5 Plants You Didn’t Know Were Poisonous

5 Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous

1. Castor Bean Plant

A pretty, ornamental plant, the castor bean plant’s seeds, known as ricin, are poisonous if consumed. The ricin prevents the synthesis of proteins within cells and results in diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, and even death. Because of its poisonous characteristic, it is important to keep children and pets away from it. Animals in the wild who consumed castor bean plant seeds have been poisoned because they were unaware of its potency. Historically, the seeds of this plant have been used in assassinations. It only takes two to four seeds to cause death in a small child. According to Guinness World Records, this is the most poisonous plant in the world. It is strikingly beautiful but extremely poisonous.

5 Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous

 2. Tobacco Plant

The tobacco plant is one of the most widely grown non-food plant in the world, and yet it is highly poisonous. The entire plant is poisonous, specifically the leaves, which contain two noxious alkaloids: nicotine and anabasine. If ingested, the plant can cause fatality. It may be a shock to hear that the tobacco plant is poisonous because tobacco is consumed by many people around the world, and it is known to be both addictive and psychoactive.

Because of the high rates of death this plant causes, it is known as one of the most poisonous and deadly plants in the world. Workers who harvest the tobacco plant are placed at a high risk of nicotine poisoning, referred to as “Green Tobacco Sickness”. And while most individuals are not tobacco harvesters, there is good chance of experiencing the same illness when being around this plant – such as having it in your garden.

5 Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous

3. Calla Lily

This delicately beautiful lily has large, white flowers that make it a beautiful indoor and outdoor plant. Calla Lily contains crystals of calcium oxalate which are extremely dangerous if consumed. Some of the side effects of the Calla Lily are the burning and swelling of the mouth and throat, as well as skin and eye irritation if the plant comes into contact with your face or other parts of your body. Therefore, it is advised that you do not ingest or rub any part of the plant on your skin and keep pets and children away from it. Animals that eat Calla Lily have been reported to suffer from excessive drooling and oral irritation. That being said, the leaves of this plant are actually edible when cooked, although doing this is highly discouraged.

5 Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous

4. Tulip

A popular Spring time flower, the tulip is a colorful and attractive addition to any flower bed or indoor pot. However, the tulip is also highly poisonous if ingested. Often, people and animals mistake the bulbs for onion bulbs and eat them. As a result, those who ingest tulip bulbs might experience shallow breathing, heart palpitations, nausea, and vomiting. If you chose to plant tulips, take care that children and pets are kept away from them when they are unattended to avoid any chance of poisoning. Overall, the bulbs of the tulip are poisonous but not fatal. And, it is important to remember that every color of tulip is equally poisonous.

5 Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous

5. Oleander

The Oleander is a common patio flower that sunbathes in the summer time. It is characterized by tall shrubs with large white or pink flowers. Every part of the plant, even the nectar, is considered highly poisonous and deadly. Children and animals are specifically susceptible to being poisoned by oleander because it is often found in the wild and on school grounds. This plant is so toxic that even the smoke from burning it and the water that the flower sits in become highly toxic. Campers have fallen ill from using sticks from the plant to roast marshmallows or hot dogs, and so it is important to be aware of the flora you are around when outside. If oleander is ingested, nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, and death can occur.

The earth is full of beautiful, unique plants that we may feel compelled to touch or sample. However, the most attractive plant can also be the deadliest, and so it is important to execute caution when around different herbs, plants, and flowers.

If you are ever in doubt, do some research before bringing a plant into your home. It is important to know which plants are poisonous and which are not so that you can keep yourself, your furry friends, and your children safe.