Equinox Barber & Salon Hair Cutting Scissors scored high marks in all categories and is our overall top pick. These premium ergonomic scissors are the perfect scissors for professional salon workers, home use, barbers, and hair cutting students. They measure 6” long and are easy to use. The stainless steel construction and lightweight make these hair cutting scissors a must have for your hair cutting kit. They come with a 30 day money back guarantee too!
Top 10 Hair Cutting Scissors
|Picture||Hair Cutting Scissors||Material||Length (inches)|
|Equinox||Japanese Stainless Steel||6.00|
|Smith Chu||440c Stainless Steel||5.50|
|Utopia Care||Japanese Stainless Steel||6.50|
|ULG||440c Stainless Steel||6.50|
|ShearGuru||Japanese Stainless Steel||6.50|
|Kovira||440c Stainless Steel||6.50|
|Shirleyjj||Japanese Stainless Steel||6.70|
Hair Cutting Scissors Buying Guide
There are several things you want to look at when it comes to choosing a pair of haircutting scissors. We have listed these important considerations below.
- Size – Most manufacturers offer several sizes of haircutting scissors to choose from. Unless you already know exactly what you want you may be wondering whether it is better to purchase a long or short pair. There is no ONE size scissor that is the best for everyone involved. The right size scissor for each individual has to do with the size of the person’s hands. You want the scissors to fit into your hand comfortably so if you have larger hands you will want to choose longer scissors. If you choose scissors that are too small for your hands you will notice that your fingers will have limited range of movement. If you choose scissors that are too large your cutting motion will be negatively affected. Most hair cutting instructors will recommend that a new student start with a pair of scissors that are smaller in size, although not too small, and then move to a larger size as they progress and improve their skills.
- Types – There are several different types of haircutting scissors on the market to choose from. We have listed the different types below along with some information about each so you can learn to tell the difference between the types.
1. Straight Scissors – Straight scissors are the standard in the industry and the most common type purchased. Straight scissors can be used for the majority of hair cutting styles. It is best to have at least two pairs of straight scissors in your kit; one large pair around 6” or so, and one small pair in the 3 ½” to 4” range. Small straight scissors are best for cutting the hair around the ears and at the hairline which requires more detail, and large straight scissors are great for cutting thick or wet hair.
2. Thinning Scissor – Thick hair will usually respond best when thinning scissors are used. This will effectively change the texture of the hair and is an essential type of hair for men’s hairstyles. There are two kinds of thinning scissors: the 28th teeth thinning scissors that is perfect for texturizing thick hair and the 40 to 44 teeth thinning scissors that are well-suited for blending, adding texture, and tapering.
- Blades – There are a few different types of haircutting blades available to choose from. Each type is designed to perform certain haircutting tasks. Some people prefer certain blades over another so which one you choose can also be up to personal preference as well.
1. Convex Blade – Convex blades are also sometimes called Japanese blades because that is the country where they originated from. This type of blade is super sharp and has an edge that is like a razor. Convex blades are good for slicing and many other hair cutting techniques. They are a good choice for experienced hairstylists and barbers. They are typically made from stainless steel so they have some weight to them. Convex blades will bring a higher price than other types due to the complicated manufacturing process involved to make them. This type of blade will need to be sharpened professionally but if you do this regularly and take care of them properly one pair of convex blade scissors will last your whole life.
2. Beveled Edge Blade – Haircutting scissors that have beveled edge blades are almost always made from alloys which are very lightweight. A lot of manufacturers use tiny little serrations on one or both blades. The serrated edges prevent the hair from sliding out of the blade. This is very good for those just getting started or who are learning to improve their skills. Beveled Edge blade scissors are great for cutting dry hair and where detail is needed. If you choose a beveled edge blade that has a polished edge you can use them for every kind of haircutting technique there is including slicing.
- Handle – Handles can be different on haircutting scissors as well. They type of handle a pair of scissors has will affect the position you are using while cutting the hair. Below are the most common types of handles.
1. Offset handle – In a pair of scissors with an offset handle one of the handles is longer than the other one. This design allows the stylist to keep the arm and elbow in a lower position while you are cutting the hair. This makes it a lot more comfortable to use than other handle styles.
2. Even Handle – The basic handle design is the even handle style. Both handles on the even scissors are symmetrical and needs a neutral position when cutting hair.
3. Crane Handle – The crane handle style is a lot like the offset handle. The difference between the two is the top handle is super straight so you can use a lower elbow position than the offset style.
Considerations to think about before Purchase
There are several things to keep in mind when you start sorting through the different haircutting scissors on the market. These things will help you when choosing the right pair of hair cutting scissors for your needs and preferences.
- Different scissors for different people – There is not a one-size-fits-all thinking when it comes to the right pair of haircutting scissors. The best thing to do is to choose one pair of scissors that are better for some techniques and choose another pair of scissors for when you are cutting the hair in your hand.
- Company name matters – There are a lot of new haircutting scissors on the market some from reputable, well-known companies and others from not so well known companies. If you want to ensure that you get a quality pair of scissors choose a pair from a company that has a history of quality products and that has been around awhile. Don’t assume that just because the scissors cost a lot they are quality. Read customer comments to see how the scissors are performing, especially if you don’t know a lot about the company.
- What do you do the most? – What type of haircutting do you spend most of your day doing? The haircutting tasks you do on a regular basis can help you determine what your needs are and what type of scissors will be the best for you. Figure out what you spend your day doing in the salon and purchase a few different pairs of haircutting scissors to accommodate those tasks.
- Customer comments – You can learn a lot by reading the comments that other customers who have purchased the scissors are saying about them. These comments can give you the kind of insight that you can’t get from any review or sales page. Read several comments not just the first couple and look for models that have a high star rating as well as lots of customer comments. Look for information in the comments on performance, longevity, weight, durability, and other important things you can benefit by knowing.
- Sharpening – Look for haircutting scissors that can handle being professionally sharpened. Having sharp scissors will make them perform better and last longer. Somewhere in the description you should be able to see if the scissors can be sharpened or not. High quality scissors will be able to handle this maintenance tip.
- Warranties – Look for haircutting scissors that come with guarantees or warranties of some kind. Depending on the company they can ranges from 30 days to 1 year or more. The better the company the stronger warranty they will offer. Make sure that you understand what the warranty covers and what you need to do to keep it active. A warranty is a good way to see that a company stands behind its products and can give you some peace of mind when it comes to craftsmanship and quality.
How to make your haircutting scissors last
If you spend a decent amount of money to purchase haircutting scissors that are high quality you want to make sure that they are going to last. There are some things that you can do to ensure the scissor’s longevity.
- Dip the scissors in disinfectant between uses and then dry them off thoroughly before using or storing.
- When drying off the scissors make sure you use a soft towel that will work like a polishing cloth and keep them looking great.
- Cleaning the scissors after every use is very important to how long the scissors will last. Remove the hair and make sure they have been dried thoroughly to avoid rust spots from forming.
- Make sure you regularly oil the pivot area of your scissors after several uses to keep them operating smoothly.
Quality haircutting scissors will be one of the most important tools you will have as a hairdresser, barber, groomer, or any other profession that requires using haircutting scissors. Taking some time to use all of the information you have learned in this review and guide will help you find the pair or pairs of haircutting scissors that will work the best for you personally while helping improve your haircutting techniques.
The three top-rated haircutting scissors we have featured above are made from stainless steel and have features that even the most experienced hairstylist appreciates. All three of them are made using quality materials and construction methods that make them popular with all kinds of hairstylists.
If you are looking for a fast solution for all your haircutting needs, any one of these three selections will be a great choice. Even if you choose not to go with one of the three top-rated solutions the information you have learned in this guide will help direct you to the right kind of scissors you need that will meet all of your needs.
Having this valuable information will help you avoid choosing the wrong pair of scissors and then having to deal with returns and refunds. If you do your due diligence, follow the tips in this guide, and determine your specific needs before you start shopping you will choose the right pair of haircutting scissors that will provide you with years of great performance and precision in all your hair cutting tasks.