Glider Rocker Comparison
Glider Rocker Buying Guide
Things to Consider
When you are shopping for a glider rocker, there are several things that you should take into consideration before you make your purchase. Taking the time now to research the different choices will ensure that you choose a chair that will fit all your needs and the baby’s needs too. This also means you won’t be wasting money on a chair you won’t like. We have provided some useful tips that you can use for picking the perfect glider rocker.
- Start looking early – if you are a soon to be new mother, make sure that you purchase the glider well before the baby comes. You will spend a lot of time in this glider after the baby comes, so making sure that you give yourself plenty of time to find exactly what you’re looking for is important. If you get the chair a few months before the baby comes, it gives you plenty of time to wear in the chair and be completely comfortable in it.
- What are your options? – Glider rockers are usually available in a variety of color choices, fabric choices and finishes. With all of these choices, you can choose a glider rocker that will match the décor of the nursery and the finish and color of the other pieces in the room.
- Research the Brand – Make sure that you know a little bit about the brand of the chair you are interested in. Looking up reviews on the chair is a good idea so you can see how people like the glider once they have purchased it. This can also give you an idea of any potential problems consumers are having with the glider, if any.
Glider Rocker Features to Look For
There are several features a glider rocker can have. When you are looking at different models, keep in mind the different features that can come along with the chair as well. We have listed some of the major and most common features that you will encounter while you are shopping around.
- Comfort is Important – Head support, back support and arm support are all important when it comes to the design of your glider. Make sure that your feet reach the floor without strain and that the seat area is roomy enough for the size of your body.
- Wide Armrests that are Padded – Having comfortable and padded armrests is very important since you will be leaning on these armrests while you hold the baby. If the arm rests and thinly padded or not padded at all, you will find that it is not comfortable at all. If you’re going to use a nursing pillow, make sure there is plenty of room for the pillow to rest on the armrests and that they aren’t too high.
- Strong and Sturdy Frame – The frame of your glider rocker is also very important. You want to sit in a seat that is solid and that doesn’t feel flimsy. Make sure that there are no exposed parts that could pinch a child’s fingers or any gaps that could get an arm or leg trapped.
- Easily Cleaned – Babies spit up and drool and diapers leak all the time. It’s just part of having a new baby. You want to make sure that the upholstery of your glider rocker has scotch guard or some other kind of stain resistance on it so it can be cleaned easily. You don’t want to have a chair that is full of stains so finding one that has the right kind of stain resistant fabric will ensure that you can clean it as needed and keep it looking good as new.
- Locking Mechanism – This feature prevents the glider from rocking so you can stand up with a baby in your arms much easier. The locking mechanism also comes in handy when your child is older and can run the risk of sticking their fingers where they don’t belong.
- Swivel – The swivel feature enables the glider to not only rock forward and backwards but it can turn side to side as well. Many parents find the swivel feature very convenient so if you think you will too; look for models that offer this capability.
- Reclining Back – Some gliders have a reclining back that can allow the parent to lean back just a little while they are sitting in the chair. This is another feature that is a luxury and nit so much a necessity unless you know you will be sleeping in the chair. It is not safe for the baby to sleep in a glider since it is easy to relax your arms in your sleep and allow the baby to fall.
- Matching Ottoman – Most of the glider rockers available on the market come with matching ottomans, but not all of them, so make sure that the models you are looking at have the ottoman included unless this is not something you want.
A glider rocker and matching ottoman is a wonderful thing to have in the nursery or living room when you bring home your new baby. They are so comfortable and soothing to the baby and make feeding time or cuddle time even more special to look forward to.
With all of the fabric and finish choices available, it’s easy to find something that will match your décor and color scheme. When you are researching the different gliders on the market, make sure that you take your needs and preferences into consideration so you choose the chair that will be the perfect addition to your home and the baby’s room.
Don’t look for the cheapest model. You don’t have to spend tons of money on a glider, they are usually very reasonable; but if you only look for the cheapest thing you can find, you will not have that chair for very long and will end up having to replace it.
Take the time to research the brand, look at the construction and read customer reviews so you purchase a glider rocker that will last years and be a piece of furniture that you can have a long time.
- Stork Craft – http://storkcraftdirect.com/