We spent over 20 hours researching 12 different types of car covers and found that cover material, material thickness, and size were most important. The OxGord Executive Storm Proof Car Cover scored high marks in all categories and is our top pick. It’s made from oxford cloth and provides 7 levels of protection for your vehicle. It is sun-proof, waterproof and dust proof as well so your car will stay looking good as new despite the conditions. The elastic hems and drawstrings that are on the front and back made it super easy to put on and fit properly.
Best Car Cover
Car covers are used to protect a vehicle’s paint job from scratches and the elements as well as dust and dirt. They can be vehicle specific or universal covers. These top rated car covers will work for a variety of makes and models and most of them have the ability to choose the length of car you have or in some cases the make/model itself.
Sometimes it seems that scratches can show up on a vehicle out of the blue. While a car cover can prevent ALL damage and possibility of dust, dirt and grime getting on the paint, it can reduce it to a very small amount. Your paint job will look better longer and it will preserve the condition of the car.
Top 10 List
|1||OxGord||97 - 229||7|
|2||ONLY||177 - 183||5|
|3||Leader||142 - 170||3|
|4||Classic||191 - 210||1|
|5||Budge||157 - 200||1|
|6||Classic 261001||191 - 210||3|
|7||Auto Armor||157 - 228||1|
|8||Signature||97 - 204||5|
|9||Motor Trend||157 - 210||1|
|10||XCAR||170 - 200||1|
OxGord® Executive Storm-Proof Car Cover
This semi-custom car cover is the perfect choice to protect the body of your vehicle. Finding the right fit is accomplished by using inches as the form of measurement.
It is designed for sedans and would more than likely not be a very good fit for mini vans and SUVs. It can fit sedans up to 229”.
The Oxgord Ready fit cover is made from oxford cloth and offers 7 levels of protection. It is easy to fold up and is dust proof, waterproof and sun proof too.
Oxgord is a well known and trusted brand name in the automotive industry so you can be confident that this car cover is well made and does what it states it does.
For extra durability, it has reinforced seams and the material it’s made from is very breathable. The 7 layer car cover consists of 5 layers of Polypropylene that is spun bonded, 1 layer of micro-porous film and 1 layer of soft cotton so it feels soft in your hands as well.
One of the popular features of this car cover is the elastic hems and drawstrings that are on the front and rear that make the fit even better. You will also get tie down grommets which will offer your vehicle the most protection, even in high winds since the cover can be tied down.
ONLY® Innovative Car Cover
Convenience and speed are the keywords when it comes to the ONLY Innovative car cover. They are so sure that their car cover is faster and more convenient than others that they offer a full refund if it isn’t in your opinion.
They also will replace it during the first 30 days if it is broken in some way or it doesn’t properly cover the car as expected due to poor quality.
The ONLY Innovative car cover can measure anywhere from 167” to 206”. The ultra thin design is not bulky and hard to store but it is super strong too, much more so than the cheaper made designs.
As a result of this thin and durable material, your car’s paint job will be protected well from the elements as well as other potentially damaging factors. It is also sun proof and waterproof to boot.
If you’re looking for a superior car cover that is easy enough for a first time driver to use, then the ONLY Innovative car cover will fit the bill nicely.
Leader Accessories Waterproof Breathable Outdoor Indoor XGuard Car Cover
Get maximum air circulation that will protect your vehicle from UV rays, pollutants, rain, snow, dirt, dust and heat with the Leader Accessories Car Cover.
Thanks to the breathable fabric, any moisture that gets under the cover can easily evaporate and not cause any issues for the vehicle.
The durable and strong sealed seams are 100% waterproof which means your vehicle is safe from heavy downpours as well.
You won’t have to worry about any damage to the paint job thanks to the UV resistant fabric that the Leader Car Cover is made of. It also keeps pollutants in the air off the paint as well.
There are a lot of things that can affect a car’s paint and exterior: rain, snow, excessive heat, dust, and dirt. With a good quality car cover, you don’t have to worry about those elements anymore.
It is super easy to handle and storage is simple as well. It comes with free storage bag and a two year warranty as well. When it comes to protecting your vehicle, whether it’s a classic car or your every day vehicle, the Leader Car Cover will do the trick perfectly.
When it comes to covering your vehicle and keeping the damaging elements off of the exterior, these top rated car covers are all excellent. Each one is water resistant, sun proof and can protect your vehicle’s paint job from damaging UV rays too.
Some might think that messing with a car cover is a hassle, but when you pull that cover off and see a gorgeous paint job, free from damage and fading, it is definitely worth the few minutes it takes to put the cover on and remove it when you’re ready to drive.
If your car is not driven a lot, it is even more important to have it protected from things that can damage the paint. Finding the right size for your car is easy and each of the top rated car covers above have several choices for you to choose from when it comes to size.
|97 – 229||177 – 183||142 – 170||191 – 210||157 – 200||191 – 210||157 – 228||97 – 204||157 – 210||170 – 200|
What is a Car Cover?
Buying a car is an investment, especially if it is a classic car or a high dollar model. If you want to keep your vehicle’s exterior safe and free from scratches, dust and other debris, a car cover is a great way to accomplish that. Car covers work the same way for cars that furniture covers work to protect antique and expensive furniture from dust and harm.
A good quality car cover will protect your vehicle from these potentially harmful damages, which depending on the type of damage can amount to a savings of thousands of dollars. Not all car covers are made the same way. Depending on the manufacturer, material it is made of, and the durability of the seams, you will find some car covers to be much better at protecting and holding up under use in the elements than others.
Ideally you want to find a car cover that provides the proper fit and protection from the elements and also allow any moisture that gathers under the cover to evaporate so mold and mildew do not become a problem.
Culprits that Can Be a Danger to Your Vehicle
Car covers are much like a jacket or blanket for your car that does more than just hide it from sight. It can protect against many different things that can regularly have contact with an unprotected vehicle.
- Bird Droppings – Bird droppings are a mix or uric acid that can wreck havoc on the paint job of a vehicle. If it is left on the car and dries it attaches to the metal and melds against it. Trying to remove this dried substance can sometimes cause just as much damage as the droppings are. A car cover prevents any droppings from reaching the paint job.
- Trees – There are several things that trees can do to a car that is parked underneath it. Especially during inclement weather or the summer time. You could have a problem with sap dripping onto the car and drying, nuts that can drop onto the paint job itself, causing scratches or mini dents, birds or cats can use it as a resting place If you’ve ever tried to get sap off a vehicle without damaging the paint, you will already know how important it is to prevent this from happening rather than just dealing with it after the fact.
- Dents – While a soft car cover is not going to be able to prevent a dent from happening if a branch falls directly onto the car, but it can certainly minimize the scratching damage as well as prevent dirt and dust, runaway shopping carts, careless strangers that open their car doors too fast, etc. The car cover does provide a layer of protection between the vehicle’s paint and the offenders that can dent, ding and scratch it.
- Hail – While cars are not damaged by regular rain, they cannot go through hail storms without some potential damage and if that hail is large, damage is almost guaranteed. Hail can be anywhere from small pieces the size of a pea to large ones the size of a baseball. Car covers can’t protect your vehicle against large pieces of hail but the smaller ones, a car cover will be able to deflect and your vehicle won’t have small pock like dents on the roof, hood and trunk areas.
- Dust – Cars that are kept outside will not typically have dust problems unless the area us particularly dusty or on a dirt road. In a garage however, dust can be a problem. When dust is left on a vehicle for an extended period of time, it will start to damage the paint job. One of the first effects noticed is that it will rob the paint of its vibrancy and also can scratch the surface with anything that is mixed into the dust. Car covers definitely prevent dust from getting on and lingering on a vehicle’s exterior.
- Sunlight – Sunlight can be very damaging to a car’s paint job. It contains UV radiation which can cause the paint to dull and fade. It can even damage the bumpers and interior dashboard vibrancy, causing everything to have a dull, bleached look to it. A car cover keeps the sun’s rays from fading out interior and exterior colors.
- Deters Thieves – You may be wondering how a thin piece of fabric can protect your car from car thieves. While it is not failsafe, the one thing it CAN do is encourage the car thieves to look for cars that are easier to get into. A covered car is not going to be a quick steal. If you add a lock to your cover, it makes it even less attractive to potential thieves.
- Snow – Winter weather can be a difficult and wearing time for cars. Heavy snowfalls put pressure on the exterior, salt can wreck havoc with the metal and the paint job and when ice freezes on your car it can cause scratches and other problems as well.
- Cats – Another animal that can be responsible for damage to your vehicle’s exterior is a cat. Cats will literally climb on anything they want to and that includes your car no matter how valuable it is. A car cover may keep them off the car entirely due to the unnatural feel of the material and the fact that it will slide some when they jump on it, but even if it doesn’t, the cover WILL protect the paint job from the cat’ claws.
There are three basic kinds of car covers:
- Waterproof – waterproof car covers do keep the water off your vehicle but they are bad for keeping the moisture underneath them, acting like a sealer and preventing that moisture from being able to evaporate properly. Moisture naturally gathers on the exterior of a vehicle overnight and during the course of the morning warming up, will evaporate away. A waterproof car cover prevents this evaporation, so the water remains on the surface of the vehicle. This can cause serious rust problems to develop which can be very costly to repair. If you want to use a waterproof car cover, cover the vehicle with an indoor, cotton car cover first to act as a moisture barrier. The indoor cover will wick it away and the waterproof cover will keep it the vehicle dry even in serious downpours.
- Water resistant – Water resistant car covers have the breathability that waterproof covers do not offer. You can find water resistant car covers in many different materials. A heavier material will keep more water out and is also better for protecting against scratches and small dings. If you are using your vehicle every day and will be covering and uncovering it, most will find a heavier weight cover much more cumbersome to handle and may prefer the ease of use of a lighter weight water resistant cover.
- Cotton – You will find that most indoor only car covers are made of cotton, polyester or a blend of cotton and another material. They do not protect against water at all and have no real use outdoors unless you are using it underneath a waterproof car cover. The major use for an indoor car cover is to protect the vehicle from dust, dings and small dents that can occur even in a garage.
There are two types of car covers that a vehicle owner can choose from:
Fitted – Fitted car covers are usually make specific such as being designed for Ford designs or Chevy makes. You can even find them more detailed and specific than make and can find model specific covers as well if you choose. Fitted car covers are more expensive than unfitted but most car owners find the extra cost worth it due to the added protection it provides.
Unfitted – unfitted car covers are the lesser expensive of the two styles. The level of protection is not the same as you would get from a fitted car cover. Because it just essentially drapes over the vehicle, air can get underneath the cover and blow around in windy or stormy weather. The cover does have the capability of potentially scratching the surface if it is not properly tired down. Some car enthusiasts even feel that it is better to not use a car cover at all, rather than use an unfitted one.
When it comes to buying the right car cover for your needs, be sure to take into consideration the weather in your area, if you want to cover it for a specific period of time such as traveling or being in a different location for a few months, or whether you are looking for something to use for daily protection. All of these factors will make a difference in the car cover that will work best for you.
Protecting your vehicle can save you tons of money in body repair costs and prevents a huge drop in the value of your car should you want to sell it or trade it in. A car that has been taken care of will bring a higher dollar amount than one that has faded or that has numerous scratches and dings on it.
While it is impossible to prevent any and all dings and scratches if you drive your car on regular roads and park it in a parking lot, you can minimize the damage your car’s exterior is exposed to by using a good quality car cover.
Unprotected paint jobs can cost you thousands in repair costs and diminish your car’s resale value – protect your vehicle and your wallet from damage with a car cover. To learn more about the variety of universal and custom car covers we have on our website, check out our car cover reviews or dial 800-663-1570 to speak with a member of our trained customer service team.