We spent over 30 hours researching and testing 15 different types of hedge trimmers and found that noise level, cutting thickness, and warranty were most important. The Toro Cordless hedge trimmer scored high marks in all categories and is our top pick. This 24” trimmer runs on a 24v lithium ion battery. It charges fully in one hour. The ergonomic handle is easy to hold and use even for long trimming jobs. It can cut branches as thick as 5/8” in diameter. The cordless design allows trimming without having to worry about cords getting in the way.
There are many people out there who are very serious about keeping their lawns manicured and nice and that includes the hedges that can run along your front lawn or front porch. Unkempt hedges can make a house look really sloppy. It’s very easy to improve the look of your whole house by keeping up with the hedges in your front lawn.
You might think that using the hedge trimmers take a lot of skill or talent, but the truth is, they are relatively simple to learn and as long as you are just doing basic trimming, there’s not a whole lot of experience needed to keep your hedges neat and trim.
Investing in the right hedge trimmer will prevent you from having to waste money on buying other models when the first one isn’t what you needed. That is why our reviews are so valuable. They are designed to save the consumer money, time and energy.
Top 10 List
|Rank||Picture||Hedge Trimmer||Bar Length (Inches)||Cutting Thickness|
|2||Black & Decker||22||3/4|
|4||Black & Decker LHT2436||24||3/4|
|5||Black & Decker NHT2218||22||3/4|
Toro 51496 Cordless 24-Inch Hedge Trimmer
The power and durability of the Toro 24” cordless hedge trimmer makes trimming hedges simple and easy.
It is powered by a 24v Lithium-ion battery that provides users with a long run time. When it needs a charge, hook it up and it only takes an hour to fully charge.
The handle is ergonomically designed and rotates 90 degrees in each direction. This convenient feature makes it easy and comfortable to handle as well.
The 24” cutting width gives users an extended reach and the cordless design makes accessing hedges anywhere you need to simple since there’s no cord to worry about. This makes the Toro hedge trimmer a good choice for large yards where dealing with a cord just isn’t practical.
You won’t get tired so quickly thanks to the light weight of the trimmer and the dual action blades, along with the soft grip, minimizes vibration which can reduce hand fatigue. This hedge trimmer measures 8” x 8” x 36”. Customers have even more peace of mind with a two year warranty that protects against defects or mechanical problems. It will easily cut through tall weeds and branches that are up to 5/8” thick.
Black and Decker LHT2220 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Black and Decker’s 22” cordless hedge trimmer will have your whole yard looking tidy and manicured in no time.
The 20v MAX Lithium battery provides plenty of power and it has many features that make it even easier to use.
The full, wrap around front handle with cushioned grip makes it very comfortable to use no matter what you’re cutting.
This powerful hedge trimmer can cut branches up to ¾”, making even the larger branches easy to get rid of. Hand fatigue is a thing of the past since the Black and Decker has 40% less vibration than other trimmers.
You also won’t have to worry about running out of battery juice since you will be able to trim up to 3000 square feet on one charge. The Lithium-ion battery will hold a charge 5x longer than regular NiCad batteries.
Weighing a little over 5.5 lbs, this convenient and easy to use hedge trimmer will be a pleasure to use. It is Energy Star qualified and customers get a two year limited warranty as well for additional peace of mind.
Earthwise CVPH41018 18-Inch Electric 2-in-1 Pole/Hand Held Hedge Trimmer
This 120v 2.8 amp hedge trimmer will make quick work of all your trimming needs. It will cut branches that are up to ¾” in diameter.
One of the things that makes this hedge trimmer different is the fact that it can be used as a pole hedge trimmer too for tall jobs that are far above your head.
The pole extends from 18” all up to 12 feet. It can be adjusted to 6 different cutting positions and can convert to a hand held trimmer as well very easily.
The 18” cutting blade makes hedge trimming an easy DIY endeavor. Instead of paying to have your hedges or smaller tree branches trimmed, you can do it yourself.
The head of the trimmer rotates 150 degrees and has 5 convenient positions to cut hedges and branches in all kinds of situations. The extendable pole comes in two sections and is made from durable fiberglass. If you’re looking for a versatile hedge trimmer that can help you get rid of some taller hedges and branches, this Earthwise 18” electric 2-in-1 is just what you need.
These well made hedge trimmers are a cut above the rest due to their ease of use, lightweight construction and extended battery life. They are the perfect yard tool for all of your trimming needs. Don’t spend money getting your hedges trimmed by an expensive lawn care business. These top rated hedge trimmers will pay for themselves in no time.
Another benefit to these trimmers is that they are affordable and come with warranties as well. They will definitely make lawn work easier and even enjoyable when you see how effortlessly they trim you hedges and small trees.
If you’re not sure whether these top rated models are what you’re looking for, our buyer’s guide will help give you the details and knowledge to understand all the options you have when it comes to hedge trimmers. There are a lot of different models and brand names out there and choosing the right one can be overwhelming, especially if you don’t know a lot about them.
It’s important to make sure you have the facts that will help you make a choice that will fit your hedge trimming needs. Understanding what makes one hedge trimmer better than another can prevent you from purchasing one that you will end up returning or just sticking in the garage while you spend more money on another one. Make the perfect choice for you the first time and get started having that neat and trim yard.
Black and Decker
Black & Decker LHT2436
Black & Decker NHT2218
|Voltage||24 V||20 V||120 V||40 V||18 V||40 V||18 V||40 V||18 V||24 V|
|Cut strokes |
|8.00 x 8.00 x 36.00||35.00 x 7.30 x 7.50||71.00 x 7.50 x 5.00||39.20 x 7.30 x 7.50||36.00 x 7.30 x 7.50||77.80 x 4.50 x 8.00||43.00 x 11.00 x 9.00||39.50 x 7.50 x 9.50||39.00 x 10.00 x 10.00||37.80 x 7.30 x 5.50|
|Amperage||2 A||2 A||5 A||2 A||2 A||2 A||5 A||2 A||2 A||2 A|
|Noise Level||85 dB||85 dB||85 dB||87 dB||87 dB||85 dB||87 dB||85 dB||87 dB||85 dB|
What is a Hedge Trimmer?
If you only have a hedge or two in your yard you probably don’t need a powered hedge trimmer, but most homes don’t only have one or two hedges. A hedge trimmer makes quick work of hedges and even trees that have small branches that may be in the way. A hedge trimmer will help you keep the bushes and shrubs in your yard under control in a very easy manner.
There are a lot of different models of hedge trimmers available for consumers to choose from. The different types and features that different models can have can prove to be very overwhelming to someone who does not have detailed knowledge of a hedge trimmer. That’s why we have provided this hedge trimmer buyer’s guide.
We will go over the features that a good quality hedge trimmer has and arm you with the information you need to be able to sort through all of the choices and come up with the right model for your needs and your lawn. Some models of hedge trimmers can do more than just clipping hedges and bushes. They can be used to prune perennials, cut small branches and even be used to do more intricate cutting of your bushes and hedges.
With all of the different features and models that are available, you want to ask yourself these questions before you start looking around for the hedge trimmer that you want.
- How big is your lawn? – The size lawn you have is definitely a consideration when it comes to whether you choose a corded or a cordless hedge trimmer. Corded trimmers will work fine for a smaller yard but become liabilities when the yard is very large or the hedge rows are extremely long.
- Will you be cutting larger branches? – The majority of hedge trimmers can cut branches up to ½” in diameter. If you’re looking to be able to cut larger branches, you may find a few models that can cut ¾” but larger than that and you may be looking at another tool being better. But for ½” and lower, and all hedges and shrubs, a hedge trimmer is the way to go.
- How often will you be using it? – If you are going to be cutting hedges as a business, or you do yard work on a frequent basis, you want to invest in a more powerful and durable hedge trimmer. If you just do your own hedges on a bi weekly or weekly basis and you don’t have too many, you will be fine looking at the lighter weight models that are designed for lighter work.
- Do you prefer corded or cordless models? – Depending on the size of your yard and the proximity of outdoor outlets, you may have a preference between corded models and cordless models. Corded models typically have more consistent power but some users don’t like having to mess with a cord. Cordless varieties can be real handy, but are not good choices if you have a lot of hedges to trim.
There are several features that you will want to look for when you are shopping for a hedge grimmer. These features make the trimmer easier and better to use, longer lasting and makes the work of hedge trimming much more pleasant.
- A powerful motor – You want to make sure that the hedge trimmer you are looking at has plenty of power to get the job done without extreme effort. This is especially true if you have a lot of hedges to trim or you are dealing with older hedges that have much thicker branches to deal with.
- Rotating blade – A rotating blade makes it much easier to cut hedges and bushes and allows for the user to hold the hedge trimmer comfortably and cut at all kinds of angles without risking safety.
- On/Off switch that locks – If your hedge trimmer has a locking on/off switch you will find that longer trimming jobs are a lot less tiring since you do not need to continue to hold the trigger down. If you have children or pets that could be around while you are trimming the hedges you do not want to engage the locking on switch for safety reasons, so you can cut the power quickly if need be.
- Lightweight – If you have a lot of hedges to trim, you don’t want to have to lug around a super heavy hedge trimmer. Lightweight does not have to mean flimsy or poor construction. If it is lightweight, you will be able to use it for a longer period of time without becoming excessively tired.
- Less Noise – Professional landscapers are used to wearing eye protection and ear protection but home owners may not realize that they should use ear and eye protection as well. Some of the models of hedge trimmers will run louder than others. Look for the models that advertise that they have noise reduction features. Some of the models may be so quiet; they are not a nuisance at all.
- Solid Warranties are Important – You want to make sure that the model of hedge trimmer you purchase has at the minimum, a two year warranty. Things can happen and you want to be certain that you’re covered in the event your hedge trimmer wears out too soon.
There are three basic types of power sources that hedge trimmers use. It is important to know what type of power source you want to use. We have gone over the three types below.
Corded Hedge Trimmers – Electric corded hedge trimmers are popular because they are typically less expensive than other models, more lightweight and don’t have a limit on the power supply. They are also not expensive to keep maintained. They are not as powerful as gas powered hedge trimmers but perform better and more consistently than cordless varieties. One of the drawbacks to electric corded hedge trimmers is that they are restricted by the availability of outlets and their cord. If you have an extensive yard to trim, this could become a problem.
Cordless Hedge Trimmers – Cordless hedge trimmers have many benefits that make them a popular choice among home owners. If you want to cut down on your power usage, these are good choices to make. Some models even have additional features that make it more of an energy saver. Cordless hedge trimmers are easy to transport, easy to maintain and easy to start. They are also very quiet to operate so if you have noise ordinances in your neighborhood, they are a good choice. Most cordless hedge trimmers have a battery life of anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. If you only have a small amount of hedges to trim, a cordless model will work well. Cordless hedge trimmers are usually less expensive than gas powered models.
Gasoline Hedge Trimmers – With a gas powered hedge trimmer you will have much more power, the cutting will be faster and it can even cut wet hedges easily. Gas powered hedge trimmers are also very easy to move around from place to place. If you have a large lawn with lots of hedges, the gas powered hedge trimmer will be perfect. These types of hedge trimmers are often used by professionals because they are so fast and can be moved around easily. They are more expensive to maintain and you will have to remember to mix the fuel to ensure proper operation, but many users feel it is a small price to pay for the increased versatility and power.
Choosing the right hedge trimmer can be a problem if you are not sure what to look for. We’ve taken care of that mystery in this buyer’s guide so you know exactly what to look for and what factors to take into consideration when you are looking at the different models available.
We’ve highlighted the top rated hedge trimmers on the market and given you the features to look for so the hedge trimmer you choose works for your needs and preferences. One of the best ways to avoid purchasing the wrong product is to do your research in the form of reading reviews and reading the buyer’s guide we have provided.
Now that you have the information you need to make an informed decision, you can look around at the different models that fit the criteria that you are interested in including the type of power source it has.
Having this peace of mind when you shop makes it much easier to find what you’re looking for without any second guessing.