Umbrella Stroller Comparison
UPPAbaby 2015 G-Luxe
Summer Infant 2015 3D Lite
ZOE XL2 DELUXE
Chicco Liteway Plus
|up to 55||up to 55||up to 50||up to 50||up to 90||up to 50||up to 40||up to 40||up to 55||up to 50|
|No of |
|1 Year||1 Year||Limited|
|1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||Limited|
Umbrella Stroller Buying Guide
What is an Umbrella Stroller?
When you’re looking for the best all-around stroller, an umbrella stroller is a nice, convenient, and lightweight option that is perfect for strolling in the outdoors. There are many varieties of umbrella stroller on the market, and most of them are simple to use and quite affordable. This type of stroller may not be good for all your walking needs, but there are definitely some advantages to it.
You should keep in mind that umbrella strollers are not designed for infants, and that’s because most of them do not recline to the point where infants can lie down. When your baby is not ready yet to hold up its own head, then you’ll need to look for something that provides more head and neck support than this model provides. Once your baby is about six to nine months old then an umbrella stroller will become indispensable to you.
What makes an umbrella stroller so great is that it is lightweight and folds up easily. That’s why the stroller is so convenient to store and easy to carry around. Most umbrella strollers weigh little more than 10 pounds and feature a simple cloth seat on a light aluminum frame. Ideal for strolling in the park, attending a theme park, going to the zoo, or any leisurely outdoor experience, the umbrella stroller also fits well into small car trunks. If you have limited closet space, or take public transportation often, then this kind of stroller is a godsend.
Umbrella Stroller Advantages
Let’s check out some other advantages to owning an umbrella stroller:
- Easy to Maneuver: Do you find yourself constantly in tight spaces where you need to maneuver through a number of people? If so, then you’re going to love an umbrella stroller. Perfect for crowded situations, the stroller is great for state fairs, busy streets, and so much more, and will help keep you from running into other people. Even though they aren’t good for jogging, these strollers help you to move fast and make sharp turns with ease.
- Extra Features: Many umbrella strollers come with extra features that make the experience even more enjoyable. Take for instance the overhead cover which provides sun protection for your child. There are also many versions that come with a side pocket or storage basket which helps you to store items when you go out for the day.
- Simplicity: What makes this stroller so loved is that it’s incredibly simple to use and store. However, if you’re quite tall, then do be sure to find an umbrella stroller that has adjustable handles so that you’re comfortable when pushing it, and never need to bend down.
- Harness System: Most umbrella strollers come with a 5 point harness that keeps baby held in tight and adds to your peace of mind during use. It’s absolutely advised that you use this harness, as umbrella strollers are so lightweight that they have a tendency to tip if a heavy item is hung on them.
- Speed: Umbrella strollers allow you to get around quickly because they’re so lightweight. Whenever you need to make that quick trip to the store, or you’re going on vacation, you will find that this stroller will make your life so much easier.
- Inexpensive: This type of stroller is one of the most affordable you can find, so just because the stroller is cheap, don’t let that make you think that it’s not good. You can even opt to purchase an umbrella stroller just to go on vacation as it’s so affordable that this kind of impulse buy can still seem prudent.
Once you understand the pros and cons of owning an umbrella stroller, then you’re well on your way to finding the perfect stroller for you and your family. There are so many styles out there to choose from, and a lot of it comes down to taste and preferences. Consider your child’s age and weight, how much storage space you have, and how much money you’re willing to spend.
How to Seat a Child Properly
It’s incredibly important that you seat your child correctly in the umbrella stroller for the sake of safety and comfort. Once the child gets older they’ll be able to get into the stroller on their own, but you always want to make sure that they’re getting in and out properly.
Important Safety Checks
- Make sure the wheels are locked
- Check that the stroller is completely open
- Make sure the buckles are working properly
Once you check these things, you can then place your child safely into the stroller. Once inside the stroller, make sure that your child is buckled, feet are placed on the footrest, and that the child is securely in place. As your little one grows you’re going to need to adjust the belt to accommodate their new size. The belt should be snug enough so that your child cannot get out of it, but not so tight as to make them feel any kind of discomfort.
It cannot be emphasized enough that when the stroller is resting for long periods the wheels should be locked into place. When the wheels aren’t locked the stroller could potentially roll away, and this can be quite dangerous when your child is inside.
What are Umbrella Strollers?
This kind of stroller gets its name from its design, which is meant to function like an everyday umbrella. It can literally fold down into a convenient place and is easy to carry and store. It will even fit perfectly into a small car trunk. Once you get used to the folding and unfolding of the stroller, you’re going to be amazed at how easy it is to do, even when you have a child in your arms.
Even the best umbrella stroller models are quite affordable, and some are downright cheap. Owning an umbrella stroller is fantastic for traveling, and makes it easier than ever to get through airport security with speed and agility. Owning one is also great for traveling because should anything happen to the stroller, you can rest assured that not too much money was lost. Also, because many airlines have a restriction on the size of stroller that you can bring onto the flight, an umbrella stroller will almost always be compact enough for your journey.
Pros and Cons
The thing about these strollers is that there are pros and cons that you should be aware of before purchasing. The umbrella stroller is not a full-sized, full-feature stroller, and that means that you’re missing some of the features that you would otherwise have with a standard stroller. But what makes the umbrella stroller different from the regular stroller is also what makes it better for different situations.Lets begin by looking at the pros of purchasing an umbrella stroller:
- Size and Weight: This is the main reason why you want one of these strollers. They are incredibly lightweight and fold down so easily that it’s going to make your life much simpler. Perfect for throwing in the trunk and carrying on the go, you’re going to love how much easier this stroller makes your family outings.
- Price: As mentioned before, the price of an umbrella stroller is phenomenally low. It works for pretty much anyone’s budget. That means that you don’t need to worry about damage to your stroller or the need to replace, as they just don’t cost much from the get-go.
- Perfect Solution for Busy Moms: Let’s face it, all moms are busy. It’s an enormous job to be a parent, and women’s lives are more action packed than ever. It cannot be overstressed how much owning an umbrella stroller adds convenience and speed to your life. Ideal for short trips to the store, these strollers are a quick option for carrying your baby from place to place.
All that being said, there are some limitations to owning this kind of stroller that must be taken into consideration. Because the umbrella stroller is so lightweight and foldable, it’s also less sturdy and cannot carry the same amount of weight as more standard strollers do. Due to the small size, children can become uncomfortable more quickly, so be advised of this and make sure that you pay attention to weight limitations of the particular model that you buy.
- Little Back Support: There are some models that come with extra back support, but for the most part umbrella strollers will not provide the same level of support that heavier strollers provide. Because of this, you may want to look into adding extra support, or just make sure that your child does not stay inside the stroller for too long.
- Limited Protection: Because the umbrella stroller is so lightweight it does not provide as much protection from the elements as more robust strollers do. That being said, they are great when you’re going for a walk in the sun, as the canopy provides wonderful sun protection. If there is heavy rain outside, then you may want to consider using a different stroller, unless yours comes with a rain shield that can be attached in such circumstances.
Once you understand the pros and cons to owning and using an umbrella stroller then you’re ready to go out there and find the right one for you and your family. It can take a while to find the perfect one to fit your personal needs and budget, but you’re going to be so glad that you went to all the trouble of doing it.
Umbrella strollers offer so many advantages for families that are constantly on the go, and desire a lightweight and affordable stroller that makes getting around easier than ever before. We all know how bulky and heavy a full size stroller can be, and that’s why umbrella strollers were created. They provide an easy, lightweight option that is simple to fold and unfold, as well as take on the go. They fit perfectly into any small car trunk, closet, and are even great to take while traveling because they fit nicely on a plane.
There are a number of different umbrella strollers to choose from, but finding the right one for you comes down to understanding your preferences and needs. The strollers mentioned above are some of the most highly rated by customers, and they’re a great place to start your search when you’re looking to find the perfect model.
Some things that you should keep in mind before you purchase an umbrella stroller is the size and age of your child. These strollers are not suitable for infants as they do not provide enough support for the head and neck. Also, consider your own height, as this will determine the height of the handles on the stroller. Ask yourself how much storage space you need, as many strollers feature extra pockets and baskets that allow you to bring things on the go throughout the day.
You’re going to be so amazed at the level of convenience an umbrella stroller will add to your life. It’s so much easier to take quick trips to the store, walk around an amusement park, go for a stroll in the sun, or go on vacation. Families love them, and once they own one, they can’t imagine how they ever lived without it. Be sure to not spend more than you need to, as most umbrella strollers are inexpensive, and even the best ones are less expensive than those that cost more and are of less quality.
- UppBaby: http://uppababy.com/g-luxe/overview/
- Maclaren: http://www.maclarenbaby.com/Triumph_2
- SummerInfant: http://www.summerinfant.com/3dlite