Top 10 Laser Printers
Yields (blk/color pgs)
|Brother||33||40,000||3,000 / 4,500 |
|HP||19||30,000||2,500 / 1,500 |
|Canon||14||30,000||2,400 / 1,500 |
|Brother HL3170CDW||23||30,000||1,500 / 1,000 |
|HP M277dw||19||30,000||2,500 / 1,500 |
|Brother MFC9330CDW||23||30,000||1,500 / 1,000 |
|Brother HL3140CW||19||30,000||1,500 / 1,000 |
|HP M477fdw||28||50,000||4,000 / 2,300 |
|Brother HL4570CDW||30||60,000||2,500 / 1,500 |
|Brother HLL8350CDW||32||60,000||2,500 / 1,500 |
Color Laser Printer Comparison
|Max Print |
|Memory MB |
|Max Print |
Color Laser Printer Buying Guide
Things to Consider
When it comes to choosing the right color laser printer for your home office or workplace, there are things that you need to consider. We have outlined the most common considerations that need to be made before you purchase a printer.
- Cost of Ownership – What this is referring to is not only the initial cost of the printer but what it costs on a regular basis to keep using it. Toner is the most recurring cost that you will have when you purchase a color laser printer. With color laser printer cartridges, you get far more printing than you do with inkjet printers. You want to find the printer that has a high yield of pages per cartridge.
- Speed – Printing speed is very important when you work in an office with a lot of others who need to use the printer as well. If you have a home office printing speed isn’t as important but you still want to find a color laser printer that prints at a steady rate. If you do a heavy amount of printing, it doesn’t matter whether your printer will be in a workplace or your home, you will want to get a high yield printer.
- Duty Cycle Rating – This refers to the number of pages that the printer can print in the course of a month. This isn’t a solid way to compare printers but it will give you an idea of the capability the printer has.
- Duplexing – Duplexing means that the printer can print on both sides of the paper automatically Some printers are duplex ready and some aren’t so you will need to check with the manufacturer specifically.
- Memory Capacity – Printer memory can and does vary from printer to printer. The more memory the printer has the faster it will go, even with a lot of documents in the queue. It is possible to purchase additional memory to boost capacity but it is more expensive than the standard computer memory.
- Media Support – If you print a variety of media make sure that you get a color laser printer with the ability to handle the different sizes of paper without problem.
Cleaning Your Color Laser Printer
Once you have chosen and purchased your color laser printer, you want to be certain that you take care of it so it continues to work properly. There are several tools that you will need to ensure you get the job done properly.
- Toner vacuum
- Toner cloth
- Cotton swabs
- Soft bristle paint brush
- Latex gloves
- 99% pure isopropyl alcohol
We’ve expanded a bit on the tool list so you properly understand how they are used and how they work to keep the color laser printer clean.
- Toner Vacuum – this vacuum is designed to trap the fine toner particles that regular household vacuums are not capable of filtering. Toner vacuums range in price and are well worth the investment for a company.
- Toner Cloth – When you are cleaning laser printers, a toner cloth is essential. It is a special cloth that attracts and traps the toner particles. Toner cloths are typically yellow in color and are slightly larger than 8 ½ x 11. The cloth is activated by gently stretching the slides. Tone cloths should never be used twice.
- Mask – You don’t want toner particles to enter your throat and lungs while you are cleaning so be sure to wear a protective mask while you are cleaning.
- Cotton Swabs – You can get regular cotton swabs or look for the 6” long varieties that are printer swabs.
- Isopropyl Alcohol (99% pure) – Do NOT use rubbing alcohol. That is not designed for cleaning electronics. Isopropyl alcohol evaporates and doesn’t leave any residue.
- ½”, Soft Bristle Paint Brush – You will be using the paint brush to brush the toner particles out from in between tight crevices. Pull out any loose paint brush bristles before using. Toothbrushes are not recommended.
- Latex Gloves – you want the latex gloves to fight on your hands tightly to maintain dexterity. You can get latex gloves in drugstores.
A few points to remember before getting started: do not use the toner cloth inside the printer because of the sharp points that can tear the cloth. This can cause fibers from the cloth to be left in the printer which can cause problems later.
- Unplug the power cable before starting any work on the printer.
- Put on the mask and gloves for your safety
- Gently remove the toner cartridge or bottle from the printer
- Use the toner cloth to wipe the toner cartridge. Place the cartridge on another activated toner cloth.
- Use the toner vacuum to remove any spilled toner from within the printer’s compartment. Try not to let the nozzle of the vacuum touch the printer’s internal surfaces
- Next take the paintbrush and remove toner from crevices. Use easy, light motions and vacuum as needed.
- If your printer has corona wires exposed do not vacuum them or use the brush on them.
- Breaking a corona wire can break your printer and cause expensive repair bills. Dip a cotton swab in the isopropyl alcohol and run it along the length of the wire including the underside. Don’t apply any pressure to the wire at all.
- Reinsert the toner cartridge, close the printer and reconnect the power cord.
Choosing the right color laser printer can go a long way towards increasing your productivity and efficiency when it comes to getting stuff printed. The right printer can make a big difference in the quality and quantity of your printed documents and other printed material.
When you research the different models of color laser printers, you will need to know what your needs are and also what you need to look for when comparing the different models.
The information in this buyer’s guide along with the reviews of the three top rated color laser printers will arm you with the knowledge you need to sort through all of the choices and make an informed decision on the right printer for your home office or work environment.
- Brother – http://www.brother-usa.com/
- HP – http://store.hp.com/us/en/
- Canon – http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog