B 12 Supplement Comparison
|Count||160||300||60||60||100||2 fl oz||2 fl oz||2 fl oz||90||100|
B 12 Supplement Buying Guide
What is a B 12 Supplement?
B 12 is a vitamin that provides many benefits to the body. If you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, it may be recommended to you by your doctor to take a B 12 supplement. There are other reasons that a B 12 supplement may be a good idea. If you’re not absorbing enough nutrients from your foods, or have other issues that interfere with your body’s ability to manufacture the vitamin efficiently, you may find that a supplement takes care of these problems.
There are several signs that your body may display that can indicate a deficiency in B 12. These signs include:
- Excessive fatigue
- Lack of energy
- Lack of appetite
- Ringing in the ears
- Feeling out of breath
- Yellow Skin
If you find yourself with these symptoms, there is a good chance that you may be suffering from a deficiency in B 12. Getting your doctor to do a test and check is one way you can check this, but many people take a B 12 supplement anyway because they need extra energy and want to feel better.
Many things affect how your body absorbs vitamins and minerals. You want to absorb as much of the nutrient as possible. It can be very overwhelming to see all of the different names, dosage amount and types of B 12 supplements on the market. It may seem difficult to try and decide which type and what dosage to start with.
What to Look for in a Supplement
When it is time to start looking for a good B 12 supplement there are several things that you will want to look for.
- Get a good supplement not fortified food – Many foods will claim that they are fortified with B 12 but the best way to get a good supplemental does is to actually purchase B 12 supplements. Any one of the three top rated B 12 supplement choices we have reviewed would be a perfect way to get the added B 12 you need.
- Look for a Vegan B 12 Supplement – Ideally you want to look for a B 12 supplement that is vegan certified, meaning that vegetarians and vegans can take them. Most of the vegan vitamin brands are also Non-GMO with some being allergen free as well. It is a good way to ensure a pure form of B 12.
- Purchase the Methyl B 12 – There are three different types of B 12 supplements. These are methylcobalamin, cyancobalamin and hydroxycobalamin. The last one, hydroxycobalamin, is rarely cofound on the market. When purchasing a B 12 supplement, you will want to purchase the Methyl B 12 or the methylcobalamin. It has been shown to absorb much better than the other forms of B 12. The cyancobalamin form is synthetic based and can cause a lot of problems when it comes to the absorption of the nutrient. It is important when taking supplements that you make sure they ARE being utilized by the body or they just pass right through doing no good whatsoever.
- Look for sublingual, spray or liquid Forms – The benefit to finding these forms of the B 12 supplement is that the tablets or caplets don’t have to be digested before it is used by the body. Sprays, liquids and sublingual tablets go under the tongue where they can start being absorbed by the body instantly with no waiting. There are many different forms that do not add any kind of food coloring, refined sugars or anything other flavoring agents. Look for the many non-GMO, organic or vegan varieties.
- Choose the Right Dosage – You’re going to see a lot of different dosage varieties on the market when you start looking. They will range anywhere from 500 mcg (micrograms) to 5000 mcg. These ranges are the ones that are safe to sell over the counter. With physician approval some people may need injections or shots of B 12 that are higher but this is usually done through the doctor for those who are suffering from unhealthy and extremely low levels of B 12. You don’t need to start off at a high dose. Start with a basic dosage of maybe 500-1000 mcg and see how you feel after a few weeks. This gives you a chance to see the effects. It also leaves you with some leeway to up the dosage since the commercial dosages can range up to 5000 mcg. Most people take the low dosages once a day; others may take it once a week but up the dose. Do some research and ask your doctor what they recommend in terms of dosage and frequency.
Making sure that you have the proper amount of B 12 in your system is essential to your health overall. Since B 12 affects many different body systems, the benefits are widespread. Below we have outlined some of the major ways that B 12 benefits your body.
- Protects against some types of cancer – Vitamin B 12 helps with certain types of cancer. The help consists of preventing these certain types from occurring and also to help treat them if they are already present. The types of cancers that B 12 has been associated with helping and preventing are:
- Can protect against Heart Disease – Heart disease of all kinds has been touted as the number one killer of Americans. Because of this reason, it is beneficial to make sure your B 12 levels are where they should be since B 12 has been shown to help protect the heart. It helps the cardiovascular system in general and for those with heart problems already, there has been a deficiency of B 12 discovered. B 12 isn’t the ONLY method of helping, but it definitely adds to the protection.
- Helps in Preventing Alzheimer’s – Another benefit to taking a B 12 supplement is the help it has provided in treating and preventing Alzheimer’s disease. If this is something you are concerned about or that is prevalent in your family history, then try to up your natural stores of B 12. The synthetic version doesn’t do much but getting it naturally can definitely help.
- Boosts Energy Levels – If you find yourself sluggish and tired all the time, a deficiency in B 12 could be a problem. B 12, along with other B vitamins has been known for the ability to increase alertness and feelings of energy. Many energy drinks have B 12 in them for this reason.
- Helps Depression – Vitamin B 12 is one of the many vitamins that have been known to help with depression. Having the proper levels of all the vitamins is a good way to prevent you from becoming depressed due to vitamin deficiencies.
- Metabolizes Proteins – A main benefit of B 12 us that is aides in the proper metabolism of protein. This will affect several systems in your body. It may not be very noticeable at first and tend to takes years to show depletion.
- Brain Health – B 12 has been associated with preventing something known as “brain shrinkage”. This condition can lead to problems like dementia. It can also cause mental tiredness and the feeling of being a little “off”.
- Digestive Health – Taking a good B 12 supplement will assist the digestive system in functioning properly. If you have problems with constipation, you may find that taking a B 12 supplement will get rid of this problem.
- Healthy Skin – B 12 csn help repair skin cells and will aide in keeping your skin looking its best. Conditions like acne, redness, blemishes and dryness can all be reduced with the addition of B 12.
- Healthy Hair – You may see B 12 in many different hair products because it adds shine and health to hair. Taking a B 12 supplement can provide even more nutrition to your hair and help it look beautiful, shiny and healthy.
- Gorgeous nails – You may notice that your nails improve when you start taking a B 12 supplement. If you haven’t had a deficiency you may not notice a drastic difference but for those with a deficiency, the addition of B 12 can make a real difference in growth and nail health.
- Cholesterol Help – B 12 may help lower your cholesterol levels enough that you won’t necessarily have to have medicine. If they find your cholesterol levels higher, they may recommend taking B 12 as a means of bringing it down naturally.
- Helps Prevent Strokes – B 12 can help prevent the occurrence of strokes by helping to clear the arteries of excess cholesterol. If your family has a history of strokes, this is the vitamin to take.
B 12 supplements are safe, easy to find and affordable. They are a great addition to your regular vitamin regime and have a lot of benefits that are impossible to overlook. Whether the doctor has told you that you have low levels of B 12, or you have many of the symptoms that can show up when a B 12 deficiency is present, taking this vitamin can only do good things for your body and body systems.
You have choice of how to take your vitamin B 12 supplement including sublingual, tablets, liquid and powders. Choose the one that you will have the easiest time taking and keeping up with. All three of the top rated B 12 supplements we have reviewed here are high quality B 12 supplements. Any one of them would be a great choice to add this important supplement to your diet.
If you have any questions be sure to do your research and ask your doctor for specifics if you aren’t sure what dosage you want to start with. Adding B 12 to your diet will definitely reap rewards in your health that you will be grateful for as you get older. Combine it with other vitamins, eat healthy foods and exercise and you will feel terrific and look great too.