Fish Oil Supplements Review
The best fish oil supplement comes from the purest sources of fish and other marine life. Our pick, Dr. Tobias Omega 3 Fish Oil Triple Strength, is an excellent example of a high quality fish oil supplement that is made from high quality, pure sources and packaged to maintain that freshness and purity.
View on Amazon
Introduction to the Fish Oil Supplements
Fish oil supplements have been gaining popularity for some time now. The body needs fatty acids to help process the fats it takes in so the different organs of the body can utilize them. There are many different kinds of fatty acids on the market but the ones that are the most beneficial are DHA and EPA. You can find these two forms of fatty acids in seafood and marine algae.
Fish oil supplements are an excellent way to get these beneficial fatty acids if you do not consume the right foods to get it naturally. When choosing the best fish oil supplement for your needs, there are several things that you want to look at and consider before you purchase. If you don’t know what these factors are you could end up purchasing a fish oil supplement that is of lesser quality and that will not provide the same benefits as one that is top of the line.
The purpose of this buyer’s guide is to give you the information you need to know what to look for and how to tell the high quality choices from the lesser quality ones. This information will give you the knowledge you need to make a confident, informed decision that will result in a quality product that provides you with a large array of benefits.
Top Ranked Fish Oil Supplements
Dr. Tobias Omega 3 Fish Oil Triple Strength
The fish oil in this premium product comes from wild fish and provides users with 2000 mg of fish oil along with Omega-3 fatty acids of 1400 mg. This is broken down into 600 of DHA and 800 EPA. These figures are for 2 capsules which is a serving size.
Dr. Tobias’s premium product provides 3 to 4 times more of the Omega 3’s than other types do. Fish oil does a lot to support a healthy heart, brain, joints, mood, mental state, hair and skin too.
The enteric coating on the tablets increases the rate in which the body absorbs the supplement and prevents an aftertaste that is fishy and unpleasant. The fish oil in this supplement has been purified using molecular distillation. This removes toxins, PCBs, and heavy metals from the oil so it is ultra pure.
It’s been third party tested for nutritional value, accuracy of the label, nutritional value it provides, purity of the supplement, safety of the ingredients, and more. It is a brand you can trust. Each bottle has 180 fish oil softgels which provides a 90 day supply. Suggested dosage is 2 per day.
Carlson the Very Finest Fish Oil Liquid
If you don’t like to take pills, don’t worry. Carlson brings customers the very finest in a fish oil supplement that is liquid.
This product has been tested using the AOAC international protocols, deeming it completely potent and effective, fresh and containing no dangerous levels of lead, PCBs, cadmium, mercury or 28 other dangerous contaminants. The laboratory running these tests is an FDA registered lab.
There is 1600 mg of Omega 3 fatty acids ; 800mg of EPA and 500 mg of DHA. Taking this supplement will definitely provide you with the benefits that you can get from taking a high quality fish oil supplement. These include a healthier heart, sharp, healthy brain, joints that are free from pain and much more.
All you have to do is take one teaspoon one or two times each day. Take at mealtimes for best results. Once you have opened the bottle, keep it in the refrigerator and use it up within 3 months. Carlson, the Very Finest Fish Oil Liquid is free of preservatives and gluten as well.
Omega 3 Fish Oil
Brain Power’s Omega 3 fish oil supplement is made of 100% anchovy that is wild caught in the arctic waters off of the coast of Chili.
Once it is delivered to the processing facility, it goes through a process where it’s been refined and placed in barrels and then shipped to the GMP certified facility that is located in New Jersey, United States. This process ensures that the product contains some of the freshest fish oil in the supplement industry.
During the refining process, hot steam is passed through the oil which collects and removes any overwhelming fish smell.
This also takes care of the aftertaste problem and “fish burps” right off the bat. By taking the refinement steps a little farther to remove the aftertaste and smell, they do not have to add unnatural, chemical additives to attempt to cover up the smell.
There are over 50 doctors nationwide that personally recommend Brain Power Omega 3 fish oil as a great supplement. This product far exceeds all the standards after being rigorously tested. The company has lowered the price recently to allow everyone of every budget the chance to try it if they wanted to. They offer a risk free guarantee that states they will have their money refunded as soon as possible even if the bottle has been opened.
Fish Oil Supplements Summary
If you’re looking for a supplement that has many beneficial properties for the heart, joints and much more, take a look at the fish oil supplements we have reviewed above. All three of these products are the highest quality from companies that are dedicated to only producing the best quality fish oil supplement possible. Any one of them will provide you with the fish oil intake you need, so it’s mostly up to personal preference which way you go.
To learn more about the benefits of taking a fish oil supplement and to learn how to choose the best supplement for your needs, read the buyer’s guide below. It is full of information on what to look for in a fish oil supplement and how to sort through all the different choices available.
Fish Oil Supplement Comparison
skin & hair
the Risk of
skin & hair
the Risk of
joint and cognitive
Fish Oil Supplement Buyers Guide
The Importance of Choosing the Right Fish Oil Supplement
There are many reasons that you should take care when choosing the right fish oil supplement. We’ve listed some of the reasons below so you understand why it is necessary to be careful and thorough.
- All fish oil supplements are not created equal – Not every fish oil product will have 100% purity or have freshness locked into the product. The most notable ones go through the processing steps and are immediately packed up immediately. This method will make sure that the richest, best nutrients are locked into the product and kept fresh.
- Cost doesn’t always equal the best product – don’t fall into the habit of thinking that just because a product is expensive that it is automatically a great product. Make sure you look at nutrients, bio-availability and potency along with cost effectiveness.
- The DHA and EPA levels may vary – From one brand of fish oil to another, there will be different levels of DHA and EPA. These two ingredients are the main ones that you want to look for in a fish oil supplement. If the levels of the two main ingredients are not correct, it is not worth purchasing the supplement.
- Certain Fish Oils Absorb Better than Others – Just taking a fish oil supplement alone is not enough to ensure that you are your healthiest. If the body doesn’t absorb the oil it won’t do any good at all. The different levels of fatty acids and other ingredients will determine how well the supplement will be absorbed. Choose the right supplement based on what your body needs.
Benefits of Taking a Fish Oil Supplement
Taking the right fish oil supplement can do wonders for the health of your body. You will feel the difference in your health after taking these supplements because they are made with the freshest, purest and best nutrients possible. We’ve listed some of the benefits that you can expect to experience when you take the right fish oil supplement for your body and needs.
- Helps prevent blood clots
- Helps relax the smooth muscles which helps in controlling blood pressure and reduces cardiovascular problems
- Prevents fats from sticking to the artery walls due to preventing the oxidation of fats.
- Improves cholesterol levels
- Lubricates the joints
- Improves eyesight
- Enriches the appearance and health of hair and skin
- Helps muscles with flexibility
- Increases anti-inflammatory activity inside the body
- Improves memory
- Helps those with mental disorders like ADD and Bipolar disorder
- Helps brain development of growing babies inside the womb
- Can help people suffering from depression
How to Choose the Right Fish Oil Supplement
Types of Fish Oil Supplements
There are several forms of fish oil supplements on the market to choose from. These include liquids or syrups, tablets and capsules. When you are researching different supplements it is a good idea to decide beforehand what form of fish oil supplement you want to take.
- Liquid/Syrup – fish oil supplements are often sold in liquid or syrup form. It is much easier to consume for kids and adults who don’t like taking pills but there are a few things you need to consider before purchasing a liquid:
- Shelf life of liquid is shorter so watch out for rancid oils. Be certain to follow the storage directions to the T so they stay fresh as long as possible.
- It is harder to consume the correct amount due to differences in spoon sizes, accuracy of pouring, etc. Tablets and capsules have the preset dosages but liquid is subject to how accurate you are with your pours.
- Many people don’t like the taste of fish oil so it can be very difficult to want to take something that tastes bad when you take it.
- Tablets – Tablets are fairly easy to swallow since they are generally small in size. Kids may have a difficult time if they are not accustomed to swallowing pills. Another benefit to tablets is that there is no odd or bad smell like liquid has. One thing to watch for is that additives are not added to stabilize the tablets and cook it down further so the oil is concentrated. Unfortunately, these two steps reduce the effectiveness of the fish oil as well as the nutritional value.
- Capsules/Softgels – Of all the different forms of fish oil supplements on the market, the best and most popular form is the capsule or softgel. They have a long shelf life and the dosage is accurate in every capsule. They are tasteless and odorless as well so swallowing them is very easy. Sometimes they might be flavored but take into consideration whether you want to take a supplement with artificial flavors. If the product doesn’t use artificial flavoring, it could be a good choice.
Other Factors to Consider
There are some other things that you will want to look at when you are considering the different brands and types of fish oil supplements available. Make sure that you read the labels and description of every one you are interested in. You can find out a lot through both of those. You will be looking for the following points to see how they compare and stack up to what you want.
- Purity – Some brands of fish oil supplements come from fish and other sea life that come from pristine waters in the Antarctic or Arctic regions that have not been subjected to contamination by various pollutants. This produces pure specimens in which the supplements are made. The nutrients that come from these sources are also the best you can purchase.
- Freshness – depending on the company the supplements come from, many will start packaging right on the ships they are sourced from. This ensures that the freshness of the product is at its peak. This freshness is enhanced by packaging and bottles that are specially made to ensure freshness.
Balance Makes a Difference
The right balance in fatty acids and vitamins are what makes up the best fish oil supplement you can purchase. We have provides some final pointers to think about in your research. These pointers will make a difference in the supplement you choose and your satisfaction with that product.
- The 7 important things to look at when considering a fish oil supplement include:
- Remember that not all fish oil supplements are created with the same care or concern for freshness and purity. Do you due diligence and look at the different supplements and make sure that they are not oxidized , made with low quality ingredients or they could cause problems.
- It is easier for the body to absorb natural fish oil supplements rather than purified ones.
- Some supplements are made from endangered species of fish. Look for products that have been certified by the Marine Stewardship Council to avoid participating in using endangered species.
- The levels of DHA and EPA can determine the potency of the supplement. The structure of the fats that are present in the fish oil is also a factor. Pay attention to those levels.
Fish oil supplements are very beneficial to improving the health and well being of those who need the extra fatty acids. Fatty acids are not the same thing as bad fat so don’t worry about gaining weight or becoming unhealthy by taking a fish oil supplement.
If you have decided that you want to add this valuable supplement to your daily routine, you want to take the time to do the research and find the best supplement you can.
The three top supplements featured above are a great place to start. All three of them are the best of the best and embody the things we have talked about in the buyer’s guide. If none of those choices work for you, take the information you have learned in the guide and apply it to every supplement you are considering.
Using this information will ensure that you can make an informed decision and purchase a fish oil supplement that will be of high quality and that will provide all you need and want in a supplement.