We spent over 40 hours researching and testing over 15 different brands and styles of hooded baby towels and found that absorbency, style, and cost were the most important factors for consumers who were shopping for hooded baby towels. Luvable Friends Animal Face Hooded Baby Towel scored high marks in all categories and is our overall top pick. The size of this hooded baby towel is one of the best features it has because it can grow with your baby into toddlerhood and beyond. This absorbent terry cotton towel is soft to the touch and the hood keeps your baby from getting chilled after his or her bath.
Hooded Baby Towel Comparison
San Francisco Baby
Channing & Yates
|Material||100% Cotton||100% Cotton||80% Cotton / 20% Poly Blend||100% Organic Bamboo||100% Organic Bamboo||Organic Bamboo||100% Organic Bamboo||70% Bamboo / 30% Cotton||92% Organic Bamboo / 8% Microfiber||Organic Bamboo|
|Size (inches)||30 x 36||30 x 30||29 x 29||35 x 35||35 x 35||31 x 31||40 x 28||35 x 35||35 x 35||35 x 35|
|Color||Multi Color||Multi Color||Multi Color||White||Multi Color||White||White||White||White||White / Pink|
|GSM||600||330 – 360||600||500||600||500||500||500||500||500|
|Absorbance Level (ml)||890||527||1,037||1,340||1,765||1,200||1,342||1,173||1,189||1,200|
Hooded Baby Towel Buying Guide
Why should you purchase hooded towels for your baby? If you already have towels at home you may feel like it is a waste of money to purchase special towels but once you see how convenient and great these hooded towels are you will want to get more than one. Even older kids enjoy the style and design of hooded baby towels.
Adult towels and wash cloths can be rough against the skin. You may not notice it, having adult skin but a little baby’s soft, new skin can feel roughness a lot easier and faster and can end up with irritation on their skin.
Other reasons to purchase hooded towels include the size. An adult towel is usually large. It is much easier to wrap your baby in a towel that is designed for them. Most hooded baby towels measure around 30” x 30” give or take a few inches which is the perfect size for a baby or toddler.
Sometimes babies will have accidents when they are wrapped up in a towel after the bath so using special baby towels is much better than getting your good towels stained.
Things to look for when you are shopping for hooded baby towels
There are several things you will want to look for when you start shopping around for hooded baby towels. We have listed these things below so you are prepared once you start sorting through all the choices you have available.
- Free of fragrances and perfumes – Many towels have a perfume fragrance that is applied but these chemicals can cause problems for little ones including rashes, other skin irritations, and even breathing problems if they are sensitive to the fragrances. Look for hooded baby towels that are free of perfumes and fragrances for the safest towels for your baby.
- Made from Premium Materials – Hooded baby towels can be made from cotton, cotton blends, flannel, bamboo, and even nylon. Look for towels that are thicker and more absorbent. Most hooded towels are not going to be as thick as regular adult bath towels but they are plenty absorbent enough to properly dry off your baby.
- Absorbs water easily – For the best absorbency you will want to look for cotton. Cotton is very absorbent and doesn’t have to be super thick to do so. You want to dry your baby off as quickly as possible after they get out of the bath so they do not catch cold.
- Durability – No one wants to have to replace their baby’s towels every few months. Look for fabrics that will hold up to frequent washes without the towels pilling. This can make the fabric rough to the touch which the baby will not like very much. Cotton will usually pill a lot due to the shorter fibers. Tightly knit towels will not pill as much so look for tight weaves.
- Softness – A soft towel will make drying off after bath time an enjoyable experience for the baby. Rough towels can irritate and even scratch your baby’s delicate skin.
- Hypoallergenic – Because babies have more sensitive skin, it is always beneficial to look for hooded towels that are hypoallergenic. Another benefit to hypoallergenic fabrics is the eco-friendly aspect that they have. Protecting the environment is important to many people so this feature is good for your baby and the earth.
- Stain resistance – Babies sometimes use the bathroom once they are out of the tub and wrapped in a warm, comfy towel. Cotton and bamboo towels are typically stain resistant so you can safely wash them and not have lingering stains from accidents.
- Easy to wash – Always look for hooded towels that can be washed in the washing machine and dried in the dryer. Having to hand wash your baby’s towels when they get dirty so easily is very time-consuming. Save yourself extra work and choose towels that do not require any special handling.
- Variety of colors and prints – Hooded towels are available in a variety of colors, styles, animals and other options. You can choose something elegant and simple such as white with minimal trimming or you can go all out and choose animal designs that have hoods that have faces and ears. Many parents match the bathroom décor or their baby’s nursery.
How many do you need?
If you are wondering how many hooded towels you need, you will need to think about a few things first including how often you do laundry and how often you give your baby a bath.
Washcloths should be used once and then washed. So you will need more wash cloths than you need towels. Ideally, try to get 4 hooded towels and 7 wash clothes if you would prefer to do laundry once a week. You can get by with less if you like to do laundry 2 or 3 times per week.
Choosing the best hooded baby towel does not have to be a difficult endeavor. It’s not a serious decision and doesn’t have the same importance that a car seat or crib has but since you use them so often it is still something you should think about when you are setting up the nursery.
If the hooded baby towel you choose is soft to the touch, comfortable, and provides your baby with warmth and comfort, they are going to look forward to the times that they can have it wrapped around them. Some babies love these towels so much they end up carrying them around as they get older.
The three top-rated hooded bath towels we have featured above are all great examples of the kind of hooded baby towels you want for your little one. All three brands are high quality, offer plenty of room to wrap your baby in, are absorbent, durable, and they are available in a variety of wonderful colors and designs that will please baby and parents.
The information you have gotten in the buying guide will help you understand what to look for when you are browsing all the different hooded towels you can choose from. Watch out for chemicals that can cause allergies and opt for the better known brands over no-name styles. This knowledge will enable parents to confidently choose the right hooded towels for their babies and not worry about anything harmful or low quality.