I’m sure you’ll agree that a dandruff shampoo must do a good job of healing, hydrating, and repairing hair damage. It should also work to take care of any itching or flaking immediately. That was our top criteria for selecting the best dandruff shampoo. If you want to stop scratching immediately, Art Naturals Coal Tar Dandruff Shampoo is a combination of all these features and was selected the “Best Overall” pick from our editorial team.
Top 10 Dandruff Shampoos
|Shampoo||Contains||Quantity (fl oz)|
|Maple Holistics||Jojoba, Argan, Tea Tree Oil||8.00|
|PURA D’OR||Argan Oil||16.00|
|Krieger Söhne||Tea Tree Oil||16.00|
|Maple Hair||Jojoba, Argan Oil||8.00|
|Jason||Rosemary, Olive, Jojoba||12.00|
|Head & Shoulders||HydraZinc||33.80|
|Person & Covey||Zinc Pyrithione||16.00|
Dandruff Shampoo Comparison
Head & Shoulders
Person & Covey
|Coal Tar||Jojoba, |
Tea Tree Oil
|Coal Tar||Argan Oil||Tea Tree Oil||Ketoconazole||Jojoba, |
|Usage||Aids in the |
|Helps to clear |
Dry Scalp, and
|Controls flaking, |
scaling and itching
|Prevents dry hair |
|Fights dry scalp, |
calms itchy scalp,
and relieves irritation
|Provides effective |
relief of itching
Dandruff Shampoo Buying Guide
Dandruff is a scalp condition that, while annoying, is treatable with the right dandruff shampoo. If you case is mild, a regular generic dandruff conditioner will work fine but if you are dealing with a severe case of it, you will need a specialty dandruff shampoo to get a handle on the problem and get rid of the flakes, itching and redness.
The Causes of Dandruff
There are several things that can cause dandruff to appear. We have listed many of the common causes below.
- Malassezia – This fungus lives on your skin and is harmless but if it is uncontrolled it can lead to excessive acceleration of the skin’s renewal process and cause dandruff flakes to be a problem.
- Eczema – The skin cracks and flakes and there are red patches on the skin or scalp that itch.
- Psoriasis – Another skin condition that is related to an immune system issue. Psoriasis causes red skin that is cracked and painful.
- Weakened Immune System – Other illnesses can cause an overall weakening of the immune system which can then affect the skin production of the body.
- Seborrhoeic Dermatitis – this condition causes an over production of oil which can lead to skin flaking and dandruff
- Emotional stress
- Over washing your hair or under-washing it – You don’t want to overdo the hair washing. There is a line between too much and not enough. If you have a very oily scalp, you can wash your hair every night, but overall you want to be sure that you scalp is clean and washed on a regular basis.
- Puberty – Dandruff can become apparent during puberty and can cause a lot of problems for the teenager. It’s important to treat the condition as soon as it is noticed so it doesn’t get worse and it doesn’t cause any embarrassment. Young children don’t usually have dandruff although they can have cradle cap which is dried, flaky skin on the scalp that will come off when rubbed with oil.
Ingredients that are in Dandruff Shampoo
There are many different ingredients that are usually found in dandruff shampoo. These active ingredients are what treats the dandruff and keeps it away; we have listed these main ingredients below and have listed what they can do for your scalp and hair.
- Zinc Pyrithione – This ingredient will reduce the amount of yeast that is produced in the scalp
- Coal Tar – The anti-fungal benefits of this shampoo is a major help to those suffering from dandruff. You do not want to use coal tar shampoos on color treated or permed hair,
- Selenium Sulphide – This ingredient helps to reduce the amount of natural oils the scalp glands produce.
- Ketoconazole – This is one of the most effective anti-fungal ingredients on the market. You will see a reduction of flaking and shedding, and is the one to go for when nothing else seems to work.
- Salicylic Acid – This ingredient helps to get rid of shedding skin cells so there is little to no flaking.
The majority of dandruff shampoos will have several of these ingredients but most do not have all of them. The specialty, medicated shampoos will ensure that your dandruff problem is managed and/or cured. Below are some tips that you can use to take care of the dandruff.
- Use circular, gentle motions to give your scalp a massage and to exfoliate the dead skin cells of the surface.
- Never scratch the scalp with your fingernails; it can cause the fungus that dandruff comes from.
- Medicated shampoos are extremely drying. You may want to start off using them every other day rather than every day. Use regular shampoo on the alternate days.
- When using a specialty dandruff shampoo, leave it on for several minutes to allow the ingredients of the medicated shampoo to sink into the scalp. Make sure you rinse thoroughly to avoid even more irritation.
- If you are not seeing any results, you will want to seek the help of a dermatologist for additional help. Make sure that you are using the medicated shampoo the way it is intended and stick with the program for 2-4 weeks regularly to see long lasting and exceptional results.
- If you are dealing with flaking, red skin, look for the right product to take care of this problem and eliminate potential causes such as reactions to fragrances, and other ingredients like citrus, mint, etc. If these ingredients irritate your scalp they will cause itching which in turn can cause flaking.
Dandruff is a common problem that thousands of people live with day on and day out. You don’t have to suffer needlessly. You can get any number of treatment shampoos for dandruff and take care of this problem so you are not embarrassed over flakes on your clothes. There are many different types of dandruff shampoos on the market, many for different levels of dandruff.
The information in this buyer’s guide is designed to help you understand the ingredients that are in medicated dandruff shampoos and also provides some information on what to look for and how to use them. The right dandruff shampoo can bring you relief and a reduction and/ or elimination of the flaking, redness and itching that dandruff causes.
- Art Naturals – https://www.artnaturals.com/
- Maple Holistics – https://www.mapleholistics.com
- Neutrogena – http://www.neutrogena.com/home.do