There are many different metal detectors on the market. Some are perfect for beginners and others are mire high-tech and better for those who take metal detecting to higher levels. These top rated metal detectors are some of the most popular on the market today. We’ll share their features and other information about them that make them customer favorites. One of these top rated choices might be just what you’ve been looking for.
Introduction to the Metal Detector
Metal detecting has become a very popular hobby all over the world. The joys of hunting for treasures are enjoyed by people of all ages. There are different levels of metal detectors and many different styles.
The best way to determine what kind of metal detector you want to purchase is to decide what you want to do with it, where you will be using it, the features you want and also the accessories you need, if any.
The top rated metal detectors we have reviewed here are great hobby detectors for adults and youth. They are customer favorites because of the features and capabilities they offer. If you’re looking for a good quality metal detector for discovering what hidden treasures are around your area one of these top rated metal detectors are perfect.
Top Ranked Metal Detectors
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger Metal Detector
Why is it the Top Pick?
The Gold Digger Metal Detector from Bounty Hunter detects all kinds of treasures from iron to coins, household items to silver or gold.
This metal detector comes with headphones and a 1/8” jack that you can use during your treasure hunting sessions so you keep your treasure hunting private.
There are several different modes available that you can run the Gold Digger metal detector in. One of them is the Motion all-metal mode detects all types of metal. You will need 2 – 9 volt alkaline batteries to run the Motion all-metal mode. (batteries not included)
You will be able to identify silver and gold jewelry and coins that are up to 6” underground. It can sense large items up to 2 feet deep. The automatic tuning and ground balance work with the treasure meter and sensitivity controls to zero in on all kinds of precious metal treasures that may be lurking underground unseen.
The convenient trash eliminator feature prevents you wasting your time with things like nails and cans. If you don’t like wearing headphones, you can use this metal detector without them due to the built-in speaker. This is a great metal detector for those who like to find coins, jewelry, relics, gold prospecting and other applications. It works for both adults and kids thanks to the versatile adjustability that it has.
The 7” weather resistant coil prevents it from getting messed up if you are outside hunting when it starts to rain. It is not recommended to use the metal detector in the rain. But it can handle getting damp while you are getting out of the weather and getting it put away. Users have 6.6 kHz of treasure finding power.
The length of the metal detector adjusts from 34 ½” to 45 ½” and it weighs 2.2 pounds. Users who buy the Bounty Hunter Gold Digger get a 5 year limited warranty that covers any defects in workmanship and materials.
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Why is it a Top Pick?
Enjoy the hobby or metal detecting with this Bounty Hunter TK4 Metal Detector. The rugged construction of this detector is perfect for looking for treasure even in extreme ground conditions. There are three modes that this metal detector offers:
- Motion All-Metal
- Discrimination Mode
- 2-Tone Audio Mode
Users have the opportunity to preset the ground balance which neutralizes response to the mineral content in the ground for maximum performance.
The Disc/Notch control helps distinguish between targets and unwanted items like cans and nails so you’re not getting excited for nothing.
The TK4 Metal Detector can detect coin sized targets that are as much as 8” underground and can detect larger items as much as 2 feet underground. It will detect all kinds of precious metals including:
The three position mode switch allows users to switch modes very easily. It has a ¼” headphone jack for using headphones is the user desires. The 8” waterproof search coil can be used in damp weather as well as searching for things in shallow water. The Built in speaker allows the unit to be used without headphones.
The TK4 weighs 4.2 pounds and operates at 6.6kHz. This unit also has a 5 year limited warranty against any defects, providing the user with plenty of peace of mind that they have a good quality metal detector. The TK4 is the world’s most popular metal detector and is the number one selling unit on the market for metal detecting hobbyists.
Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector
Why is it a Top Pick?
If you’re looking for the perfect metal detector for your young treasure hunter, the Bounty Hunter Junior Metal Detector is sure to please.
This compact and lightweight metal detector is perfect for treasure hunters, ages 6-12 years old. It has the power to detect objects up to 5” underground and can detect larger objects as deep as 3 feet!
The discrimination control eliminates you wasting time digging up unwanted items like nails and cans. The target meter measures the signal strength so as you get closer to your item, the signal will increase. It’s easy for youth to use as well as beginning adults.
The length can adjust from 20 ½” to 31 ½” and it weighs only 1 ½ pounds making it very easy for younger and smaller kids to hold. The search coil is 6 ½” weather resistant coil so it can be used in damp weather with mo issues but should not be submerged in water of any depth.
Another benefit to the Junior Metal Detector by Bounty Hunter is the low battery indicator that lets users know when it needs to be charged. Adults and kids alike will love the comfortable, ergonomic handle that makes holding and sweeping very easy for any age.
Users get a 1 year limited warranty for added peace of mind that they have a good quality metal detector that is perfect for treasure hunters…even the youngest ones.
Top Rated Metal Detectors Summary
Coins, jewelry and other valuables get lost all the time. Finding items that have been lost can be a lot of fun, which is why metal detecting has gotten to be such a popular hobby. If you like the idea of discovering lost treasure, metal detecting may be the perfect hobby for you.
The first thing you need to do if you’ve decided to take on this fun and exciting hobby, is to find the right metal detector to get started with. With all of the choices available on the market, it may be really overwhelming to try and sort through them all and come up with one clear winner.
The top rated metal detectors we have reviewed are perfect for the beginning treasure hunter but also the experienced one as well. All three of them are from Bounty Hunter, a well known name in the metal detecting industry and known for quality products.
Continue reading the buyer’s guide below to discover the ins and outs of choosing the right metal detector. With the right knowledge and information, sorting through the choices becomes easy and you can make an informed decision with confidence.
Metal Detector Buyers Guide
What is a Metal Detector
A metal detector is a portable, electronic device that is used by hobbyists and serious detectors alike to locate all kinds of metal that may be located underground. It could be junk, jewelry, coins, precious metals like gold and silver or even old historic relics. One of the many appealing things about metal detecting is the surprise discoveries that are made. This is one of the things that lures people in and gets them hooked.
How does a Metal Detector Work?
The simple answer to this question is that metal detectors use electromagnetic and their effect on conductive metals. The detector sends a magnetic field into the ground and anything that is metallic will be charged with that magnetism. Once that has happened, a signal is sent back to the metal detector and alerts the user that something metal is underground in that area. The higher quality metal detectors will also tell you what kind of metal has been found and how far underground the item is.
Metal Detector Components
All of the metal detectors on the market regardless of the make and model have the same components. We have listed these components below.
- Stabilizers – The stabilizer of a metal detector is the support that rests against your arm so it stays steady while you are moving it back and forth. They make it much more comfortable to hold and move the metal detector. It also prevents it from twisting uncomfortably while you are using it. Depending on the unit, the stabilizer may be an option you can choose or it may be part of the standard equipment.
- Control Box – The control box of the metal detector is where all of the circuitry, signal display, controls, speaker and batteries are located. On some models the signal display will be am LCD screen and on others it will be a meter that is read.
- Shaft – Adjustable shafts are preferable because they can be adjusted to fit different heights and accommodate different arm strengths. The shaft design on some units is a flattened S which makes the controls and signal display easily accessed.
- Search Coil – This is the part of the metal detector that locates the metal that is underground. It has also been called a search head, a loop or an antenna. Some search coils are water resistant and higher end models are waterproof, allowing the user to search under shallow water.
- Audio Headphone Jack – almost all metal detectors have the ability to use headphones. Using headphones is actually preferable to going without because it gets rid of background noise distractions and it extends the battery life as week because they take much less current to run than the speakers do.
- Target Selectivity – This is an important filter because it allows users to filter out the objects that are not worth anything like nails, screws, cans and other things of that nature. Being able to adjust the discrimination to allow for looking for specific metals.
Common Metal Detector Terms and Features
If you know the terms that are associated with metal detecting, you will have a much easier time sorting through all of the choices when you start shopping for one. We’ve listed the common terms and features below.
- Detectorist – the avid metal detector enthusiasts are often called detectorists, whether they do it professionally or for a hobby.
- Target – Any metal object that the metal detector can pick up is called a target. They can be super valuable like gold coins or diamond rings or as worthless as a nail.
- Ferrous and Non-Ferrous – Ferrous metals include steel, iron and alloys of iron. Non ferrous items contain copper, aluminum, lead, nickel, brass, gold, silver and platinum. Some models of metal detectors have a discrimination feature that users can program for either ferrous or non ferrous metals, or you can choose all metals.
- Target ID – The target ID feature tells the difference between a target and the depth it is underground. It is distinguished by one of three ways: an audible tone, a visual meter or an ID number on t he display or meter.
- Discrimination – All metal detectors have a discrimination feature of some kind. It is helpful when the detectorist is looking for a specific kind of metal. When a user sets the discrimination, it allows you to be able to ignore the useless items and focus on the ones that might be worth something. There are several different types of discrimination. We have outlined the differences below.
- Variable Discrimination – This is simplest form of discrimination. It uses a control knob to set the level of discrimination that is desired. If the discrimination is set low, it will pick up everything from a paper clip to a cannon. Move up a little to medium and that will overlook less corroded metals and the highest setting will locate only larger pieces of non-ferrous metal
- Iron Masking– Iron masking blocks all ferrous metals from the metal detector and only locates the more valuable non-ferrous metals. This is a setting most often used by those looking for gold.
- Notch Filter Discrimination – the notch filter blocks a narrow group of metal objects based on the ferrous properties. It allows the user to customize the types of things that are found.
- 2-D Discrimination – This is a very advanced filter that uses an LCD screen the will show a graphic picture of the item in question. This allows the user to see the object in a 2 D format based on conductivity and ferrous properties.
- Tone/Meter – Set the metal detector without discrimination because you will get an audible tone when the metal detector locates something of interest. Depending on the metal, the tone will change, lower conductive metals having a lower alert tone and highly conductive metals having a high pitched alert tone.
- Sensitivity – This term is used to describe how deep and far the metal detector can detect objects.
- Ground Balance – Some areas that you may use a metal detector will have a higher mineralization content than others will. Sometimes the soil is ionized (like wet beach sand) or it has high levels of iron (like black sand, clay or hot rocks) Ground balance means that the high mineralization of the soil is zeroed out so it doesn’t conflict with the metal detectors ability to work.
- Volume Control – If you are wearing headphones, the volume control will be of good use. By using your headphones, the battery life of your metal detector will be longer and you will be able to hear faint signals that background noise may drown out.
Metal detecting has continued to be a very popular hobby for people of all ages. One can go to a beach without seeing someone with a metal detector at some point looking for lost treasures. There are many benefits to engaging in this hobby such as being able to be outside, finding all kinds of cool treasures, and even finding valuable items.
The top rated metal detectors here are all perfect for the person just getting started in metal detecting but they are advanced enough and have plenty of features that make them good for intermediate detectorists too.
Now that you understand the terminology and know what to look for, you are ready to choose a metal detector that will bring you many hours of enjoyment and entertainment. Decide ahead of time what type of metal detecting you want to do so you get the features that will make it easy to accomplish the metal detecting goals you have.