Calcium Supplements Review
The best calcium supplement is one that does not contain unwanted elements such as artificial colors, flavors or other fillers. Our pick, New Chapter Bone Strength Calcium Supplement, is the perfect way to get your daily allotment of calcium that you need for optimum health.
View on Amazon
Introduction to the Calcium Supplements
Even though a healthy diet is the best way to get the calcium your body needs, this is rarely possible in today’s busy world of quick dinners and fast food lunches. If this sounds like you, calcium supplements will definitely help you.
A good calcium supplement can make up the deficiency of calcium that you may have. Calcium is very important for you to build and maintain strong bones and teeth. You heart, muscles and nerves need calcium too making it one of the most important nutrients you can have.
Without the proper amount of calcium, you may end up having low bone mass which makes you at risk for osteoporosis. Although how much calcium you need depends on your sex and age, the fact remains that everyone from children to seniors need calcium. These supplements below will help you get the amount of calcium you need each day.
The majority of calcium supplements are good products but you need to be aware of a few things before you purchase. You want to be able to tell the difference between a good quality product from a reputable company and a supplement that contains fillers and other problematic elements. This guide will do that for you.
Top Ranked Calcium Supplements
New Chapter Bone Strength Calcium Supplement
New Chapter Calcium supplement is a Non-GMO project verified supplement that is also 100% Vegetarian, Gluten-free and Kosher to boot. It is sustainably gathered with no limestone or chalk.
Customers who use this product will also not find fillers, fish or shellfish, nuts, dairy, binders or animal by-products either.
It is a pure form of calcium that is very beneficial in reducing the risk of osteoporosis; a condition common in the elderly, especially women due to a lack of this important nutrient.
Along with improving bone strength, customers who take this calcium supplement can expect to see improvement in joint flexibility and improved heart health as well. There is fermented D3 and Vitamin K included with the calcium for a complete supplement that improves the condition and health of the bones that will lead to an improved quality of life. The tablets are created in a slim design that is easy to swallow and provides steady release for the maximum benefits.
The difference between this supplement and some others is that the most common calcium types are calcium carbonate which has been derived from limestone. This calcium is bone strength calcium which is a plant-based calcium.
Garden of Life Raw Calcium Supplement
If you want benefits that include a reduced risk of osteoporosis, an increase in bone strength and density, and a slowing of bone loss, purchase this calcium supplement from Garden of Life.
This plant-based calcium supplement has a RAW probiotic and enzyme blend that gives you all of the above benefits and more. There is 1600 IU of vitamin D3 added tht increases the absorption rate 80%.
This organic vitamin is safe for people with all kinds of food preferences since it is dairy free, gluten free, organic and vegetarian too. You won’t find any fillers or finders in it either.
Vitamin Code provides this RAW version of calcium which contains 73 minerals and trace elements that are naturally occurring. This includes boron, silica, strontium, and vanadium. These minerals are linked to increased bone health.
While it is possible to get the calcium you need from certain dairy and other foods, if you want to ensure that you get the right amount of such an important mineral, purchase this calcium supplement from Vitamin Code.
Nature’s Bounty Calcium 1200 Mg. Plus Vitamin D3
If you want strong healthy bones, then you want to be sure that your body is getting enough calcium. While it is always better to get your calcium from natural food sources, this isn’t always possible. The next best thing is a good quality calcium supplement which is where Nature’s Bounty Calcium plus Vitamin D comes in.
You get 1200 mg of calcium and 1000 IU of vitamin D so your body absorbs the calcium properly. This supplement helps support neuromuscular health and assists in maintaining a healthy immune system as well. The main benefit is bone health and maintaining good bone density so you reduce the risk of developing osteoporosis later.
The body cannot produce calcium on its own, which is why this is such an important supplement to add to your daily routine. With regular exercise, a healthy diet and the right supplement, you will have a much healthier body and life. The soft gels are super easy to swallow so you won’t have to struggle to get your required intake of calcium each day.
Calcium Supplements Summary
Calcium supplements are not all created equally so it is important to know what to look for. This knowledge will help you sort through all of the different brands and types of calcium supplements available and make a decision that is the best for your needs.
The three top rated calcium supplements that we have reviewed above are excellent products from reputable companies that are dedicated to quality without fillers. Any one of them will provide you with the right kind of calcium so you reap the benefits of this important mineral.
If you want to learn more about what calcium can do for you as well as how to choose the perfect supplement for your needs, read the buyer’s guide below. The information contained in this guide will help you understand what this mineral does for the body as well as how to choose the perfect supplement for your needs.
Calcium Supplement Comparison
Garden of Life
|Contains||Vitamins D3, |
|Vitamins D3, |
|Vitamin D3||Vitamin D3||Vitamin D3||Vitamin D3||Vitamin D3||Vitamins D3, |
|Vitamins D3, |
Calcium Supplements Buyers Guide
There are many benefits that the body receives from calcium supplements. These benefits include:
- Helping the blood clot more efficiently
- Building healthy bones
- Maintaining bone health
- Regulating and stabilizing the heartbeat
- Stimulating the secretion of hormones
Choosing the Right Calcium Supplement
There are several questions that you can ask yourself to determine which calcium supplement is the best for your needs. These questions help you narrow the selection so it is not so overwhelming.
- How well do you tolerate this brand of calcium supplements? Have you noticed that causes any side effects such as constipation? If there are side effects being noticed from one brand, try another brand before ruling out the supplement altogether.
- Is the supplement dosage convenient to take? It’s relatively easy to remember to take 1 or 2 tablets once a day. When you have to take them several times a day to get the required dosage you can end up forgetting to take the rest of the dosage which significantly reduces the benefits you will receive.
- Is the cost of this supplement within your budget? There are many different brands on the market with a variety of price points. The idea is not to look for “cheap” but to find the best price you can for the best supplement you can afford.
- Make sure that the calcium supplement you choose is going to be easy for you to continue getting.
What to Look For in Calcium Supplements
There are several qualities that you want to look for when it comes to choosing the right calcium supplement. When you start your research, make sure that the supplement you are considering has these important qualities.
- Absorbability – It doesn’t do any good to take a supplement that is not going to be absorbed into your system where it can reap the benefits the supplement provides. Make sure that the one you are considering dissolves easily. The majority of the higher quality brand name calcium supplements will have better absorbability than some of the generic ones.
A good way to check how fast the supplement dissolves is to drop a table in a glass of warm (not hot) water and watch what happens. If after 30 minutes the tablet is still whole or mostly whole, replace that brand with another one. Liquid types and chewable forms of calcium will be good choices because they are already broken down before they enter the stomach due to their forms.
The body absorbs calcium the best when it is taken several times a day in no more than 500 mg amounts. Absorbability also depends on the type of calcium you are taking. Carbonate should be taken with food for best results but Citrate can be taken any time.
- Purity – A calcium supplement with a ton of artificial colors, flavors and other fillers is not as good for the body as the pure varieties are. You want to avoid calcium supplements that are created from unrefined oyster shells, dolomite or bone meal that does not have the USP symbol. (United States Pharmacopeia) Unrefined supplements can contain high levels of toxic metals such as lead.
- Combination Supplements – Calcium that has other vitamins added are very common on the market. Many supplements have vitamin D, stating that the vitamin D helps improve the absorption of the supplement. While vitamin D is necessary for the absorption, it does not have to be taken as a combination tablet to be effective.
- Tolerance – Sometimes certain forms of calcium can cause side effects like constipation or gas. If you notice this happening, start by increasing your fluid intake and add some high fiber foods to your diet. If this doesn’t correct the problem, try a different form of calcium. You also want to gradually increase your calcium until you are taking the recommended amount. Start with 500 mg for a week and then add more slowly. Don’t take more than the recommended daily amounts without approval from your doctor.
Which Type of Calcium is Best?
There are different forms of calcium on the market, each with their own characteristics. We have provided some tips below concerning the different types that will help you choose which type is best for your needs.
- If you are considering calcium carbonate, oyster shell calcium or calcium phosphate be aware that these forms of calcium are not easily absorbed. They will require the addition of an acid PH. It is not difficult to get an acid PH unless you are taking something that suppresses acid. If you have acid reflux, these are not good forms of calcium for you to take because they will not be absorbed sufficiently. If you do not have this reflux condition you should be able to handle these forms with no problem. Be sure to take your calcium supplements with food so there is an increase of stomach acid in contact with the calcium pill.
- Calcium lactate, gluconate and citrate do not require this acid PH so they can be taken by those who are being treated for acid reflux with no absorption problems. They are more expensive than the other forms of calcium but many people prefer them since they can be taken on an empty stomach with no problems.
The different types of calcium are largely the same so it comes down to personal preference which one you want to try. Calcium chews are an easy way to get your calcium and taste great too, just remember they are not candy and keep the dosage in line with the RDA.
Determining What Type of Calcium a Supplement Has
Many bottles and boxes of supplements will tell you what kind of calcium is in the supplement you are considering. If it only says calcium on the bottle look at the ingredients list. The kind of calcium that the supplement contains will be in that list along with the amounts. There should also be a list of anything else the supplement contains such as vitamin D.
Calcium is a much needed mineral that provides a lot of great benefits to the body. It is important for the healthy development of bones among other benefits to the blood and heart. It is always recommended to get your vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat but this isn’t always easy. A good quality calcium supplement can help you get what you need each day so you get the benefits of having the right amount of calcium in your system.
The three calcium supplements listed above are all great examples of the kind if quality supplements you want to choose. If these aren’t to your liking, use the information in the buyer’s guide above to sort through the different types and forms of calcium so you can choose the one that best meets your needs and preferences.