Cooking Utensil Sets Review
Our top choice of cooking utensil set includes many of the assorted pieces regularly used in preparing and cooking food. In a quality set, pieces are made from durable, long-lasting materials that don’t wear down or break easily. Our top pick, the Culinary Couture Cooking Utensil Set, meets all these requirements.
Cooking utensils are kitchen tools that you use when you are preparing and cooking food. They are most often used during preparation and then again during serving. They are simple kitchen accessories that can cut, grate, strain, stir and more. There are thousands of different brands and types available.
Having a large selection makes it difficult to choose the exact set to fit your needs. One benefit to having a large selection is the variety and choices that it provides. You want to find a high-quality set of utensils that will not bend, melt, or otherwise breakdown.
The majority of people don’t give extra thought to cooking utensils but there is a difference between a high-quality set that will last years and a cheaply made set that you must replace in a year or two. Cooking utensils are made from a variety of materials and many different pieces can be included in a set.
This guide is designed to help you sort through the huge selection of cooking utensils on the market so you can choose a set that will meet your needs and preferences. Cooking utensils are crucial kitchen supplies that help professionals and kitchen cooks prepare and serve delicious foods.
Best Cooking Utensil Sets
Having the right cooking utensils is critical to having well prepared dishes in the kitchen. Without serving and stirring utensils it can become difficult to prepare the meals you want to cook for family and friends.
A good quality cooking utensil set should be a staple in every kitchen. They may include a variety of pieces but the most common and critical pieces include: slotted spoons, a pasta server, spatulas, and serving spoons.
There are several things you need to consider when you are shopping for a good quality cooking utensil set. Quality construction and materials are of the utmost importance when choosing your set because these two factors play a big part in how long the utensils will last.
The three, top-quality, professional-grade utensil sets we featured above have been designed and constructed to last a lifetime. They include all the pieces you need to prepare any dish properly and easily. Read the buyer’s guide below to learn more about the kind of utensils you should look for when purchasing for your kitchen. Also learn how to sort through the hundreds of choices to make an educated decision.
Cooking Utensil Set Comparison
|Material||304 Grade |
Cooking Utensil Set Buying Guide
Listing all the cooking utensils that exist could take years. The best and most efficient way of describing the different kinds of utensils is by group, basing each group on the different materials that are used.
- Silicone – Silicone cooking utensils are available in several colors and are very durable and more hygienic than other styles. Silicone cooking utensils are heat resistant and the high-quality brands will not melt or burn like cheap varieties. Silicone is dishwasher safe but can be safely hand-washed as well. Silicone utensils typically have stainless steel handles with silicone heads and sometimes they also have silicone or rubber on the handles.
- Stainless Steel – This widely-used material is common in the construction of cooking utensils, especially in professional kitchens. It is strong, hygienic and will last a lifetime. Stainless steel is also rust proof. Although stainless steel utensils can be safely washed in the dishwasher, hand-washing is recommended to avoid permanent spotting which is a common problem linked to dishwashing detergents. Some stainless-steel cooking utensils are made of one solid piece and others may have rubber or silicone on the handles for improved grip and comfort.
- Plastic – This type of cooking utensil is the cheapest and least durable of all the different types. Plastic melts and burns when used in high-heat applications and has no real durability. Those who use plastic utensils may have noticed that when cooking anything heavy, plastic can be flimsy and bend when you don’t want it to which makes it much harder to prepare and cook food. Plastic is a good choice for temporary use or emergency use but for long term use, you will be better off purchasing silicone or stainless steel.
- Wooden – Wood has been used as a material in cooking utensils for a long time. It can be seen used in the making of spoons, spatulas, and more. Wooden utensils are beautiful but they do not do well in dishwashers. They can dry out and can crack and split when used in high heat applications. If you decide on wooden utensils, be sure to hand-wash them and pat them dry right away. Do not let wooden utensils soak in the sink or the wood will get soft and weak.
Other Types of Utensils
Aside from the standard slotted spoons, serving spoons, spatulas, and pasta servers, there are a few other utensils that are good to have on hand. Some cooking utensil sets have these additional pieces such as the EliteKitchenware set we reviewed above. Otherwise, you may have to purchase them separately, piece by piece.
The extra pieces that are very useful in the kitchen include whisks, can openers, rubber tipped spatulas, rolling pins, mashers, zesters, graters and more. High-quality cooking utensils sets often have these extras that will match the main set so you can have coordinating utensils in your kitchen.
One decision that you should make early on is whether you want to purchase full sets or buy the utensils one piece at a time. The convenience of buying sets, even though they are more expensive, can often outweigh buying piece by piece, especially if the set contains everything you need to prepare the dishes you want to cook.
How to Buy Utensils
The suggestions and tips below will help you sort through the myriad of styles, colors and types of cooking utensils so you can purchase the set that will meet your cooking and preparation needs.
- Decide what utensils you use the most. If you are not sure what you would use, take a walk down the utensil aisle of your local department store and see what is available. Make note of the types you prefer, the look and design of them, and what kind of utensils you want to include with your existing kitchen pieces. This will help you choose a set that includes everything you want and need.
- What type of cooking do you do? If you do a lot of sautéing, frying and stove top cooking you will definitely want to choose a cooking utensil set that is made of long-lasting and durable, stainless steel or silicone. Either of these materials will not melt or burn when used in frying pans or for sautéing at high heat.
- Is color important? If you are looking for a cooking utensil set that coordinates with your kitchen, you will want to look for silicone cooking utensils which are available in many color choices. The silicone set that we mentioned above, the Culinary Couture Set, is available in many beautiful and vibrant colors that can match any number of kitchen themes.
- Don’t look for cheap pieces – You get what you pay for when it comes to cooking utensils, or anything else for that matter. If all you are looking for is cheap, expect to not be satisfied with the look or performance of the utensils. This doesn’t mean you need to spend a huge amount of money, but if you look for quality sets you will not have to continue purchasing new pieces to replace those that become old and worn out.
There are so many different cooking utensils and utensil sets on the market. This can make it feel like a real challenge to choose a perfect set. Now that you have read this buyer’s guide, you will understand the types of materials used in making utensils and determine which ones are the best for you based on your own preferences and needs.
The information in this guide is designed to help you sort through the many, varied choices and get the best cooking utensils you can for the money you would like to spend. If you follow the guide, you will end up with a cooking utensil set that will last a lifetime. Your perfect set will make cooking and preparing meals much quicker, easier and more enjoyable; leaving more time available to spend with family and friends!
- Culinary Couture – http://culinarycouture.com/
- Kitchen Maestro – http://www.kitchenmaestrocollection.com/