Facial Toner Comparison
Facial Toner Buying Guide
Taking care of your skin is something that you want to start as early as possible in life. Paying attention to the products you use and taking the time to properly care for the skin will result in beautiful, young-looking skin that barely looks its age.
Facial toner is one of the many steps involved in creating beautiful skin. A good quality facial toner shrinks the appearance of your pores which, in turn, makes the skin look younger. Facial toners will also remove oil buildup, making it a great product for those who suffer from oily skin.
Another important benefit to using facial toner is the pH balance it provides. PH balanced skin is healthy skin. Using a toner to achieve this balance will also help your makeup last longer and look better. You won’t have to worry about irritating skin issues anymore.
What is Your Skin Type?
The first step in choosing the right facial toner is determining your skin type. Each person has a specific skin type that will either be dry, oily, combination, or sensitive. Knowing your skin type before you begin shopping will enable you to eliminate the products that aren’t appropriate for your type. We provided some tips below that will help you determine your skin type.
- Dry Skin – Dry skin typically has very small pores and feels tight, especially after washing your face. Dry skin will also have a tendency toward dullness or a rough-looking complexion. You may experience redness, peeling, dry patches, cracking or itchiness when you have dry skin. In the wintertime, your skin may even become flakey.
- Oily Skin – Oily skin is easy to determine because it looks shiny most of the time. The pores are also enlarged and if you blot your face with a tissue, oil can be seen. A common by-product of oily skin is frequent acne outbreaks due to the excessive oil.
- Combination – Combination skin may sound complicated and sometimes it is when trying to choosing the right products. Combination skin usually has larger pores in the T-zone which include the forehead, chin and nose. The T-zone will also have more oil than the cheeks and sides of the face. There will be less oil and smaller pores in the cheek area and the sides of the face.
- Sensitive – If your skin is very easily irritated you can assume that you may have sensitive skin. Sensitive skin sufferers can react to beauty products, alcohol, spicy foods, perfumes, and any other product that comes in contact with the skin. Redness, burning and itching are common side effects of sensitive skin.
The Right Toner for Your Skin Type
Once you have determined your skin type you can research different facial toners and choose the one that is right for you. We listed a few tips that you can use to match your skin type with the right facial toner.
- Hydrating Toners – Hydrating toners are great for dry skin. Look for toners that have glycolipids, glycolic acid, jojoba oil, rose hips seed oil and other moisturizing and hydrating ingredients. Dry skin sufferers will want to stay away from facial toners that contain petrolatum, ammonium lauryl sulfate, ethanol, alcohol and other drying ingredients. These harsh ingredients can dry your skin even further.
- Refreshing Toners – Oily skin sufferers will want to look for facial toners that are refreshing and gentle on the skin. It is not good to use toners that have alcohol in them when you have oily skin. The alcohol will dry out the skin and cause it to produce more oil. Look for refreshing facial toners that are oil-free and contain ingredients like AHA, sodium hyaluronate, and sodium PCA. Don’t use facial toners that contain alcohol, mineral oil, petrolatum, and other drying agents.
- Two Toners for Combination Skin – People with combination skin should purchase two different toners. One they will use during the summer and one during the winter. Your summer toner should be a refreshing toner that contains oil-free ingredients. The winter toner should be a hydrating toner that contains ingredients that will hydrate your skin such as jojoba oil and rose hips oil.
- Gentle Toners – Sensitive skin sufferers should choose mild toners that do not contain acids or alcohol. Look for facial toners that contain glycerin, white tea extract, and other ingredients that have antioxidants and that have anti-inflammatory properties. People with sensitive skin will also want to avoid facial toners with synthetic fragrances and dyes, alcohol or products with ammonium or sodium lauryl sulfate which will irritate the skin.
Before You Purchase a Facial Toner
There are a few things you want to look at before you purchase a facial toner. Following these tips will ensure you purchase a product you will be able to use with your skin type. You will be happy with the quality and results you achieve.
- Look at the Ingredients – When considering different facial toners, read the ingredient list. Look for the right toner for your skin type and be certain the product doesn’t contain ingredients you should avoid.
- Avoid Tough Astringents – Astringents like alcohol, menthol and even witch hazel can be very rough on any skin type. It is best if you avoid facial toners that contain these ingredients. Harsh astringents strip the skin of its natural oils and can cause irritation, redness and peeling regardless of your skin type.
- Pure and All-Natural is Best – Synthetic fragrances are also responsible for causing skin irritation. These fragrances may be listed on the label as fresheners or clarifiers. Look for all-organic, natural ingredients that are known for their gentle effects.
- Don’t Look for Cheap – Investing in a facial toner is investing in your skin. Look for quality facial toners that are not made cheaply. This doesn’t mean you have to choose the most expensive toner on the market, but overall, the higher quality facial toners will cost more than the lesser quality varieties.
Facial toners are just one part of a good skin care routine but they are a very important part. After you wash your face, a good quality facial toner will remove any remaining dirt, impurities and makeup and prime your skin for the next step in your skin care regimen. Properly cleaned and toned skin will absorb moisturizer better. Better absorption means better results.
The three, top-rated facial toners above, are good examples of quality facial toners that don’t contain harsh ingredients. All three of these toners can be used on any skin type with excellent results. Using any of them will improve the look and health of your skin.
If none of these facial toners appeal to you, use the information this buyer’s guide has provided to sort through the many different facial toner choices on the market.
You will be able to eliminate the products that don’t work for you and make an informed decision on the best facial toner for your skin type and skin goals.
- InstaNaturals – https://instanatural.com/
- OZNaturals – https://www.oznaturals.com/
- Christina Moss Naturals – https://www.christinamossnaturals.com/