That was our top criteria for selecting the best granite cleaner.
If you are ready to cut through the dirt right away, Granite Gold Daily Cleaner scored high marks in all categories and is our top pick.
Top 10 Granite Cleaners
|Rank||Picture||Cleaner||Quantity (fl oz)||Scent|
|4||Black Diamond||32.00||Fresh Flower|
|9||Better Life||16.00||Pomegranate, Grapefruit|
|10||Granite CPR||18.00||Apple Orchard|
Granite Cleaner Comparison
Granite Cleaner Buying Guide
Getting into the habit of cleaning your granite and using a good granite sealer will make your countertops last for decades. There are many different types of foods that can etch or dull your granite. It is important to use hot plates or mats under hot dishes.
Never take something straight from the oven to the granite or damage could ensue. There are certain ways that you should deal with different spills and messes to ensure that there is no damage. Granite is a stronger countertop than some other stones and doesn’t need the same type of care that other stones might.
Taking Care of Spills
If something gets spilled on your countertop, taking care of it is super easy. Blot the spill immediately remembering not to wipe the area at first. Blotting prevents the spill from getting wider. Flush the area with water and use your granite cleaner on it and you’re good as new again. Make sure you dry the countertop as well.
Cleaners to Avoid and Why
- Using Glass Cleaner – glass cleaners like Windex can damage a granite countertop permanently. The damage gets caused by the dulling and pitting of the surface of the counter. It doesn’t happen immediately; it is usually done over time and extended use of glass cleaners. Glass cleaner can also damage the sealer that is on your countertops, causing it to be susceptible to stains.
- Dish Soap – You would think that something like dish soap and water would be safe to clean your counter with and this is true; however, what dish soap WILL do is leave a residue and film that will dull your countertops and give them a milky look even if you use a towel to dry it off. Avoid the soap and water and just use the granite cleaner and your kitchen counters will continue to shine.
- Home brewed recipes – Anything like water and vinegar or water and dish soap are not the appropriate ways to clean granite counter tops.
Although some may feel frustration at having to buy a specialty cleaner to keep their granite in beautiful condition, the cleaners are not excessively expensive, they last a long time and they work beautifully. It is much better to spend the little bit of extra money rather than having to spend a lot of money repair or replacing the damage the general cleaners caused.
Don’t Use These Products
Never use the following to clean your granite countertops.
- Lemons or lemon juice
- Limes or lime juice
- Abrasive cleaners (like comet)
- Scratchy sponges or brillo pads
Don’t worry if you have already been using these things on your countertops. Just switch now and long term damage will be halted.
Caretaking Routine for Granite
Daily caretaking of your countertops can leave streaks but if you are using the right products this isn’t something you will have to worry about much at all. Taking care of the granite countertops is easy. Just follow the following time table.
- Daily – Use the specialty granite cleaner each night after getting the dishes washed and the counters cleared. Using the granite cleaner will sanitize and clean the counters properly with no damage. Don’t over spray the cleaner; a little goes a long way.
- Bi- Weekly – Polishing your granite countertops should be done around every two weeks or so.
- Yearly – Once you have initially sealed the granite countertops, you should check to make sure that you don’t need to reseal them on a yearly basis. If you have used quality cleaner and they were sealed properly, to begin with, you will more than likely not have to reapply the sealant for years. Do the water drop test to ensure that the sealant is intact. (put a couple of drops of water on the counter and wait 5 minutes. When the seal is in good shape, the water will bead and remain on the counter)
Don’t forget to clean the grout between any granite tiles you may have in the bathroom or backsplash in the kitchen. This should also be done with a granite friendly cleaner.
When you are looking at different granite cleaners there are several things you want to ask yourself about it. We have listed these considerations below.
- Is the cleaner a polish also?
- Is the cleaner a sealer?
- Does the cleaner use ioSeal Protectants?
- Is the cleaner Nontoxic?
- Is the cleaner Non-acidic?
- Is the cleaner organic, natural or derived from natural ingredients?
- Does it state it is streak-free?
- Is it safe for food prep areas?
- Is it biodegradable?
- Is it pH balanced or neutral?
- Do you need to rinse it off after using it?
- Does it cause buildup?
- How often can it be used?
- Is the brand well known?
- What do other customers have to say?
This may seem like a lot of questions to ask to sort through granite cleaners but the majority of these questions can be answered by simply reading the bottle and sales description. It is worth it to take the time to ensure a good quality granite cleaner that has got all of the features you want especially since granite countertops are not cheap. You want to take care of them so they look good regardless of whether it is the first day you have them installed or 5 years later.
Granite cleaners are specialty cleaners that are designed for granite countertops. Most of them are also compatible with other stone countertops. It is important to use this type of cleaner when you have granite countertops in your kitchen or bathroom. Using regular cleaners and abrasives can cause the dulling film, discoloration, and even putting on your expensive countertops.
Even though you may not notice damage or discoloration right away from using products you shouldn’t be, it is an unnecessary chance to take when there is a simple and reliable alternative.
The three granite cleaners we have featured above are great examples of products that have the kind of features you’re looking for. They are all great cleaners that provide sanitation of the areas as well as exceptional cleaning that results in mirror-like finishes and a beautiful looking counter for years to come.
The information in this buyer’s guide was designed to help you understand the cleaning process involved in cleaning granite and other stone and how to choose the right granite cleaner for your needs.
There are some great products available so finding one that meets your needs and fits your budget will not be impossible. In fact, with this buyer’s guide and the information in it, choosing the right one will be super easy.
- Granite Gold – https://www.granitegold.com/
- Supreme Surface – https://www.supremesurfacecleaners.com/
- TriNova – https://gotrinova.com/collections/for-the-home