Baby Night Light Comparison
|5 – 50||20||10||0.75 – 2||5||5 – 50||10||40||8||6|
|2200mAh||3 AAA||2000mAh||3 AAA||2000mAh||4 AAA||3 AA||4 AAA||2000mAh||2000mAh|
|Auto Timer||30 mins||20 mins||30 mins||45 mins||30 mins||30 mins||15 / 30 / 45||30 mins||30 mins||30 mins|
|White||White||Ivory||Multi Color||White||Multi Color||Multi Color||White||Blue
Baby Night Light Buying Guide
What is a Baby Night Light?
A night light, just like the name indicates, is a special light that is designed to be kept in a baby or child’s room. It illuminates the room just enough to be able to move around, feed the baby, change a diaper, or any number of other things that you may need to do at night but you don’t want to disturb the child by turning on a bright light.
Benefits of Using a Night Light
There are many benefits of using night lights. We have outlined these benefits that you can take advantage of by utilizing night lights for many rooms in your house.
- Comforting children who are afraid – Night lights are the perfect solution for a child of any age that is afraid of being in the dark. This is a common problem, and night lights are a great way to chase those fears away.
- Provides light for checking on the baby – Parents check on their baby’s routinely at night once they have gone to bed. Rather than bump around in the dark or worse, wake the baby by having to turn on a bright light, a night light enables parents to see where they are walking as well as checking on the baby to make sure they are fine.
- Helps children find a teddy bear or blanket that has fallen off their bed – During sleep, blankets and teddy bears can get pushed off the bed or get moved down to the bottom of the bed. Having a night light in the room helps the child relocate their blanket or stuffed animal so they can get it back where it belongs.
- Changing Diapers in the middle of the night – when a baby is very young, they often have to be changed during the night. Having a night light helps the parents change the diaper while preventing the baby from being woken up completely by a bright light.
- Helps parents go back to sleep – Night lights are not just for children. Having to make midnight or later, trips to the baby’s room can make it difficult for the parent to get back to sleep well. A night light keeps the lighting dim for the parents too and makes it much easier to fall back asleep once they go back to bed. Turning on a light that is bright can wake your brain up and makes it much harder to get back to sleep.
- They are cheaper to run than regular lights – Sometimes parents will leave a hallway or bathroom light on outside the child’s door. This method does provide light but uses a lot more power than a night light would. Night lights typically use very little power at all and provide the same result, being able to see.
Types of Night Lights
There are a large variety of night light selections available on the market for parents to choose from. Having options is always good, but there is such a thing as too many choices. Having too many choices can make deciding on the best one for your baby rather difficult. Below, we’ve listed the different types of night lights so you will know the differences between the different styles. That will make your decision much easier.
- Plug-in – These compact night lights plug directly into the wall outlet. Some have motion sensors that will trigger the light when motion is detected. Others have darkness sensors that will turn the nightlight on as soon as it is dark. Plug in night lights are great for go check on their children in the middle of the night on a regular basis.
- Projection – Projection nightlights are very unique and offer the child a unique way to provide light in the room. This type of nightlight projects light onto the child’s wall or ceiling usually in a type of design. For the image to show up clearly, the projection needs to be at the right distance.
- Plush – This type of nightlight is a favorite with little ones that are afraid of the dark. They are shaped just like regular stuffed animals except they light up when the child squeezes or presses on them. They are operated on batteries and have an auto off that helps to save the batteries.
- Portable – Portable night lights run on batteries and don’t rely on wall outlets or electricity to run. They are excellent choices for power outages. Some of the newer models of portable night lights come with rechargeable batteries that can be recharged with a USB cable that is similar to the way a cell phone charging cable. Portable night lights are great for traveling as well.
Night Light Considerations
When you start looking at the different models of night light to make a decision, take the following things into consideration.
- Power Outlet Location – If you are interested in plug in night light varieties, take a look at where the outlets are located in the baby’s room or wherever you will be using the night light. You want to be sure that the light is not too close or too far away.
- Light Color – Parents may be surprised to know that red and orange hues actually imitate the sunset and help the body think that nighttime, and subsequently, sleep, is approaching.
- Bulb types – LED is a very popular night light bulb choice because they use much less energy, they are not hot to the touch, they last much longer and have a softer light.
- Brightness level – You want the night light to be bright enough to see what you need to see, but not so bright that it wakes the child or prevents you from going back to sleep. There is a simple way to test the brightness of the night light. Close your eyes and see if you can still see the light. If you can see the light even with your eyes closed, it is probably too bright for inside the baby’s room.
Other Night Light Features to Keep in Mind
The following features are not necessarily as common but many models still have one or more of these night lights as well. There other features include:
- Bulb color changing
- Easy to carry handles
- Music boxes
Safety Tips for Your Night Light
There are several safety tips that you should pay attention to when using night lights. We have listed them below for you.
- Keep your baby away from any night light that has small parts. The package can tell you if there are any small parts to worry about with the night light you choose.
- Pay attention to any recalls on night lights. If a night light you have ends up on a recall list, immediately stop using it and contact the manufacturer.
- Getting shocked can be very serious if the shock is severe enough. Keep babies and young children away from night lights. They can unplug them and even spill liquid on them accidentally, causing a short. Never leave your baby out of their crib unattended and make sure the baby can’t reach the night light from their beds.
With all of the great choices on the market, you may have been worried about choosing the right night light for your needs. The information in this review and buyer’s guide has the information that parents need to make the best choice they can for their families.
Having a good quality night light in the right place can make the night much less scary for your child and can make it much easier for you AND your child to fall back asleep once their needs are met.