Dish Racks Review
The perfect dish rack provides the capacity you need in a durable and long lasting design. Our pick, Umbra Sinkin Dish Rack, is the perfect size for our college age kid.
Introduction to the Dish Racks
Dish racks are one of those items that many forget about until you need them. This kitchen essential is very useful for daily use since dishes are usually done on a daily basis.
There are many different types of dish racks on the market to choose from. Which type you choose is largely up to personal preference but there are some differences between the types that can make certain dish racks better suited for the job than others.
There are a few things you want to look at when you are researching dish racks. These considerations will help you sort through the different styles and options and eliminate the ones that won’t work for you.
The purpose of this buyer’s guide is to provide you with the information you need to learn these considerations as well as learning about the benefits and drawbacks to each type of dish rack.
Dish Racks Summary
Dish racks aren’t the most exciting purchases in the world, but when you find one that has all the things you want and need it can make doing dishes a lot easier. Since dish racks are used on a daily basis, they are much more important than you may realize at first.
The three dish racks we have reviewed above are all top rated dish racks that are popular for many reasons. They are all constructed from long lasting, durable materials that will stand up to the demands of daily use for a long time to come. Any one of them will work well for your dish drying needs. They are good examples of a few of the different types of dish racks available on the market.
To learn more about the different types of dish racks and their characteristics, read the buyer’s guide below. It is filled with information that will help you in your research and shopping adventure. This information will take the guesswork out of finding the perfect dish rack for your needs.
Dish Rack Comparison
|14.00 x 11.00 x 5.25||20.20 x 13.00 x 4.10||16.50 x 12.00 x 5.50||13.81 x 17.62 x 5.93||21.80 x 20.20 x 14.30||5.00 x 10.25 x 6.75||17.75 x 13.00 x 9.75||17.00 x 13.00 x 13.00||12.00 x 19.00 x 5.00||12.80 x 12.80 x 17.50|
|Stainless Steel||Stainless Steel||Plastic||Stainless Steel||Bamboo||Bamboo||Stainless Steel||Plastic||Plastic|
Dish Rack Buying Guide
You want to choose a dish rack that will last for three to five years or more under daily use. There are a lot of different types of dish racks on the market. They are made of different materials, have different styles and have different dish capacities as well.
With all of these choices available, you need to know what each type of dish rack offers in the way of features and options. You also need to know what your dishwashing needs and volume is so you choose a dish rack that will easily accommodate the dish load you have.
Dish racks can be very different in design. Some may have flat collection trays for water drippings while others may have trays that drain at an angle into the sink. There are also differences in the materials that are used when making dish racks.
This can include wood, plastic, stainless steel and coated metal wire. Last but not least there are differences in the design of each type of dish rack. Some are designed to fit into the sink or over it, some are full sized dish racks that will hold an entire meal’s worth of dishes. There are also collapsible dishes. Each type of dish rack has its advantages that we will list for you below.
Types of Dish Rack Materials
There are several different materials that are used to make dish racks. Here are some of the more common materials and their advantages.
- Wooden Dish Rack – Wood is a great choice for those who like a more rustic style kitchen. Bamboo is one of the most commonly used material. It is sustainable and naturally anti-microbial. They are also water-resistant. Many of the wooden dish racks fold completely flat for easy storage. Wood dish racks are an eco friendly option since they are made from sustainable materials.
The key to keeping wooden dish racks safe and bacteria free is to make sure they are kept clean and dry. Once the dishes have been dried and put away, wipe the entire dish rack down and dry it before you fold it up and put it away. It is also good to put linseed oil on the rack to prevent it from drying out too much and cracking. Even though wooden dish racks require more maintenance, many people love the look and tone they bring to their kitchens and feel like the work is worth it.
- Metal Dish Rack – There are many features that metal dish racks have that make washing dishes more convenient. Some of the features can include draining systems that draw the water away from the dishes and put it into the sink. They are also very durable and will last indefinitely with proper care, even under daily use.
Metal dish racks come in many different sizes and dish capacities as well. Other features can include the ability to fold up for storage, removable silverware organizers and sections that are divided to keep glassware separate from pots and pans. Metal dish racks look great in any kitchen and match all color schemes and décor. They are simple to keep sanitary and clean. They are a good choice for any kitchen.
- Plastic Dish Rack – This is the most inexpensive of all the choices and has a lot of variations. A lot of plastic dish racks can fold up for easy storage. They usually come in a large variety of colors and sizes to fit your needs. They are lightweight and can be cleaned and even bleached easily if needed. Some plastic dish racks have antimicrobial properties to prevent mold and mildew from building up and contaminating the clean dishes.
- Baby Dish Rack – Baby dish racks are specifically for baby items like bottles, pacifiers and containers. There are some unique designs available, one of which looks like grass. The tall, flexible, plastic blades allow the bottles and other things to air dry naturally and safely. Baby dish racks are always BPA free.
- Two-Level Dish Rack – This super sized dish rack allows more dishes to dry at one time and it won’t take any extra counter space. They come in wood, chrome and hard plastic materials and have a lot of places to put drying dishes. Two tier dish racks are a lot more appealing to look at than the typical standard dish racks. They are very convenient for getting a lot of dishes done without having to stop and dry the dishes by hand because the dish rack has gotten full.
Types of Dish Racks
There are several different styles of dish racks as well. We have listed the different kinds so you are familiar with each style and can determine which one you prefer.
- Over the Sink Dish Rack – This style fits inside the sink and doesn’t take up any extra counter space. The drawback to this is that it does take up one of the sinks so it is a tossup which space you can do without. Most over the sink varieties are made from coated metal wire and have slots for plates and bowls. Some have removable utensil holders.
- Foldable Dish Rack – Many of the dish racks available come in foldable varieties. Metal, plastic and wood can all have foldable designs. The benefit to having a foldable dish rack is that it is much easier to store away without taking up counter space or sink space. Make sure that you clean and dry the dish rack before you put it away to ensure no mold or bacteria is growing.
Dish racks come in all shapes and sizes. It is beneficial to you to know what your dishwashing load is before you purchase a dish rack. This will enable you to choose the one that works for your specific needs. It is always better to choose a dish rack that is a little larger than you need rather than one that is not big enough.
Dish racks are a necessary and convenient way to help people get their dishes dried after they are washed. These dish racks eliminate the need to hand dry items which can save time and energy. With all of the different choices on the market, there is a large selection of dish racks that you will be able to choose from to find your perfect one.
The top rated choices we have featured above illustrate a few of the types of dish racks available. All of them are easy to use, easy to clean and convenient. If none of these are what you were looking for, the information provided to you in this buyer’s guide can help you identify the right dish rack for your needs.
It may not be the most important item in your kitchen but it provides a lot of convenience for those who wash dishes by hand. Even those with dishwashers have to wash some things by hand so having a good quality dish rack can make the drying process a lot easier.