Lip Balms Review
The best lip balm we found is made with safe, all-natural ingredients that are known to protect and heal lips. It also comes in a variety of flavors to appeal to people who like to mix it up a bit. Most importantly, it actually works and makes your lips look and feel better. Our top pick, Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm, is a perfect example of a high-quality lip balm from a brand with a long-standing, reliable reputation.
Introduction to the Lip Balms
It’s easy to get chapped lips during winter due to indoor heat and cold wind. Even in the summer months it’s possible to get chapped lips when out in the sun too long or while engaging in water sports where wind can cause your lips to dry out.
There are hundreds of lip balms on the market to remedy chapped, dry lips. Dry lips can be extremely uncomfortable and unattractive. Not all lip balms are the same so it is important to sort through them and separate those that work well and those that are safer to use than others.
There are a few things you need to take into consideration when shopping for lip balm. Ideally you want to look for balms that have all-natural ingredients and avoid those that contain petrochemicals or other harsh ingredients.
The purpose of lip balm is to relieve the dryness in your lips and to seal in moisture. This will protect the delicate skin of your lips from external factors like wind, UV rays, and much more. One of the most important things to look at before you purchase a lip balm is the ingredients.
This buyer’s guide will teach you the ins and outs of lip balm and how to eliminate the low-quality balms from the high-quality balms that heal, soothe, protect and moisturize.
Lip Balms Summary
Finding the best lip balm to nourish and protect your lips can be a challenge. Some lip balms are too waxy or leave a slimy residue. Others can actually dry your lips out and make the problem worse. For this reason, it is important to read the ingredient list of any lip balms you are considering using.
Ideally you want to look for lip balms that have all-natural ingredients and none of the substandard ingredients such as parabens and petrochemicals. When the dry winter air attacks the delicate skin on your lips you need a good defense to prevent them from becoming chapped, dry, or even worse: cracked and bleeding.
All three lip balm choices we reviewed above are excellent-quality products made with all-natural ingredients. None contain any of the harmful chemicals you want to avoid. They each contain a variety of flavors within the set to appeal to your various likings. All of them provide excellent results in healing the chapped skin on your lips and preventing it from drying out any further.
Lip Balm Comparison
Lip Balm Buying Guide
Good ingredients to Look For
When you are researching lip balms, make sure to look for ingredients such as zinc, beeswax, shea butter, titanium oxide and other all natural ingredients that benefit the sensitive and delicate skin of the lips. Beeswax is one of the best ingredients due to its antibacterial properties which help keep your lips healthy. On the flip side, you want to avoid phenol, alcohols, synthetic fragrances, menthol, and petrochemicals which can harm your lips and make the chapping and dryness worse.
Benefits to Using Lip Balm
There are many reasons to use lip balm. We have listed some of the more common examples here.
- Youthful appearance – Having lips that are soft, moisturized, and healthy will result in helping you to looking years younger. Some lip balms on the market contain anti-aging ingredients including elastin stimulators, antioxidants and collagen that can reverse the signs of aging and prevent future signs of it. Some lip balms also have SPF protection to protect the lips from UV rays which can burn lips and cause unwanted problems such as unattractive pigmentation or even skin cancer.
- No embarrassment from dry, chapped lips – Chapped lips can be very noticeable and cause you to feel embarrassed while out in public. When you have a severe case of chapped lips with peeling, flaking and more, you want nothing more than for it to get better. Although your lips normally produce a natural oil that keeps them moist in the wintertime, it’s easy to remove this protective layer by licking your lips or wiping your mouth too much. Harsh wind can create chapped lips in a matter of hours. With these many, negative encounters towards the sensitive skin of your lips, a good quality lip balm can be a real, life saver.
- Lipstick will look better – Applying lipstick to dry, peeling, cracked lips is usually not the best idea. In order for your lipstick to look great you need to start with a good foundation of soft, moisturized lips. Additionally, most lip balm can be worn under lipstick for added protection.
Types of Lip Balm
There are a few different kinds of lip balm on the market that you can choose from. We’ve provided a list for you below of the most common types of lip balm and some information about each kind.
- Regular Lip Balm – Regular lip balm is made with a variety of oils that will keep your lips soft, moisturized and looking terrific. Normal lip balm has a waxy consistency that seals moisture in and keeps the lips protected from cold temperatures, UV rays, dry air and wind. Common ingredients used to make lip balm include paraffin, beeswax, carnauba wax, petrolatum, lanolin and others. Some types of lip balms contain menthol, dyes, flavors, fragrances, and others to enhance their product. Remember to look for ingredients that are all-natural and try to avoid harmful, harsh ingredients.
- Lip Balm with SPF Protection – Lip balms that contain SPF protection have sunscreen in them. Sunscreen is profoundly important to the health of your lips, regardless of the time of year or season. Lips can become severely burned while out in the snow all day as the reflection of the sun off the snow can be grueling. Be sure to wear lip balm with sunscreen anytime you will be outside. It can be applied under your lipstick for an additional layer of protection.
- Medicated lip balm – Once your lips have become dry, chapped and cracked you may want to consider getting a medicated lip balm. Keep in mind that there are soothing chemicals in this type of lip balm and putting it on raw, inflamed lips may tingle or burn. Some people like medicated lip balm and find the cooling menthol very soothing.
- Tinted Lip Balm – Some women prefer to wear tinted lip balm while engaging in certain activities rather than lipstick. Tinted lip balm is available in many different tints and is a very popular way to get protection AND color, especially if you are engaging in outdoor activities that might induce sweat and perspiration.
What to Look For in a Lip Balm
- Scent and Flavor – Some people love flavored lip balm and others find that it makes them continually lick their lips. If you can enjoy the scent and flavor without the problem of constantly licking the balm off, then you can choose from a large assortment if flavors. There are fruit flavors of all kinds, to pie, soda, and other unique flavors.
- Lip Balms that Multi-Task – Look for lip balms that provide 2 or 3 different solutions such as a moisturizing lip balm that has SPF too. Keep in mind that the more problems the lip balm fixes, the more likely it is to contain chemicals. If this is not a large concern for you, there are plenty of lip balms on the market that can offer multiple benefits.
- Be Fussy About Quality – Lip balm can be purchased nearly anywhere and it can be quite inexpensive. However, don’t only choose a lip balm based on cost. Look for high-quality brands and formulas that you know will work to sooth dry, chapped lips. There are many quality lip balms out there that have sage oil, vitamin E oil, sweet almond oil, and tea tree oil, just to name a few of the high-quality oils routinely used in lip balm. All of these oils will offer healing effects.
No one likes to have dry, cracked lips. Most any lip balm will improve the condition of your lips yet some lip balms are much higher quality and will produce much more luxurious results that make your lips look fantastic and feel good too.
The information in this buyer’s guide will help you choose the perfect lip balm for your needs. Knowing about the different types of lip balm, the best ingredients to choose, and which to avoid, goes a long way toward helping you make an informed decision that will greatly benefit your lips.
- Burt’s Bees – http://www.burtsbees.com/
- Art Naturals https://artnaturals.com/
- Rosebud – http://www.rosebudperfume.com/