In a world full of tempting sweet treats and salty snacks it can be hard to find a healthy snack that is both good to eat and good for you. Munching on fruits and veggies is a great way to curb your appetite in between meals, but it may not satisfy your craving for flavor! All too often you reach for a salty snack such as popcorn or potato chips in between meals, but there is actually a healthier, salty treat that you can try to help beat those unhealthy cravings.
Say goodbye to popcorn and chips and say hello to roasted chickpeas. They are high in fiber and protein and you and the whole family will love these flavorful crunchy snacks. You won’t get bored with the flavor options and they are very easy to make. Just like potato chips, roasted chickpea recipes come in many different flavors like barbeque, salt and vinegar, the possibilities are endless. You can follow one of these roasted chickpea recipes or try coming up with your own flavors:
Curry and Sriracha Roasted Chickpeas
You can kick up the flavor of traditional roasted chickpeas with these curry-and-sriracha roasted chickpeas. This spicy blend of sriracha and curry make for a great snack and you can use the leftovers as soup and salad toppers to add a little spice to every meal. Grab a handful of these crunchy chickpeas to have a quick and spicy snack.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons coconut, olive or sesame oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon sriracha (more to taste)
- 1 heaping teaspoon curry powder
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Rinse your chickpeas and drain any excess liquid. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a medium-sized bowl add your oil and all your other ingredients. Gently stir in your chickpeas until they are well coated.
- Spoon the coated chickpeas onto a rimmed cookie sheet or roasting pan in a single layer.
- Place your pan on the middle rack and allow them to bake for about 40-45 minutes. Make sure to stir the chickpeas around every 15 minutes to ensure they are evenly roasted. Oven temperatures may vary so make sure you keep an eye on your chickpeas during the last 10-15 minutes. You don’t want to burn them!
- Once your chickpeas are done, allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Lemon Curry Roasted Chickpeas
Enjoy the light, refreshing taste of lemon and send your taste buds soaring with these lemon curry roasted chickpeas. You’ll get the salty fix you’re looking for with a hint of lemon. These roasted chickpeas are low in sodium and will make a great morning or afternoon snack.
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Coat your baking pan with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Rinse the chickpeas and drain. Spread the chickpeas on a paper towel to dry. You can also gently pat them dry.
- Grab a medium sized bowl and mix your olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and curry powder. Make sure you mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Toss in the chickpeas and gently stir so that they are evenly coated. Making sure they are well coated will ensure each chickpea is packed with flavor. Once coated, spread your chickpeas in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet.
- Place your pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the pan and gently stir your chickpeas with a spoon or soft spatula. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, until lightly browned and crunchy. For maximum flavor serve warm.
Curry Roasted Chickpeas and Almonds
This richly flavored, protein-packed snack mix, is a great afternoon pick me up and will leave you feeling full in between meals. You’ll love the robust flavors and will be able to have a great tasting healthy snack.
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (unsalted)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse and drain your canned chickpeas. You can also pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl add your chickpeas and almonds. Give a quick stir.
- Drizzle your chickpeas and almonds with the coconut oil. Add in the rest of your ingredients, except the lime zest. Stir the mixture and coat the chickpeas and almonds well.
- Arrange the mixture in a single layer on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in your preheated oven and roast for about 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to stir your chickpeas and almonds about halfway through to ensure even roasting.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the 1/2 teaspoon of lime zest. Enjoy immediately or save them for later in an airtight container.