Echinacea Herbal Supplements Review
The best Echinacea Herbal Supplement is easy to take and dissolves quickly for the best absorption rate. Our pick, NOW Foods Echinacea, is a gelatin capsule that is super easy to take even for younger people.
Introduction to the Echinacea Herbal Supplements
Echinacea is a popular herbal supplement that is commonly used to boost immunity. Many people with colds and respiratory infections use it to reduce the duration of illness. There is a compound in Echinacea that is called echinacein that keeps germs from penetrating the healthy cells.
This prevents viruses and bacteria from taking hold on your body and causing all kinds of problems. The cool thing about Echinacea is that even if you don’t start taking it until after you’re sick, it is still effective in shortening the length of time you are sick, so you feel better faster.
There are many people that use Echinacea in replacement of antibiotics because they feel that it is better for their systems. Echinacea stimulates the body’s own immune system rather than destroying both the harmful AND beneficial bacteria that is in the body the way traditional antibiotics do. As a result of this, your system is better able to handle infections and viruses on its own as they happen.
There are many illnesses that Echinacea has been effective in speeding up the recovery process of. These include such illnesses as UTIs, sore throat pain, vaginal yeast infections, hay fever, ear infections, gingivitis and sinusitis as well as others. It’s a great supplement to make a part of your daily health regimen.
Echinacea Herbal Supplements Summary
Echinacea has been used as a means of boosting the immune system for decades. It is a supplement that has many benefits when it comes to combating illnesses such as the common cold or the flu.
Taking a regular Echinacea supplement can strengthen your immune system so you can actually avoid being sick as much. If you do get sick, the severity and duration of those illnesses are typically much shorter when you have a strong immune system.
The three Echinacea supplements we have reviewed above are good quality supplements that are from reputable companies. They are cost effective and easy to swallow as well. If none of the choices above are what you were looking for, read the buyer’s guide below to learn more about this powerful supplement and how it benefits you as well as learning how to choose the right Echinacea supplement for your needs.
Echinacea Herbal Supplement Comparison
Echinacea Herbal Supplement Buying Guide
There are tons of benefits that Echinacea provides to those who take it on a regular basis. Below, we have listed several important benefits that really stand out.
- Combats Cancer – There is a lot of research that has been done regarding the benefits of Echinacea when it comes to brain cancer. The phytochemicals that Echinacea contains indicate that they may be valuable in combating tumors. More research needs to be done, but so far the findings have been in a positive direction. These findings have been published by the National Institutes of Health. Because of these findings, Echinacea is being recommended as a natural cancer treatment alongside the regular therapies already in use.
- Immune System Booster – The University of Connecticut published information that they got from 14 studies that showed that taking Echinacea on a regular basis cuts the chance of catching a cold by 58% and reduces the duration of that cold by up to 1 ½ days. With so many people coming down with colds and the flu, having a natural remedy that not only helps you avoid getting it but shortens the duration if you DO get it is a big positive. Further studies showed that the amount of Echinacea taken has an effect on the immune system as well. If taken once the symptoms of the cold or flu appear, there is a noticeable difference in how fast those people get over the illness.
- Gets Rid of Pain – Echinacea purpurea was used decades ago by the Great Plains Indians as a pain killer and those pain killing benefits are still seen in modern days. It has been shown to be very effective in treating the following types of pain:
- Headache pain
- Pain from snake bites
- Pain that comes from herpes, gonorrhea or the measles
- Sore throat pain
- Stomach aches
- Pain from tonsillitis
The best way to use it for pain is to drink it as a tea. You can even make a paste from ground Echinacea herbs and apply it to a sore tooth or other area that is hurting.
- Has Laxative Properties – Many herbs have positive effects on the gastrointestinal tract and stomach and Echinacea is no exception. It can be used as a very mild and gentle laxative if needed and is most effective for this use by drinking it in tea form. It is important not to drink too much Echinacea tea or too many supplements so the laxative effect doesn’t become a problem. The recommended dosage on the bottle should be followed unless your doctor recommends something else.
- Has Anti-Inflammatory Effects – Most illnesses usually have inflammation at the foundational level so having natural anti-inflammatory effects is a definite plus for those who take Echinacea on a regular basis. If you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, adding Echinacea to your daily routine can have a very positive and helpful effect.
- Helps Improve the Skin – Echinacea has many positive effects on the skin. It has been successfully used to treat eczema, psoriasis, skin infections, stings, and helps with wound healing as well.
- Improves Mental Health – Echinacea angustifolia has been recommended for treating specific ailments that are related to ADD and ADHD. Those who have ADD/ADHD are susceptible to emotional issues such as social phobias, anxiety and depression. It has been suggested that taking 20 milligrams a day can be very beneficial but no more than 20 milligrams a day. If this is something you want to try be certain to get your doctor’s okay first.
- Helps Upper Respiratory Problems – The following upper respiratory symptoms have been shown to be helped by taking Echinacea in the supplement form:
- All types of flu
- Common colds
- Whooping Cough
- Strep throat
- Helps Fight Infections – There are a ton of infections that Echinacea can help treat. In conjunction with medication, studies have shown that it can lower the rate of reoccurring infections by as much as 16%. Infections that taking Echinacea can help with include:
- Gum Disease
- Bloodstream infections
- Vaginal Yeast Infections
Common Side Effects of Echinacea
The side effects that can be present when taking Echinacea are almost always due to taking too much of this beneficial supplement. Some of the side effects that you may experience could be dizziness and nausea, especially if you suffer from allergies.
If you notice any unusual side effects, talk to your doctor to see if it could be the dosage. Taking more than the recommended amount does not increase the benefits but it can upset your stomach. Read the bottle’s dosage recommendations and talk to your doctor if there is any question about you needing a different dosage amount.
There are some more severe side effects that have been associated with taking Echinacea injections so do not get your Echinacea this way unless you are under the supervision of a doctor. Choosing Echinacea supplements that are the purest possible with no added fillers or pesticides can lower the chances of experiencing any side effects when taking it.
If you want to find a supplement that can help boost your immune system as well as a host of other benefits, add Echinacea to your daily routine. It is a powerful supplement that works to prevent illnesses such as the common cold and flu and can improve many other system functions as well.
The three top rated Echinacea supplements we have featured here are all from companies that are well known and respected for their quality products. The buyer’s guide provides you with information on the benefits you can expect from taking this supplement and what to watch out for as well.
If you are taking any medications for any conditions it is always better to talk with your doctor before adding any supplements to your regimen. Fortunately, Echinacea is a supplement that has very few side effects that are not caused by too high of a dose. There are Echinacea supplements for adults and kids can take it too although you will need to follow the dosage instructions carefully when giving to children to make sure they can take it, especially if they have a lot of allergies.
- NOW – https://www.nowfoods.com/
- Gaia – http://www.gaiaherbs.com/
- Nature’s Way – http://www.naturesway.com/