Outdoor Tiki Torches Review
A good quality, outdoor tiki torch will be sturdy, strong, and stylish. It will also offer a fuel source that is easy to use and convenient to supply. Our top pick, Newhouse Lighting Solar LED Tiki Torches, are an excellent choice for anyone wanting to enhance their outdoor living space.
Introduction to the Outdoor Tiki Torches
People that love outside entertaining receive a lot of pleasure from decorating their outdoor space. Outdoor tiki torches are very popular for adding a warm, tropical feel that is great for entertaining guest or even for sitting and enjoying alone. Originally, these tiki torches were developed to light homes and pathways before electricity. Now they are used for decorative purposes and can be functional as well.
Outdoor torches come in a variety of designs and styles; from tall torches, which can be as tall as five feet, to table top varieties that can be placed around a seating area. They can be casually designed bamboo or a much fancier design with glass and ornate metal such as copper or brass. Many people use them along walkways or near pools to add a tropical atmosphere to the area.
When looking for the best outdoor tiki torches for your space, there are several things you will want to take into consideration such as the different types of tiki torches as well as where you are able to place them in your garden or outdoor entertaining space.
It is also helpful to be aware of the different fuel sources tiki torches use and the safety measures and guidelines that each type of torch may require. With the many choices available it can be a little intimidating to figure out which type of tiki torch is best for your outdoor space and entertaining needs.
Outdoor Tiki Torches Summary
Even though the original use for tiki torches isn’t a necessity anymore, thanks to the discovery of electricity, they are still very popular. They can add a tropical ambience to yards, patios, pool areas, gardens and along paths too. Most tiki torches have tall, decorative poles that hold a fuel well and a wick on top. If you purchase the newer LED designs, there is no need for fuel oil or wicks.
Tiki torches can be used to create light, ambience, and even get rid of bugs when they burn Citronella oil. There are many different types of tiki torches on the market, from fuel-burning models to solar-powered designs. There are several things you want to consider before you purchase outdoor tiki torches for your yard.
Outdoor Tiki Torch Comparison
Outdoor Tiki Torch Buying Guide
This purpose of this guide is to help you understand the differences between tiki torch styles so you can eliminate those that don’t meet your needs. You’ll be able to make a great choice based on this information and you will feel confident that the choice you make will work for your needs, lifestyle, and budget.
Outdoor tiki torches are available in several different materials from bamboo to glass to metal. The type you choose will depend on your outdoor decorating goals and personal preferences. Continue reading below to learn more about choosing the right outdoor tiki torches for your outdoor living space.
Types of Tiki Torch Fuel Choices
Most torches use two main forms of fuel: either oil or gas. There are also available in solar- powered LEDs as well. We have provided an overview of each fuel type below.
- Oil Torches – Most tiki torches that require oil as their fuel use kerosene, paraffin, or citronella. Of these three oils, paraffin burns the cleanest and citronella is used to keep insects away which is a non-toxic option to keep insects at bay. One of the benefits of using citronella is that it burns slowly and doesn’t produce smoke. For the best protection against insects it is best to place torches about 15 feet away from each other. The tiki torches that use kerosene or regular oil are inexpensive to keep burning.
- Gas Torches – Torches that use this type of fuel are more expensive than those that take regular oil or kerosene. The benefit to using a gas-fueled tiki torch is that they require very little maintenance and they produce terrific light. The gas-fueled models have a control that allows you to determine how much flame you’d like to use. When you have multiple gas tiki torches, they can all be set to the same size flame by using the controls and adjusting the flame. Gas torches do require an initial set up, but once that is finished, things become very simple. One thing to keep in mind is that once the gas lines are set they are essentially permanent and cannot be easily moved. Doing so will require additional investment.
- Solar Torches – This is the safest type of outdoor tiki torch and they are good for the environment as well. There are no open flames involved in solar torches and they don’t produce fumes. There is very little maintenance, if any, and they are great for using around children and pets. Many models come with batteries that are rechargeable. A solar tiki torch will need 4 to 5 hours of continuous sun to run long enough at night. You will not have to turn the tiki torches on; they come on automatically as soon as it is dusk. Even though there are no flames, they can still produce a beautiful light in your outdoor space and many people prefer these to using oil or gas.
Outdoor Tiki Torch Styles
There is a wide range of unique styles and designs available when it comes to outdoor tiki torches. While some people like the traditional bamboo or rattan torches; others like something more individual and unique. With so many designs and styles to choose from, it can be a challenge to decide which to choose.
Materials – Tiki torches are available in a large variety of materials including copper, glass, steel, and aluminum. Some have metal bases and others do not. Some of the table top designs look like pieces of artwork that can be placed in the center of your outdoor tables.
How Many Torches Do You Need?
It is more practical to have outdoor tiki torches that can be moved around as needed. Where you decide to place them and how far apart you place them will determine how many you will need for your area. In general, plan on placing the tiki torches about 15 feet apart or so. You will also need to make sure that they are not placed any closer than 3 or 4 feet from a seating area.
If you want to illuminate a path, alternate the torches on either side of the path to provide a beautiful look that won’t look too uniform. The lighting from tiki torches can either be accent lighting or functional lighting.
You can also group them around pools, fountains, ponds, and seating areas. To make sure that you get the proper amount of tiki torches for your area, measure the total length of your area and divide by 15.
Even though the NEED for flame torches has been eliminated with the invention of electricity, people have continued to love the look of them in their yard. They are functional and yet provide a beautiful ambience in your yard for yourself and for guests.
All it takes is a little creativity and you can transform your yard or garden into a beautiful oasis with a soothing and relaxing place to sit and enjoy the evening. Be sure to invite over a few guests to share the warmth!
Make sure that you take into consideration your lifestyle and preferences before you purchase your outdoor tiki torches. Considerations such as the type of fuel you prefer, whether the torches will be around children and pets, how often you will be using them, and how large of a space you want to light are all important factors to think about.
The information in this guide is designed to help you determine your own needs and preferences so that you can sort through the multitude of choices out there and eliminate the styles you don’t want. This will enable you to make the best decision on which outdoor tiki torches are right for you.
- Newhouse – http://www.newhouselighting.com/
- Tiki – http://www.tikibrand.com/
- H Potter – http://www.hpotter.com/