We spent over 24 hours researching 12 different types of wood fillers and found that curing time, capacity, and type were most important. Carpenter’s Color Change Wood Filler by Elmer’s scored above the rest in all categories and is our top pick. We loved the color change that went from purple when first applied to white when it was dry so we knew when it was ready. We also liked that it could be stained or painted without any problems. It is conveniently priced, very easy to use and clean up, and can be used for a number of tough jobs.
Wood filler is a fantastic product that helps you to patch wood up so that it looks like new, and then you’re able to paint it, sand it, and finish it to your specifications. There are a number of different kinds of wood fillers on the market, and these feature different formulations that work for different kinds of jobs. When looking for the right wood filler for you, it’s best to first understand what kind of project you’re going to be working on, and then which kind of wood filler will accommodate that project. These top rated wood fillers are the ones that are most versatile, and they can conquer a number of different kinds of wood-filling projects.
Top 10 List
|10||J-B Weld 8258||60||2.00|
Elmer’s Carpenter’s Color Change Wood Filler, 16 oz., White (E917)
The patented formula of this wood filler goes on purple and then dries white so that you are ready to sand, stain or paint your wood. The formula is also stainable, paintable, and sand-able, so that you can get the job done right. This product appeals to light dyers, and it’s for interior use only.
The non toxic formula is made in the USA, and comes from Elmer’s, a brand name that everyone can trust. The 16 oz bottle is just the right size for you to tackle a number of jobs, and it’s easy to use and portable, so that you can take it on the go to any job site.
Customers love this wood filler because it can handle the toughest jobs, and it comes at a price that most consumers can afford. When you’re ready to handle all your wood finishing tasks with ease, then you’re ready for a wood filler of this caliber.
Carpenter’s Wood Filler, Interior Only, 16 Ounces, E849D8
This pint wood filler from Carpenter’s is for interior use only, and comes in a 16 ounce size that is just the right amount of product to get the job done. It’s perfect for dents, scratches, holes, and gouges, and once you have the wood filled, you’re then able to paint and finish the wood to your specifications.
There are a number of great uses for this wood filler, and you’re going to see that it gets the job done right, and better than the competition. Customers love this wood filler because it’s easy to take on the go, and it gives you a solid finish that you can depend on.
There are a number of different wood fillers on the market, but this is a top pick because it’s affordable and dependable. You’re going to see that your wood looks better than it ever has before, and it will have a fine finish that looks as good as new. Give yourself the gift of perfect wood with this fine filler that is sure to help your wood surfaces stand the test of time.
3M Bondo Home Solutions Wood Filler
This home solutions wood filler from 3M comes from a brand name that consumers can trust, and it helps to restore and replace rotted and damaged sections of wood on your doors, windows, fences, furniture, shutters, and so much more. There’s nothing more unsightly than wood that has fallen apart, and that’s why a high quality wood filler such as this is important for fixing that frayed wood so that you have a great surface that looks as good as new.
Customers love how easy this product is to use, and it’s still portable enough to take on the go, and comes at a price that you can afford. There’s no reason to have to put up with tattered wood, and that’s why this product was created, to help you to restore that wood so that it looks perfect.
These top rated wood fillers are the formulas that customers can depend on, and they help you to get long lasting results that you’re going to love. Filling your wood is vital when you want to keep it looking healthy and new, and these products are going to help you to achieve just that. You can either purchase one of these top rated formulas with confidence, or you can consult our buyer’s guide to see what other kinds of wood fillers are on the market. There’s so much to choose from, and that’s why knowing what it is that you’re looking for is a real help. This buyer’s guide is going to take you through some of the various formulas that you’ll find on the market, as well as which jobs they’re suited for.
What is a Wood Filler?
You use wood filler for various wood repair projects around your home, and there are different types of fillers that work great for various kinds of projects and needs. Some types of wood fillers work great for small repairs, while others are suited for large gapes and holes that you find in your wood. It’s best to review the various kinds of wood fillers that are on the market, and read what customers have to say, so that you can find a product that is going to work for your specific task. It’s also great to read reviews because you can then pick up on certain tips that are going to help you to use the filler properly, so that you get the best out of the product. Lets take a look at some of the key features that you want to look out for when you’re hunting for the right wood filler.
There are basically four different types of wood fillers on the market. There are cellulose-based fillers, gypsum-based fillers, vinyl fillers, and epoxies, and each have their own unique features that make them right for certain jobs. You can review the various types, characteristics, and kinds of uses, and then decide which one is right for you.
- Cellulose-Based: This kind of cellulose based filler contains a combination of binders and wood fibers. It comes in a dry, mixable formula, or as a pre-mixed solvent. You can also find it as a water soluble pre-mix. There dry formulas are particularly useful because they have a long shelf life, they’re also inexpensive, and you can mix as much or as little as you need. Keep in mind that pre-mix solvents will dry more quickly. You can use cellulose fillers for any outdoor wood project, such as when you’re working on the porch or the fence.
- Gypsum-Based: This kind of filler is made of mineral powders that are mixed with water and form a crystalline substance that will not shrink or pull away from the edges of the filled space. Only use this kind of filler on spaces where you know you are going to paint afterwards, because it’s going to be prone to stain. You want to use this kind of filler only for indoor projects, and that’s because they’re not waterproof.
- Vinyl-Based: Vinyl-based fillers are going to consist of calcium carbonate mixed with polyvinyl acetate dispersion or emulsion as the binder. This is a lightweight and fluffy substance that is very easy to handle, and you can clean it with water. The formula dries quickly, but you should apply it in thin coats. Thick coats are going to crack when they get wet. This is the best kind of formula for small repairs on plasterboard or wood that you intend to paint. This will not stain, and sometimes it’s going to leave a white residue.
- Epoxies: An epoxy is a two-part, petroleum based filler that works as an adhesive or wood consolidate. When this combines with other materials, a strong wood filler will form. This kind of filler does not tolerate wood stains, but you can saw, sand, and nail over the substance after it dries. This bonds well with wood and it’s resistant to moisture, so this can be used outdoors for many kinds of projects. You can build up thick layers of epoxy to fill larger holes in window frames and sills, and it’s also great for porches and other areas.
There are a number of wood fillers on the market, and that’s why choosing the right one can be difficult. Once you review the different kinds of fillers, you can find the top rated products, like the ones that are mentioned above. Each top rated wood filler has its own unique features that are going to make it perfect for specific jobs. Lets take a look at some of the key features that you’re going to get with each type of wood filler.
- You can mix it with water to form any desired consistency
- The drying time will vary according to consistency and the size of the patch
- You can use it both indoors and outdoors
- Great for sanding, priming, painting after the product dries.
- Will permanently bond to wood
- Helps to fill holes, cracks, and voids
- No odors
- You can change the color by adding dyes
- Dap plastic wood filler
- It looks and feels like wood after hardening
- Can use indoors or outdoors
- Dries in 2 hours
- Must paint if used outdoors
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- You can paint or sand over the set product
- Fast drying and cleans with water
- Non-toxic and safe to use around children and pets
There are a few basic tips that you need to know about to successfully fill your wood. You can use any type of tool you are comfortable with when working with fillers. You can employ a putty knife, cotton swab, craft stick, or finger work when you are applying and smoothing the substance that you use. You want to make sure that you press the filler and allow it to set and dry for the specific amount of time. It’s best to remove excess filler around the edges to avoid a sloppy look. You can check to see if the filler is dry by making a small indention with the thumb nail. If you get an indention, then the filler will need a longer time to dry.
There are numerous places that you can find quality wood fillers. Not only are they sold at your local hardware store, but you can also find them online on Amazon or eBay. You will find this product at a lower price when it’s at retail stores or from other vendors. If you’re looking online, then be sure to use the keywords ‘wood filler’, and then see what you come up with. When looking on eBay, you can then narrow down your search by looking for a specific type or brand. When you’re shopping in the store, be sure to talk to the customer care associate so that you can find the specific kind of project that you’re looking for. When shopping at somewhere like the Home Depot, you’ll see that the associates are very knowledgeable about a number of different kinds of tasks and projects, and they’ll most likely help you to find a formula that is just right for your specific job.
Keep in mind that most wood fillers are pretty affordable and all of them cost relatively the same. But you should still be conscious of what your budget is so that you purchase something that meets your needs. The most important consideration is what kind of job you’re working on, and whether it’s indoors or outdoors. This will dictate which type of wood filler you purchase. There are four basic types of wood filler, and when you’re constantly working on various wood jobs, then you may want to consider owning one of each. No matter which kind of filler you choose, you want to be sure to read the directions thoroughly before use, and this ensures that you will properly employ the product so that you get the best results.
There are tons of wood fillers on the market, and the one that you choose should suit your specific needs and budget. You need to begin by asking yourself what kind of project you’re working on, whether it’s indoors or outdoors, and whether or not you’ll be painting or staining the wood afterwards. The top rated wood fillers are ideal for most wood projects, and you can be sure that when you purchase one of these you’re getting a product that you can depend upon. The buyer’s guide will also help you to better understand wood fillers, how they’re used, and what kinds are best suited for certain projects. No matter what formula you buy, you need to be sure that you read the instructions fully before using.