Top 10 Diaper Pails
|Picture||Diaper Pails||Material||Diaper Capacity|
|Dekor Classic||ABS plastic ||45|
|Munchkin Arm||Plastic ||25|
|Safety 1st||Plastic ||20|
|Dekor Plus||ABS plastic ||60|
|Baby Trend||Plastic ||30|
|Thirsties||100% Polyester ||35|
Diaper Pail Comparison
|Material||Steel||Plastic||ABS plastic||Plastic||Plastic||Plastic||Plastic||ABS plastic||Plastic||100% polyester|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year||Limited |
|No||1 Year||No||30 Days||Limited |
|3 Months||1 Year|
Diaper Pail Buying Guide
What is a Diaper Pail?
When you are outfitting you baby’s nursery, don’t forget to get a good quality, sturdy diaper pail. This is a crucial piece of baby equipment that, when it is the right one, will help keep diaper odors from ma king your house smell bad.
There are dry and wet diaper disposal systems that parents will choose from. A dry system is one where a diaper pail is in the room that rinsed cloth diapers are kept until it’s time to wash them. It you are using disposable diapers; the dry system just involves throwing the diapers into the diaper pail and replacing the liner when the pail is full.
A wet disposal system means that the cloth diapers are soaked in a mixture of white vinegar, baking soda and water until they are washed. Disposable diapers will not involve using a wet disposal system at all. Depending on the diaper pail, it may require a special plastic liner or you can just use a regular trash bag.
Types of Diaper Pails
There are many different types of diaper pails on the market. We’ve listed the different kinds below so you will understand the differences and be able to decide which one is the right one for your baby’s nursery.
- Diaper Pails for Cloth or Disposable Diapers – Some basic diaper pails may be as low as $20 and then there are the higher end models that cost more but have more features as well. These pails will either use plastic garbage bags or special liner bags that go with that specific diaper pail. If the pail is specifically for cloth diapers, it will sometimes have a cloth bag that can also be washed along with the diapers.
- Diaper Pails for Cloth Diapers – If you are using cloth diapers, you will want to choose a diaper pail that is heavy duty and that has a tight fitting, air tight lid that locks. If you want to soak the diapers in a solution until they are washed, make sure the diaper pail is airtight, and has a lock and heavy duty handles that can hold the weight of the pail when moving it to the laundry room.
Diaper Pail Features
You will use a diaper pail day and night for the first couple of years of your child’s life so making sure you have a good one is very important. There are diaper pails that are very basic and some that make life a lot easier. Look for these features when you start shopping around.
- Bags or Liners – Depending on the type of diaper pail you choose, they will either be used with pail specific liners that go with the model you have or they will work with regular tall garbage bags. One of the benefits to the special liners is that they may have odor fighting properties that work to keep odors away. Regular trash bags don’t have that odor fighting ability so the diaper pail could be very smelly. If the diaper pail is for cloth diapers only they will sometimes come with a cloth bag that is designed to be washed in the washer when you wash the diapers.
- Capacity – there are many different pails that advertise different capacities. Despite what the description says, you should expect the pail to hold less than what they claim. As the baby getting bigger, there is less room as well. The numbers that are given are usually based ob newborn diaper size.
- Child Resistant Lid – Plastic liners can be a suffocation hazard to little ones. Also, wet pails that have solution in them can be a drowning hazard to little ones. For these reasons, the diaper pail you get needs to have a solid, locking lid that they can’t get off. Most of the diaper pails on the market that are not the very basic design, have a childproof mechanism of some kind for their safety. Step pedal diaper pails are also harder to get into, but the pedal shouldn’t be the only thing present to keep little ones out of the pail.
- Comfort – Comfortable, strong handles and a design that works with your décor and needs is the best thing to look for.
- Ease of Use – You want to purchase a diaper pail that is easy to use. Pedal diaper pails that are opened by pressing down with your foot are much easier to use when you have your hands full with the baby. There are many different types of diaper pails, some that even separate all the diapers and wrap them individually. These pails are great for really smelly diapers.
- Odor Containment – Air filters, special scented liners and other means of helping to eliminate odors from getting into the room are all desirable features to look for. A room that smells like a diaper pail is not pleasant. Keep the nursery and the house smelling good by utilizing these extra odor fighting properties.
- Hands Free Operation – The diaper pails that are opened by pressing down on a foot pedal. This makes it easy to open the pail and not have to use your hands at all to take the lid off. Some even have motion-sensor units that you just wave an arm over to get them to open.
- Air Tight and Sealed Lids – It is the strong seals of airtight rubber that keep odors from permeating the room. In the case of the Diaper Genie, there are several steps that help to keep in odors.
A diaper pail is not a purchase to take lightly when you will be using it for two years at least and using it every day, multiple times a day at that. It is important that you take the time to sort through the different diaper pails available and make a decision that will be the best one for your baby’s needs.
The information in this buyer’s guide will give you the knowledge about all of the options you have available so you can make the right decision and not waste money on a substandard diaper pail that doesn’t do what you need it to do. Purchasing a quality diaper pail that has all the features you want and need will make your diaper changing activities much easier and certainly much less smelly.
- Ubbi – http://ubbiworld.com/pages/diaper-pail
- Munchkin – http://www.munchkin.com/
- Diaper Dekor – http://www.diaperdekor.com/