Top 10 White Noise Machines
|Machine||Sound Profiles||Richness Controls|
White Noise Machine Comparison
|30, 60, |
|30, 60, 90||30, 60,|
|15, 30, 60||15, 30, |
|30, 60, 90||15, 30, 60||15, 30, 60||30, 60, 90||15, 30, 60|
White Noise Machine Buying Guide
What is a White Noise Machine?
You use a white noise machine to play a series of sounds that help you or your baby to fall asleep by creating soothing, ambient noise. This device is either called a noise machine, white noise machine, or sound conditioner, and it’s a wonderful tool to help you to get a better night’s sleep.
White noise is considered to be pretty much static, kind of like what you get on a TV or radio. You produce this sound electronically, and even though it’s not always pleasant to listen to, it’s great for masking irregular background noises that you would find in a city or noisy place. Many white noise machines can not only create this static sound, but they can also use natural sounds to help to create a soothing environment. There are white noise machines, sound machines, and then those that can do both. Most of the top rated white noise machines will not only provide static sound, but they will also create natural sounds as well, so that you can choose what works best for you.
Why are Sound Machines Effective?
You wouldn’t guess it, but the womb is actually quite noisy. When we need to be soothed, whether an adult or child, the environment of the womb is something that is still calming and relaxing, and that’s why creating ambient sound helps us to fall asleep. As a baby in the womb, one hears the gurgle of the digestive track, or the beating of mom’s heart. When you lay down to sleep, and especially when you lay your baby down to sleep, it’s sometimes actually too quiet, and this can be disturbing. A baby has an immature reflex system and this makes them particularly jumpy, and so they can jolt awake at unusual sounds, and that makes it hard for them to sleep in the dead of night. Sound machines will produce a consistent noise that will drown out any background sounds, and this means that your baby, or you, will get a more restful sleep.
Different Types of White Noise Machines
There are many different kinds of white noise machines to choose from out there, so lets take a look at what’s available to you. Ultimately, what you choose should suit your unique needs, so you want to keep your eyes peeled for devices that create the kind of sounds that you like. Ask yourself if you’re wanting to obscure noise in the background, or if you want to create noise because the silence is deafening.
- Plug-in Sound Machine: This kind of sound machine is powered by an electric outlet, and these used to be the only kinds that were available on the market. Because you plug them in, you don’t have to worry about conserving power, but they’re not quite as portable as other models. They’re convenient and easy to use, and most of the white noise machines that you find will feature this kind of design.
- Portable Sound Machines: Portable white noise machines are great when you are someone who travels a lot, with or without a baby. These are powered by batteries and they help to soothe you and create a comfortable environment, no matter where you are in the world. These newer, portable machines use rechargeable batteries and they can often be charged using a USB cable.
- Stuffed Animal White Noise Machine: This kind of machine is clearly intended for a child, but adults can benefit from them as well. You can let your baby play with it as a toy during the day, and then it helps to keep them asleep at night. These aren’t like the hard plastic variety, so parents love them because they’re safe around their babies. Many of these have a removable cover, so that you can easily wash them without destroying the sound machine.
- Combination Sound Machines: These are the kinds of devices that are both a sound machine and also act as a white noise machine. Most of the top rated white noise machines are going to allow you to perform both of these functions, so that you can choose between creating white noise or playing natural sounds that are soothing and help you to sleep at night. There are also kinds of combination sound machines that add even more features so that you can get the most out of the white noise machine. For instance, some act as a night light, alarm clock, baby monitor, and so much more.
What Features to Look For
There are so many sound machines on the market, and that’s why it can be difficult to choose the best one for you or your child. Here are some of the features that you want to look out for so that you get the best one possible. Be sure to ask yourself key questions when you begin your search.
- How is the White Noise Machine Powered? You’re going to see that sound machines are either powered by a wall socket, USB plug, or batteries. When you use batteries, it means that the sound machine is also going to be portable, but sometimes these batteries are expensive to replace. Another option is to purchase rechargeable batteries and a charger. The upfront cost of this is going to be higher, but in the long run it’s going to save you money.
- Does the White Noise Machine Come with a Remote Control? You’re going to see that many white noise machines come with a remote control, and this allows you to turn the machine on and off without having to get out of bed.
- Does the White Noise Machine Have a Sleep Timer? This is handy because it means that you can pre-set the timer so that it turns off automatically in the night. You’ll find that many battery operated machines come with a timer so that the batteries don’t die out. Sometimes ones that have a timer will not be able to play continuously through the night, though.
- What Sound Does the Machine Make? Many machines are going to give you a variety of sounds and melodies to choose from, and you want to favor one that is going to give you the most options. You can find anything from heartbeat sounds, nursery melodies, animal sounds, ambient sounds, and so much more. Pick a machine that you know creates sounds that either you or your baby will find appealing.
- What Does the Machine Look Like? If you’re just using the machine in your bedroom at night, and are storing it during the day, then it’s not going to really matter what the machine looks like. However, if the machine is going to be in your child’s bedroom, then you may want to find something that fits into the decor better. There are a number of designs out there that will look great in either an adult or child’s bedroom, so if it’s going to be a permanent fixture then you definitely want to find something that looks nice.
No matter what kind of white noise machine you choose, you’re going to love the way that it helps to lull you to sleep at night, and it can also create fun, natural sounds that will drown out the sound of traffic or animals.
Owning a white noise machine is a wonderful way to help you to sleep at night, and the top rated models above are the ones that outperform the rest. Everyone has trouble sleeping, and having tools to make it better are always going to help in some measure. People love white noise machines because they’re naturally soothing and make sleeping easier. White noise machines are also great for helping your baby fall asleep at night, as there are certain sounds that naturally remind them of the womb. If you’re having trouble finding the right white noise machine for you then the buyer’s guide is definitely going to help you to find something that will work for you.