Top 10 Baby Mobiles
Baby Mobile Comparison
Fisher-Price Precious Planet 2-in-1 Projection Mobile
Tiny Love Sweet Island Dreams Mobile
Fisher-Price Rainforest Peek-A-Boo Leaves Musical Mobile
Bananafish Little Dino Crib Mobile
Summer Infant Mobile Team Monkey
Cotton Tale Designs Sumba Decor Kit
Summer Infant Splash Mobile Elephant
Summer Infant Petals Bedding Collection Musical Crib Mobile
Disney Lion King Musical Mobile
Cotton Tale Designs Paradise Musical Mobile
|Plastic||35 % Cotton;
60% Poly Resin;
5 % Polystyrene
|Plastic||Plastic||100% Polyester||35 % Cotton;
60% Poly Resin;
5 % Polystyrene
|Battery||4 D||3 C||4 D||4 D||3 C||4 D||3 C||3 C||4 D||4 D|
Baby Mobile Buying Guide
What is a Baby Mobile?
The answer to this question is easily answered. A baby mobile is a device that is made up of a hanging device that has various baby toys and objects hanging from it that spin and turn when the baby mobile is turned on or wound up. Most baby mobiles have music, nature sounds and lights too making the, excellent additions to your baby’s nursery.
Why use a baby mobile?
In the early stages of life your baby is going to spend much of his time lying on his back. Rather than staring at a boring, flat ceiling, many parents choose to install a baby mobile to give their little baby an interesting and stimulating thing to look at when they are in their cribs.
There are two basic types of baby mobiles available on the market today: ceiling mounted and crib mounted. Crib mounted have become the most popular kind of baby mobile as they are much easier to install and move if you change the room around or move to a different home.
Ceiling mounted – Ceiling mounted baby mobiles used to be the only type available years ago. This type of mobile is attached to the ceiling above the baby’s bed by a hook or screw. They work just fine, but are definitely much more difficult to move around and they require you to put holes in your ceiling.
Crib mounted – This type of baby mobile is very popular nowadays and it is easy to attach to your baby’s crib. It is also very easy to move if necessary. Crib mounted baby mobiles can handle more weight than their ceiling mounted counterparts, so you may notice that the crib mounted varieties have fancier toys and features.
There are two types of movement that a baby mobile can be operated by: wind operated and mechanically operated.
- Wind operated baby mobiles – wind operated baby mobiles rely on the breeze from whatever source, wind, ceiling fan or regular fan, to set the little characters in motion. Wind operated baby mobiles are super lightweight so they only require a light breeze to get moving. The drawback to this type of baby mobile is that most rooms don’t have a constant source of breeze to ensure movement of the mobile. Although fans can make this much easier, in the winter time, fans are not usually used.
- Mechanically operated baby mobiles – This is the most common type of baby mobile on the market. They have a small motor that is battery operated and can be turned on at will. Most mechanical baby mobiles also have remote controls that can control music, lights and movement. The drawback to battery operated mobiles is the cost of the batteries unless you decide to invest in rechargeable ones.
Type of crib that is best for a baby mobile
Not every crib will be a good choice for a crib mobile. Because there are so many different types of crib styles, not all of them will be very conducive to attaching a baby mobile to it. If your baby’s bed is unusual in design you may want to get as much information as you can about the attachment process so you don’t purchase a baby mobile that won’t work on your baby’s bed.
Never use a baby mobile that is not fitting properly on the baby’s crib. It can come loose and fall into the baby’s bed and subsequently on top of the baby. It can also damage the crib to try and force the baby mobile to fit when it doesn’t.
The Theme of Your Nursery
One of the joys of preparing for a new baby includes setting up the nursery. Most parents choose a theme and then get many items that all fit into that theme such as crib bedding, lamps, wall hangings and baby mobiles too.
The good news is that most nursery themes have a baby mobile that will match it either in color or design. It is highly unusual that you would not be able to find a baby mobile that didn’t match what you have chosen for your baby’s room.
Turn on the Music
Many of today’s baby mobiles have the ability to play music. Some mobiles have only one song and others have several song choices and nature sounds too. If you want a variety of song choices be sure to look for a baby mobile that offers many choices for music and sounds.
There are two ways that your baby’s musical mobile will play music:
- Manual wind up – This type of baby mobile involves the physical winding of a knob or handle. When you stop winding it, it will move and play until it completely unwinds and will have to be re-wound before it will start again. There are a couple of drawbacks to wind up baby mobiles. Aside from having to physically wind them up every time you want them to run, they don’t run for very long and they can be over wound if you’re not careful.
- Battery operated – This type of baby mobile runs on batteries and gets going with the push of a button. Depending on the mobile, some offer different choices of music, sounds, lights and speed. Battery operated baby mobiles will play for different lengths of time depending on the particular mobile. Some will last 20-30 minutes at a time and others will last only 10 or 15. You can find this out in the description of the baby mobile. Another thing that battery operated mobiles sometimes have is volume control which is a pretty popular feature among parents. Sometimes the sound can be pretty loud and you don’t want to keep the baby awake or wake them by blasting loud music into their crib regardless of how nice the music is.
Organic Baby Mobiles are Possible
If organic things are important to you, you will be glad to know that you can get organic baby mobiles. They are not easy to find, but if it is important to you, they are possible and will just involve some hard work to locate one.
How does it look to the baby?
Many parents don’t realize that a lot of baby mobile designs are geared to appeal to the parent, who is purchasing them, and not necessarily the baby. Although this may sound funny, from an advertising standpoint it makes perfect sense to the baby mobile company.
For this reason it is important parents try to get an idea of what the mobile looks like from the baby’s point of view. They will be lying on their back and looking up at it from the bottom so you want to pay attention to the way the toys are hanging and facing.
Look for designs that have the little characters “looking” down at the baby. They will get a lot more out of watching it when the little animals are looking at them.
The Location of the Baby Mobile
Although you might think that the crib is the only place to put a baby mobile, there are other places that they can be installed such as the changing table or the play yard. The only things to make sure of is that wherever you put it is sturdy and not in danger of falling over and that the baby can see it.
There are some other features that baby mobiles can have. These additional features will include things like:
- Lights that flash or blink
- Night light
- Removable toys
- Nature sounds or white noise
- Projection capabilities
- Glow in the dark
- Heartbeat sounds
- Remote control
As with any piece of baby equipment or item that is used around your baby, you want to be sure that you adhere to safety practices to keep your baby safe from harm. We have outlined some handy safety information that you should be aware of regarding baby mobiles.
- How low does it hang? – You want the mobile to be low enough for the baby to be able to focus on the toys, you don’t want it so low that they can grab the toys and pull it down on them or get tangled in the strings or cords that hold the toys in place.
- Pay attention to age development – You need to be very aware of the development of your baby when it comes to the safety of your baby. If they are getting up on their hands and knees you will want to make sure the mobile is not close enough for them to grab or even bump into with their heads. If the mobile is within reach you need to take it out of the crib so it does not pose a strangulation risk.
- Keep the mobile clean – You may not think about cleaning the baby mobile but since it is directly over your baby’s bed and it also spins and moves, you don’t want it spreading and moving dust around right over your little one’s head. Remove it from the crib and give it a good cleaning once a week.
- Is it installed properly? – Once you have the mobile attached, pull on it lightly to make sure it is secure and does not slide, move or fall down completely. You don’t want it to feel loose at all so make sure that it is installed correctly.
Baby mobiles provide your baby with many forms of entertainment that work several different developmental aspects. With music, lights and motion, your baby will enjoy working on their visual and auditory development without even trying.
The top rated baby mobiles that have been featured here are all excellent choices if you are looking for a baby mobile for your baby. They are all colorful, have adorable themes, have many features that make them even more enjoyable to have and they work to keep your baby entertained.
Even though baby mobiles are not required pieces of equipment, parents find they have so much value that they may feel like they are crucial to the nursery being complete. With the information you have gathered from this guide, you are ready to tackle the vast array of choices and choose one that is perfect for your child’s nursery.