We considered 20 of the most popular safety glasses available on the market and looked at durability, style, design, materials used, coverage, UV protection ability, and compliance with federal standards. The three pairs of safety glasses featured below are way ahead of the other choices in all of the categories considered, making any one of them a good candidate for you purchase.
Introduction to the Safety Glasses
Safety glasses are used in many different work environments and play environments as well. They are typically made of durable polycarbonate. One of the biggest pluses that safety glasses offer is that they are resistant to shattering.
They can still break and they will not last a lifetime but they do a great job of protecting you from injury from small and large particles and projectiles that can unexpectedly show up during certain situations.
Choosing the right pair of safety glasses is not something to be taken lightly. They are protecting your eyes so finding a good, high quality pair is very important. The purpose of safety glasses is not to be used for such activities as paintball and other situations where things might be purposely focused directly at your lenses. They are created to protect the eyes from flying debris and particles.
The majority of safety glasses on the market provide the wearer with high levels of UV protection so many people wear them as sunglasses as well. This is even more prevalent now, with the advanced styles and designs that are available.
Top 10 Safety Glasses
|4||Dewalt DPG59||Clear||Scratch Resistant|
|7||DeWalt DPG94||Clear||Scratch Resistant|
|8||G & F||Clear||Ballistic Resistant|
Top Rated Safety Glasses Summary
With all of the professions and activities that safety glasses are necessary, it is not surprising that they have come such a long way from the clear plastic, clunky and unattractive design of years past. Now, safety glasses have flashier designs, more style and tons of safety features that allow them to do their job protecting your eyes while making you look great too.
The three top rated pairs of safety glasses are the best of the best, having tons of style and safety features that will keep your eyes protected while you are working or playing. All three of these safety glasses will be great in any number of applications.
Continue reading below to learn about choosing the best pair of safety glasses for your specific needs. This information will help you sort through all of the less-than-high quality designs and only consider the best that to meet your needs.
Compare: The 10 Best Rated Safety Glasses
|1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||4th Place||5th Place||6th Place||7th Place||8th Place||9th Place||10th Place|
G & F
|Protection||UVA/UVB||UV||UV400||UV||UV||UV||UV||UV-A, B, C||UV||UVA / UVB / UVC|
Safety Glass Buying Guide
Things to Consider
There are several points to consider when you start looking for the right pair of safety glasses for your needs. You don’t only want to look at the price. There are a lot of other factors that make up a high quality pair of safety glasses. Looking at all of these factors will help the right pair of safety glasses emerge from the list if you choose to.
- Materials are very important to the quality of the safety glasses. Look for types that have polycarbonate that is high quality virgin. The recycled varieties are less expensive but they tend to have a lot of distortion, yellowing of the lenses and tend to be a lot less durable.
- Another important factor to look for is lenses that have no distortion. This allows the user to see through the lenses free and clear of any obstacles and distortions and allows them to be worn for many hours without it causing any problems.
- The size of the safety glasses is an important factor, especially if you are going to be wearing them over the top of your prescription glasses. Some people get specially made safety glasses that have their prescription. This can be a little costly, but if you use safety glasses on a regular basis, you may want to consider getting your own pair of prescription safety glasses.
- Fit is very important and there are many features that will ensure a great fit. Soft nosepieces, soft pieces on the temple areas of the safety glasses and a thinner, flexible frame adds a lot of comfort to the safety glasses. Look for lightweight as well which will not sit so heavily on the face.
- Finding safety glasses that have lenses that are replaceable is a great way to cut costs without cutting quality. When it comes to safety glasses, the lens will be the most costly part. Even if you chose to just purchase the lenses you will pay a price.
- The level of protection your safety glasses will provide is made up of several things in addition to the cooler. Many of the additional aspects are side shields, brow guards and lenses that wrap around.
- Other features that you may find appealing include:
- Eyelet holes on the temple ends
- Lenses that are hard coated
- Lenses that have an anti-fogging coating
- UVA and UVB filters that protect from sunburn
- Lens tinting that matches the type of application you will be using them for.
Professions and Activities where Safety Glasses are Worn
There are many different jobs and professions where safety glasses are necessary. We have listed several below. The list isn’t all inclusive and there are many more professions that require safety glasses on a regular basis, but this list gets you started thinking about the type of use your safety glasses will have.
- Using chainsaws
- Cutting concrete
- Construction work
- Masonry work
- Metal work
- Trimming hedges
- Mowing the lawn
- Weed eating
- Pressure washing
- Scraping paint
- Water blasting
Safety Lenses at Work
Companies have different levels of protection depending on what they are doing. Make sure you know what level of protection you will need for the different professions you may be engaging in. Most companies will let their employees know what kind of specialized eye protection they will need and what will be acceptable. Some of the professions that use safety glasses on a regular basis include:
- Drywall sanders
- Professional painters
- Pipe fitter
Best Safety Glasses for Sports
When it comes to choosing safety glasses for sports use, there are a few things you want to be sure of. An elastic band is very helpful for holding your safety glasses on your head while you are participating in different sports activities.
Look for lenses that provide high impact protection, especially during activities such as shooting and hunting. Wraparound style frames that features matte coloring and anti-reflective coated lenses will get rid of any reflective distractions.
If you are a hunter, they even have safety glasses that have camouflage patterns on them. If you’re participating on golf or other types of sports that require your vision to be sharp, don’t rule out lenses that have an amber tint or a yellow one. This will increase and enhance the contrast.
If you’ll be fishing, the wraparound styles of safety glasses will offer protection from fish hooks. Polarized tints cut the glare that can come from the water. Eliminating this glare will help your eyes feel much better.
If the outdoor lighting is changing a lot, consider photochromic lenses. These provide maximum comfort and excellent vision. Even a sport like paint ball can be very dangerous without the proper protection for your eyes. It is important to never take your eye protection off while you are in the active playing sections.
Your eyesight is very important and it is up to you to make sure that it stays protected and safe. Safety glasses can help you achieve this. It doesn’t matter if you wear prescription glasses or not, whenever you engage in an activity or sport that has dangers to your eyes, you should be wearing safety glasses.
With all of the choices that are on the market, choosing the right pair may feel like a daunting task that you have to get through. This is not the case when you have the right information on hand to understand the differences between different safety glasses and when you are aware of the features that safety glasses can offer.
Take the information that is in this buyer’s guide and use it to sort through the different choices that are available and decide on the right pair of safety glasses for your needs. The right information will help you make the right decision and purchase a pair of safety glasses that will fulfill your specific safety glasses needs.
- DEWALT – http://www.dewalt.com/
- Safe Eyes – http://www.safe-eyes.co.nz/
- Delta – http://www.deltatrackproducts.com/products.html