We looked at the 15 most popular breast pumps on the market and considered factors including ease of use, single or double pumps, what type of breast pump it was, brand name, customer reviews and comments, accessories the breast pump has and other factors. The three breast pumps reviewed below were head and shoulders above the rest in all of the factors that we considered. Choosing any one if these three breast pumps will enable you to pump the milk you need for your baby.
Introduction to the Breast Pumps
Breastfeeding is a popular way for new mothers to feed their babies. With situations like work and having to be away from your baby, you may need to use a breast pump. Breast pumps are devices that allow you to build up a stash of breast milk for when you are not able to be there with your baby. Using a breast pump enables breastfeeding mothers to breastfeed longer which is always a good thing for the baby’s health.
There are many brands and types of breast pumps in the market for mothers to choose from. Selecting the right one for you and your needs is very important so you don’t become frustrated or discouraged. When looking at all the choices, it is very easy to be overwhelmed especially if you don’t know a whole lot about breast pumps and what makes one different from another.
The purpose of the reviews and buyer’s guide below is to help get rid of the confusion and help you make a good decision on which breast pump is right for your needs. The right information can make sorting through all the choices much easier.
Top Ranked Breast Pumps
Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump
Medela is a widely well known name in breastfeeding products. This in Style Advanced Breast Pump will make pumping milk for your baby much easier.
The 2 phase expression technology features a one touch let-down button that allows moms to produce more milk in less time when using the maximum comfort vacuum in the expression phase.
The included battery pack lets you pump anywhere at any time and takes 8 AA batteries that will need to be purchased separately. The single knob speed and vacuum adjustments let mothers customize the speed and suction for what they need or prefer.
Included in this high quality breast pump is a stylish microfiber bag that has a built in pump and holds everything you need to pump and store the milk safely. It also has a removable cooler bag that has contoured ice packs that will hold 4 breast milk bottles and an ice pack to keep the breast milk bottles cool. This on-the-go tote makes using a breast pump easy and discreet whether at home or the office.
The built in bottle holders prevent spills. This double pumping kit is the perfect breast pump that will fit most if not all of every breastfeeding mother’s needs.
Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump
The Spectra S2 is jam packed with special features that make pumping and storing milk much easier and stress free. It is designed to make mom’s life much easier.
The s2 features a system that is closed which means that there is a barrier between the breast milk and the parts of the pump. This ensures better and safer hygiene and also better motor performance as well.
S2 actually has been noted to surpass the Symphony breast pump by Mendela. It has some of the time saving features the Symphony has. It is a hospital grade breast pump that is efficient and very strong and can help a mom increase and maintain her milk supply even if she has to go back to work. It has full capacity strength of 300mmhg suction, and can be used either singly or as a double pump as well.
This breast pump features several adjustable features such as the let down mode to help get the milk flow started and the amount of suction used and the frequency of pumps. It also has a timer and convenient nightlight and a digital display that allows mom to see the settings the pump is set to.
Another super feature of this breast pump is that it is nearly silent so you can use it wherever you need to without causing attention to yourself.
Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump
Philips AVENT is another well known name in baby products. This double electric breast pump is designed to save you time and lets you provide breast milk for your baby even if you have to work away from home.
This beast pump has comfort in mind in that it allows the mother to sit comfortably upright during use rather than having to lean forward uncomfortably due to the angled neck of the pump that allows for natural milk flow.
The pump has a soft cushion with 5 massaging petals that mimic the baby’s natural sucking patterns which make the milk letdown and flow much smoother. There are only a few parts to worry about with this pump. Assembly is easy and the parts are very lightweight.
The parts of the breast pump are dishwasher safe and are easily sterilized. It also has a natural bottle and nipple for supplementing that makes latch-on and transitioning between the breast and bottle much easier on the baby. There are 3 expression settings, low, medium and high, that you can choose from after the stimulation mode. It is BPA free and has a 2 year warranty as well.
Top Rated Breast Pumps Summary
Breast pumps used to be very lightweight, hand pumps that were difficult to use. The only electric and professional grade pumps were in hospitals. Now a mother can get a high quality, electric breast pump that they can have right in their home.
All three of the breast pumps that we have reviewed above are from reputable manufacturers and are high quality and professional grade. They are designed to help mothers build up a milk supply for when they have to be away from their babies.
If you want to know more about what makes a good quality breast pump and what the differences are between the different types on the market, read our buyer’s guide below. It contains information that will explain he differences in breast pumps to you and will ensure that you understand what to look for when you shop for a breast pump for you and your baby’s needs.
Breast Pumps Buyers Guide
Breast pumps are crucial for being able to pump and store milk for your baby. Most breastfeeding moms have to be away from their babies at some point and having a way to express milk for the baby to have provides a lot of peace of mind for the mother.
There are many different types of breast pumps on the market for a mother to choose from. We have outlined the different types below so you can have the information you need to sort through those choices and consider the ones that will provide what you are looking for.
Types of Breast Pumps
- Hospital grade – Electric breast pumps are usually about the size of a car battery and weigh anywhere from 5-10 pounds. For the most part, hospital grade breast pumps are available for use in hospitals and sometimes they are available for rent. They are adjustable in the areas of suction rhythm, intensity, and pressure. Depending on the model, it may have a stimulation or letdown mode that helps the milk start flowing easier. Hospital grade pumps are expensive but some mothers that plan on breastfeeding for a long time and/or plan on having children close together may feel the expense is worth it. Many of the breast pumps that are sold in baby stores and online are considered hospital grade, so that is not something that you can only get through the hospital itself anymore.
- Personal Use, Middle-weight Automatic – This type of breast pump is lighter but a little less efficient than the hospital grade models. They are similar to a hospital grade model in that the motor helps speed up the pumping time. The motor and suction in this type of pump is good for regular pumping. Depending on the model, it may have suction motion that mimics the natural sucking of the baby which makes it easier for the mother to get the most milk from each pumping. Many of these types of breast pumps are encased in a microfiber bag or pack which makes traveling with it very easy. Take it to the office, on trips or wherever you need to with ease. The personal use breast pumps often feature adapters for use in the car, and additional accessories such as removable cooler bags, battery packs, collection bottles or containers with lids and ice packs as well. If you are returning to work and will need to pump throughout the day, this is an excellent option to choose.
- Small Electric or Battery Operated – These are the lightest and compact automatic breast pumps available. They usually run on AA or C batteries. They are small enough to easily fit into a purse or even briefcase. They aren’t too noisy to operate but the suction can sometimes be slow or inconsistent which can make using the breast pump much more difficult to produce the amount of milk you need to produce. If you can find models that have intermittent suction that will be much better on you than constant suction. If you only need to use the pump occasionally, this may be a good choice for you.
- Manual – Manual breast pumps are not good choices for regular frequent use. They are good choices if you need to pump on the rare occasion or you are in a situation where there is no power available. Look for an ergonomic handle rather than a bulb to reduce the amount of tiredness that your hand and arm will go through. They are much less expensive than electric models and don’t need batteries or outlets. Manual pumps are usually small enough to fit in your purchase or brief case.
- Hands Free – If you need to have your hands free for other tasks while you are pumping milk, you want to look for a hands free model. These models have breast shield that will attach to the nursing bra. This enables you to use the pump while reading, talking on the phone, surfing the internet or anything else you need your hands for.
Breast pumps have been around for a long time and they have improved in technology and performance over the years. With so many mothers choosing breastfeeding, it is very beneficial to find one that is comfortable to use and that can handle the needs you have for storing and pumping milk.
Breastfeeding is good for your baby and many mothers want to do it for as long as possible to provide their babies with immunities and health benefits that will last their lifetime and start them off on the right foot. In addition, breastfeeding lowers the risk of breast cancer in the mothers as well.
There are many different types and styles of breast pumps on the market to choose from so finding one that will fit your pumping needs and preferences is not impossible at all. You need to take the time to figure out exactly what your needs are when it comes to expressing and storing milk.
These answers will help you understand the kind of breast pump that will work the best for you. If you will be gone from your baby a specific amount of time each day, you will require a higher quality and more powerful breast pump than you would need if you were looking for something to handle the occasional rare bottle. Knowing the differences will ensure the best possible purchase.