We spent 45 hours researching and testing over 12 different kinds of depilatory creams and found that results, ease of use, and little to no side effects were the most important factors with consumers that are shopping for depilatory creams. Al’iver Hair Remover Cream scored high marks in all categories and is our overall top pick. Al’iver is made from a formula that contains all-natural ingredients like Aloe Vera and vitamin E. These ingredients along with baby oil and others leave your skin feel soft and moisturized after using it. This depilatory cream works in as little as five minutes without leaving bumps or nicks on the skin the way shaving can.
Depilatory Cream Comparison
Water Ice Levin
|Quantity (fl oz)||1.69||13.5||1.00||2.02||4.20||2.00||1.00||3.52||2.70||1.40|
|Contains||Vitamin E||Aloe Vera||Aloe Vera||Chamomile||Aloe Vera||Rosemary||Cucumber||Aloe Vera||Gentian||Buddleja|
|6 – 8||3 – 5||5 – 8||6 – 8||5 – 8||3 – 5||5 – 8||6 – 8||5 – 8||3 – 5|
Hair Removal Cream Buying Guide
Depilatory hair creams are designed to disintegrate unwanted hair so it can just be wiped away easily rather than having to bother with a razor and shaving cream.
Traditional shaving can cause cuts, bumps, and nicks so using a quality depilatory cream is the best and easiest way to rid yourself of unwanted hair and not have to worry about these problems. Even if you have sensitive skin or coarse hair there is a cream that is right for you.
Anyone can use a depilatory cream providing they are aware of and follow the directions carefully. If a teenager is using a hair removal cream there should be an adult present the first couple of times it is used to ensure that they know how to use it properly.
Depilatory hair removal creams are not permanent hair removal but it does tend to last longer than shaving. Most people who use them can wait as much as 5-6 days between times and doesn’t take long at all especially once your body adjusts to using it.
Pros and Cons of Using Depilatory Creams
There are several pros and cons that you will find when using a depilatory cream. Ensuring that you use the best quality cream you can buy prevents a lot of problems that can arise from using a product that is not made well. We have listed these pros and cons below.
- No pain – Shaving can be a real pain, literally, when you factor in razor burn, ingrown hairs, cuts, and nicks that are commonplace when using razors. Waxing is downright painful ALL the time whether you are using quality waxing materials or not. A quality-made depilatory cream is pain-free once you have checked to ensure your skin will not react to it. (some people have skin allergies that have nothing to do with bad ingredients but are just something their particular skin reacts to).
- No special skills required – Hair removal creams are extremely easy to use so you do not have to learn any special techniques or worry about cutting yourself with a sharp razor. Even if you have never used a depilatory cream before, once you’ve read the directions you should have no problems using the cream as long as you follow the procedures laid out. Some creams are better than others so it is very important to make sure you choose the best depilatory cream you can find.
- Affordable – Depilatory hair removal creams are not expensive at all. Most products will range from $6 to $15 dollars. No special equipment is needed and one bottle will typically last you at least a week if not longer depending on how often you use it.
- Easy to get – You can order depilatory creams online very easily. They are also available in drug stores, grocery stores and even health stores but ordering online affords you some really great deals in most cases.
- Works Fast – One of the most popular aspects of using depilatory creams is how fast they work. Shaving can take a while and even when you’re careful it’s easy to miss some stray hairs. Hair removal creams remove your unwanted hair quickly and easily, usually in 3 to 5 minutes. The most you should leave this cream on your skin, even for coarse hair is ten minutes.
- Odor – One of the least favorite things about depilatory creams is the odor they have. Most of these creams do not have a good odor and should not be used in closed in spaces. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation before getting started. This will also help reduce the amount of odor and the length of time it sticks around.
- Can be messy – Although depilatory creams are not hard to use they can be a little messy with cream getting all over your hands. If you do it while sitting in the bathroom or shower the mess won’t really be an issue.
- Potential for skin damage – There are chemicals used in depilatory creams which is what is responsible for dissolving the hair. Because there are these chemicals, it is important that you use the creams according to the instructions. One of the most common mistakes is leaving the cream on too long. Most creams call for 3 to 5 minutes initially with a possible 2-3 minutes more if the first segment of time isn’t long enough. Do NOT leave these creams on your body longer than 10 minutes even if the hair is not all removed. Leaving it on longer can cause painful skin burns that take a while to heal. It is to your benefit and safety to do a patch test first before slathering it on all over.
A few Words of Caution
Many people will rush into using depilatory creams without doing the safety test and could end up regretting it if their skin reacts poorly to the chemicals in the creams. Take the few minutes it will take to ensure completely safety. Once you have properly tested your skin with the cream you’re good to go providing you follow the instructions and do not leave it on too long.
If you do notice that your skin has reacted to the creams it could be because you have exceptionally sensitive skin, you are allergic to the ingredients, or you left it on too long. As long as you test it first and follow the directions you should have no trouble at all.
There are many different ways to remove unwanted hair from your body. Common methods include shaving, waxing, plucking, tweezing, and hair removal or depilatory creams. Hair removal creams are becoming increasingly popular due to the fact that they are easy to use, work fast, and rarely cause any problems unless you end up being allergic to the cream or it is left on too long.
With all of the different hair removal creams on the market, you want to have the information you need to understand the differences and determine what your needs are. This buying guide and the three reviews of the top-rated depilatories available are designed to help guide you through the process effortlessly.
Even if you don’t want one of the top-rated choices, the buying guide has provided plenty of tips and information on what to look for and how to choose the right, high-quality depilatory cream for your needs.