With the large selection of compact camera systems available, choosing one for your needs can be a real challenge. These top rated compact camera systems are at the top of the list for features, performance and quality. See which one appeals to you the most and see if it’s a good fit for your needs.
Introduction to the Compact Camera System
CSCs or Compact Camera Systems are fairly new on the camera scene and have interchangeable lens systems. The format of these cameras has grown a lot and now photographers have quite a few choices to look at.
These top rated compact camera systems have everything a photographer needs to take great pictures. They are usually lighter and smaller than most DSLR cameras but despite the small size, still produce excellent quality pictures. They are compatible with many high-quality lenses that have been designed specifically for the CSCs.
Top Ranked Compact Camera Systems
Canon EOS M 18.0 MP Compact Systems Camera
The EOS M Digital Camera has many features that make it a great choice for the professional and amateur photographer.
The internal stereo microphone has high quality audio capture and wind noise is reduced due to the wind filter.
Users can manually or automatically control different aspects (up to 64 different levels). The built-in attenuator reduces audio clippings.
Users will have more advanced audio recording capability and is compatible with many 3rd party electrect condenser microphones.
Features include things like Video Snapshot, which can capture short video clips in 2, 4 or 8 seconds and they can be combined automatically into one video file. No editing is required after shooting. Stills can be recorded by pressing the shutter button during any video shooting.
Additional features include 18.0mp CMOS (APS-C sensor, versatile ISO Range for shooting in many different lighting conditions, DIGIC 5 Image Processor, Hybrid CMOS AF delivers autofocus speed for video and photos, A 3” touch screen that has an LCD monitor, and is compatible with the entire line of Canon EF and EF-s lenses. You will need a mount adapter EF-EOS M to used the lenses)
Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart 20.3MP Mirrorless Digital Camera
The Samsung NX3000 Wireless Smart 20.3mp Mirrorless Digital Camera has light, interchangeable lens camera providing the user with quality images that have plenty of rich color.
Even in low light, the Large APS-C 20.3mp CMOS sensor will give the user detailed, sharp shots every time. The classic, retro design has high quality premium metal accents.
The Smart Wi-Fi feature allows users to share their photos with a quick push of a button. The 20-50mm lens and flash is the ultimate in style and technology with a vintage design and a fantastic 20.3mp sensor and offers wireless connectivity too.
The flip up display is perfect for taking those selfies that are so popular and the multiple smart mode settings allow plenty of flexibility.
The body of the camera is wrapped in a covering that looks and feels just like real leather. The body is solid and sturdy and thanks to the Remote View Finder, you can perform a multitude of tasks, some of them from up to 30 feet away!
Other features include Social Media Upload, Email, PhotoBeam, DirectLink, MobileLink, PC Auto Backup, Remote Viewfinder Pro, Allshare, and Baby Monitoring too. This camera offers Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5. Add in a rechargeable battery, USB charging cable, user manual, strap and instruction manual and you’re all set.
Fujifilm X-M1 Compact System 16MP Digital Camera Kit
Fujifilm is another well known name in the camera industry. This Fujifilm X-M1 Compact system makes a real splash with amateur photographers and even professionals who want a compact camera with big features.
It is much more compact and lighter than the traditional DSLR camera but provides the user with high quality resolution that rivals the traditional full size counterparts.
Take this camera with you wherever you go effortlessly. All of this camera’s buttons and dials are on the right side of the LCD screen, making it very easy to control and direct with one hand. There is a 16.3mp APS-CX Trans CMOS sensor and a 3” tiltable LCD and built-in flash with a hot shoe.
The Wi-Fi button on the top of the camera body enables you to send photos to your smartphone or tablet. No ID or password is required. There is a 49=point AF and ISO 200-6400 can be expanded to 12,800 and 24,600. Users can perform up to 5.6 FPS continuous shooting and has a 16-50mm lens as well.
This camera is noise-free and takes blur-free photos even when the lighting isn’t at its best. If you will be shooting in very dark conditions, you may want to consider the use of a tripod. If you want some help, use the Advanced SR Auto that automatically optimizes many things like shutter speed, aperture and other features.
On its own the camera can recognize 58 scene types and can automatically set the proper settings. The high speed performance of this camera will help you get the pictures you want to get for pleasure and for business.
Top Rated Compact Camera Systems Summary
Compact System Cameras provide users with a good combination of manual control and versatile style that appeal to all levels of photographer. This smaller, lighter camera can use different compatible lenses and makes a great alternative to a DSLR.
The three top rated compact camera systems are excellent choices that are very popular with consumers for their performance, brand name recognition, quality of photographs and more. Any one of these three compact camera systems are sure to please and all three are perfect for gift giving as well.
Read the buyer’s guide below to learn a lot more about CSCs and the features they offer as well as how to choose the right one for your needs. After reading this guide you will be able to choose the compact camera that works the best for you and your needs and feel confident about your choice.
Compact Camera System Buyers Guide
What is a Compact Camera System?
A compact system camera is a smaller, lighter camera that has an interchangeable lens. It does not have the mirror box or optical viewfinder both of which are common features in a regular DSLR camera. Because they do not have those features, the cameras are much more compact and portable. Users still get the advantages of the manual DSLR with focus and exposure but in a smaller product.
All CSCs have large image sensors that produce high quality photographs that will please even a seasoned photographer. The manual controls include shutter speed, aperture, ISO and white balance as well. The do come with automatic modes for those who want to just point and take pictures without thinking about it. Some CSCs have special effects and filters that encourage user creativity.
There are many things you want to look for when you are shopping for a high quality compact camera system. Below we have outlined the features you want to look for when you are using the camera for a specific use.
- Best Beginners Camera – If you just plan on taking pictures of scenes and don’t want to mess with shutter speed, aperture or other functions the junior models will be a good fit. The style of these junior models is simple and easy to use. Most have physical controls that are only minimum specs but there are typically some fun features in there as well like filters, etc. A junior model of CSC is a good place to start. One csn always upgrade later on to a more advanced model.
- Best Camera for video Shooters – If you are looking for a camera that works for videographers, look for models with microphone ports, a headphone port, and the ability to output content without having to sacrifice anything. 4K video is being incorporated into some models of CSCs that record at a higher resolution than HD only cameras usually do. The cameras that have 4K are designed specifically for videography.
- Best Cameras for a DSLR Backup – If you own a DSLR see if the lenses that you use with it can be used with the CSCs you are interested in as well. A lot of the larger camera manufacturers have released an adaptor that csn be purchased that allow the lenses to be interchangeable.
- Best Cameras for DSLR like control – If you like having a lot of controls to experiment with, you will want to look for models that have lots of physical controls. These are located around the outside and footplate of the camera. You also want to look for customizable function buttons that will provide the user with access to the settings that you want to use the most. Some models of CSCs have hot shoes and other features such as grips.
- Best Camera to use with older lenses – If you have been a photographer for any length of time you will more than likely have a multitude of older lenses to work with that you used with the original camera. You can use older lenses on your CSC with the right adapter. You want to find models of compact camera systems that have a variety of compatible adaptors.
- Best Cameras for Image Editing – With the Android OS available for CSCs, the ability to do image editing is ready to explode within these small, compact cameras. Even if it’s through 3rd party apps.
- Best Cameras for Traveling – If you do a lot of traveling or you need a camera that is easily portable, the CSC is your camera. It offers smaller body sizes and lenses that are perfect for portability. There can be a large difference between a telephoto zoom lens for the DSLR and one for the CSC. If you plan on being a traveler, keep this in mind and look for CSCs that do not have a lot of heavy lenses to carry around.
Here are some questions to ask yourself as you are looking around at the different choices. The answers to these questions will help you narrow down your choices and will help you decide on the right CSC.
- What kind of photographs will you be taking most often? – Do you want a camera to take nighttime pictures with or are you looking for something to carry around casually? Depending on what you want to do with your camera that will determine what kind you choose. If you will be doing a lot of traveling, consider long zooms that will allow you to get closer to your subject without having to be physically closer.
- What Kind of Camera Do You Want to Carry? – Portability is very important to some users because they do a lot of traveling and don’t want to lug around heavy equipment. Others don’t care about carrying one or even two cameras around to get all of their favorite pictures. Don’t forget to consider accessories as well such as additional flashes, adapters for the older lenses and more. Decide what you want to get and then look at the different cameras that offer those features.
There are several factors that will ultimately determine which camera you end up choosing. There are a lot of different categories of CSC for you to choose from. We’ve outlined them below so you can tell the difference better.
- Ultra-compact – Ultra compact cameras are small and light and have limited zoom range. They sometimes have touch screens and built in sharing options for social media as well. These small CSCs are easy to carry around in a bag or purse.
- Travel Zoom – The travel zoom CSC is the perfect pocket sized camera that has the ability to have a long range zoom. It usually has built in GPS and/or WI-Fi. The travel zoom cameras have the ability for a little bit of manual exposure control.
- Super Zoom – Super zoom compact camera systems have very long range zooms and large rear LCDs where you can see the images that have been taken. Many of these super zoom models have electronic viewfinders and full manual exposure controls as well. They have a design that is very similar to the traditional DSLR.
- Rugged – Rugged compact camera systems are waterproof, shockproof and cold proof. They are very rugged and durable and are perfect for outdoor photography whether casual or professional. They have smaller than normal LCDs, built in GPS and a mire industrial looking design with large buttons. Their zoom range tends to be relatively limited compares to all the other features they have.
- Enthusiast – This camera offers built-in Wi-FI and/or GPS, large rear displays that are often articulated, fast, good quality zoom lens and full manual exposure. The accessory ports handle extra flashes and other photography tools. The high quality construction allows the user to relax when handling this camera and just enjoy the features it offers. It is perfect for the outdoor photographer who wants a lot of features that make taking pictures even easier.
Having a great digital camera is important if you love taking pictures. Compact camera systems come in all types and styles as we have shown above. You can find the model that would be the best for you by using the information that we provided in the buyer’s guide and the reviews and seeing which one fits your personal needs the best.
Having the right information makes sorting through all of the styles and types much easier. It’s important to know what you need your camera for and the features you want it to have before you start shopping so you choose a camera that has the features you need.
You will be able to make a confident decision that you will be pleased with and have a camera that allows you to take the pictures you want to take.