Fish Oil Supplement Comparison
Fish Oil Supplement Buying Guide
The Importance of Choosing the Right Fish Oil Supplement
There are many reasons that you should take care when choosing the right fish oil supplement. We’ve listed some of the reasons below so you understand why it is necessary to be careful and thorough.
- All fish oil supplements are not created equal – Not every fish oil product will have 100% purity or have freshness locked into the product. The most notable ones go through the processing steps and are immediately packed up immediately. This method will make sure that the richest, best nutrients are locked into the product and kept fresh.
- Cost doesn’t always equal the best product – don’t fall into the habit of thinking that just because a product is expensive that it is automatically a great product. Make sure you look at nutrients, bio-availability and potency along with cost effectiveness.
- The DHA and EPA levels may vary – From one brand of fish oil to another, there will be different levels of DHA and EPA. These two ingredients are the main ones that you want to look for in a fish oil supplement. If the levels of the two main ingredients are not correct, it is not worth purchasing the supplement.
- Certain Fish Oils Absorb Better than Others – Just taking a fish oil supplement alone is not enough to ensure that you are your healthiest. If the body doesn’t absorb the oil it won’t do any good at all. The different levels of fatty acids and other ingredients will determine how well the supplement will be absorbed. Choose the right supplement based on what your body needs.
Benefits of Taking a Fish Oil Supplement
Taking the right fish oil supplement can do wonders for the health of your body. You will feel the difference in your health after taking these supplements because they are made with the freshest, purest and best nutrients possible. We’ve listed some of the benefits that you can expect to experience when you take the right fish oil supplement for your body and needs.
- Helps prevent blood clots
- Helps relax the smooth muscles which helps in controlling blood pressure and reduces cardiovascular problems
- Prevents fats from sticking to the artery walls due to preventing the oxidation of fats.
- Improves cholesterol levels
- Lubricates the joints
- Improves eyesight
- Enriches the appearance and health of hair and skin
- Helps muscles with flexibility
- Increases anti-inflammatory activity inside the body
- Improves memory
- Helps those with mental disorders like ADD and Bipolar disorder
- Helps brain development of growing babies inside the womb
- Can help people suffering from depression
How to Choose the Right Fish Oil Supplement
Types of Fish Oil Supplements
There are several forms of fish oil supplements on the market to choose from. These include liquids or syrups, tablets and capsules. When you are researching different supplements it is a good idea to decide beforehand what form of fish oil supplement you want to take.
- Liquid/Syrup – fish oil supplements are often sold in liquid or syrup form. It is much easier to consume for kids and adults who don’t like taking pills but there are a few things you need to consider before purchasing a liquid:
- Shelf life of liquid is shorter so watch out for rancid oils. Be certain to follow the storage directions to the T so they stay fresh as long as possible.
- It is harder to consume the correct amount due to differences in spoon sizes, accuracy of pouring, etc. Tablets and capsules have the preset dosages but liquid is subject to how accurate you are with your pours.
- Many people don’t like the taste of fish oil so it can be very difficult to want to take something that tastes bad when you take it.
- Tablets – Tablets are fairly easy to swallow since they are generally small in size. Kids may have a difficult time if they are not accustomed to swallowing pills. Another benefit to tablets is that there is no odd or bad smell like liquid has. One thing to watch for is that additives are not added to stabilize the tablets and cook it down further so the oil is concentrated. Unfortunately, these two steps reduce the effectiveness of the fish oil as well as the nutritional value.
- Capsules/Softgels – Of all the different forms of fish oil supplements on the market, the best and most popular form is the capsule or softgel. They have a long shelf life and the dosage is accurate in every capsule. They are tasteless and odorless as well so swallowing them is very easy. Sometimes they might be flavored but take into consideration whether you want to take a supplement with artificial flavors. If the product doesn’t use artificial flavoring, it could be a good choice.
Other Factors to Consider
There are some other things that you will want to look at when you are considering the different brands and types of fish oil supplements available. Make sure that you read the labels and description of every one you are interested in. You can find out a lot through both of those. You will be looking for the following points to see how they compare and stack up to what you want.
- Purity – Some brands of fish oil supplements come from fish and other sea life that come from pristine waters in the Antarctic or Arctic regions that have not been subjected to contamination by various pollutants. This produces pure specimens in which the supplements are made. The nutrients that come from these sources are also the best you can purchase.
- Freshness – depending on the company the supplements come from, many will start packaging right on the ships they are sourced from. This ensures that the freshness of the product is at its peak. This freshness is enhanced by packaging and bottles that are specially made to ensure freshness.
Balance Makes a Difference
The right balance in fatty acids and vitamins are what makes up the best fish oil supplement you can purchase. We have provides some final pointers to think about in your research. These pointers will make a difference in the supplement you choose and your satisfaction with that product.
- The 7 important things to look at when considering a fish oil supplement include:
- Remember that not all fish oil supplements are created with the same care or concern for freshness and purity. Do you due diligence and look at the different supplements and make sure that they are not oxidized , made with low quality ingredients or they could cause problems.
- It is easier for the body to absorb natural fish oil supplements rather than purified ones.
- Some supplements are made from endangered species of fish. Look for products that have been certified by the Marine Stewardship Council to avoid participating in using endangered species.
- The levels of DHA and EPA can determine the potency of the supplement. The structure of the fats that are present in the fish oil is also a factor. Pay attention to those levels.
Fish oil supplements are very beneficial to improving the health and well being of those who need the extra fatty acids. Fatty acids are not the same thing as bad fat so don’t worry about gaining weight or becoming unhealthy by taking a fish oil supplement.
If you have decided that you want to add this valuable supplement to your daily routine, you want to take the time to do the research and find the best supplement you can.
The three top supplements featured above are a great place to start. All three of them are the best of the best and embody the things we have talked about in the buyer’s guide. If none of those choices work for you, take the information you have learned in the guide and apply it to every supplement you are considering.
Using this information will ensure that you can make an informed decision and purchase a fish oil supplement that will be of high quality and that will provide all you need and want in a supplement.