We looked at the 20 most popular lipsticks on the market and considered their color selection, formula, special features (24 hour, gloss, long lasting, moisturizing, etc) customer feedback and other considerations. The three lipstick choices reviewed below topped the list in every category. Any one of them would be an excellent addition to your makeup case.
Introduction to the Lipsticks
It is super simple to buy lipstick today with the large number of choices available. Lipstick is used by millions to create numerous different looks from casual, running errand lipstick to super fancy, evening lipstick. It is a fast and simple way to transform your look into many different moods.
Choosing the right lipstick isn’t overly complicated but it does take understanding a few things about the different forms of lipstick and what makes one better than another. There have been many new types of lipsticks created as people’s needs and desires change. The lipstick companies do their best to keep up with these trends so you always have lots of choices.
Knowing every detail of all the lipsticks available isn’t really possible, but you can learn enough to understand the basics of what is out there. Knowing your own needs is paramount to choosing the right lipstick. If you don’t know what you are looking for, you will have a much harder time sorting through the large selection of lipsticks on the market.
Top Rated Lipsticks Summary
There are literally hundreds of lipsticks on the market from pale peach colors to the deepest burgundy wine. They come in many different forms as well. If you are in the market for some new lipstick, you don’t want to just guess at the right ones for your needs, you want to purchase the best quality lipstick you can that truly reflects your personality and enhances your looks.
The three top rated lipsticks featured above are all high quality products that have been made with natural ingredients that will not harm the delicate skin of your lips. There are no parabens, no gluten, and none have been tested on animals. These great lipsticks come in beautiful colors and will be a great addition to your makeup kits.
Read below to learn more about finding the right lipstick for your personal needs and preferences. When you have the right information on what to look for and consider you will be able to make a decision that you will be happy with long term.
Compare: The 10 Best Rated Lipsticks
|1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||4th Place||5th Place||6th Place||7th Place||8th Place||9th Place||10th Place|
Wet ‘n Wild
|Jet Setter, |
|Vitamin E||Shea Butter||Vegan|
Vitamins C, E
|Omega 3, |
Vitamins A, E
Wet ‘n Wild
Lipstick Buying Guide
Types of Lipstick
There are many different types of lipstick on the market. Each one has specific attributes that it offers. Learning the difference between each type and understanding the benefits it brings can make your selections much easier. You’ll be certain to get exactly what you’re looking for.
Cream Lipstick – Cream lipsticks contain a lot of wax that will protect the lips and provide wearers with a longer wear time. The look that cream lipsticks produce is one that has flat color that is color rich.
Satin/Sheer Lipstick – This type of lipstick is made with oil so the lipstick applies easier and much more smoothly. It produces a glossy look that is transparent.
Moisturizing Lipstick – There are moisturizing ingredients added to this type of lipstick including vitamins, glycerin and aloe that add softness and hydration to the lips when it is worn. The look you will achieve with moisturizing lipstick is moist looking and shiny.
Pearl Lipstick – Pearl lipsticks have a shiny, iridescent quality to them that produces a glowing look that is super soft and feminine.
Metallic Lipstick – There is a lot more iridescence and color pigment added to metallic lipsticks. They are great for teens and college students and add a sense of new age style to your look. They produce a color-rich, metallic look.
Long-Wearing Lipstick – this two application style of lipstick contains lip color and lip gloss in two separate ends of the makeup. Apply the lipstick first and allow it to dry and then apply the gloss. You will end up with a glossy look that has a lot of intense color.
Mineral Lipstick – There are a lot of natural ingredients used in mineral lipstick. These are very good for people that have highly sensitive skin and are prone to allergies. These are very natural looking and sheer and very soft. Great for work or casual wear.
Anti-Aging Lipstick – The serums present in this lipstick help to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. It is hydrating and will not settle into creases and line, which can make them look more prominent. You will have a very soft look that will reduce the signs of aging and make your lips look youthful and fresh.
Matte Lipstick – There are no conditioners and emollients in matte lipstick it has a high color pigment that provides intense color without shine or gloss.
Lip Liquid – There is a high level of alcohol in lip liquid that allows the lip liquid to dry much faster and last longer without fading. You will have a beautiful glossy, color rich look that is great for evenings.
As the list above shows, there are endless amounts of choices available when it comes to lipstick types and what they can provide the wearer. When you know these things, you are better able to look at all those choices and know which ones you want for your own makeup kit.
Additional Lip Tools and Lipstick Enhancers
Many wearers will use lipstick along with other products that enhance the look of the lipstick. These additional enhancers can make the lipstick last longer and wear longer too. We’ve listed some of the most common lip enhancers as well as tools that are often used with lipstick.
- Lip Gloss – You can apply gloss all by itself or apply it over any lipstick color for beautiful shine. If you want the color of the lipstick to stay unaffected, use a clear gloss over the lipstick color. The only time to use a colored gloss is if you are not going to wear lipstick at all.
- Lip Liner – Liners are used to define the shape of your lips. It is applied before the lipstick. You want to get a lip liner that is as close to the color of the lipstick you will be wearing as possible. This will prevent an obvious lip line that will look unnatural.
- Lip Conditioner – The skin on your lips can be very fragile and susceptible to sunburn and other harmful conditions. Using a lip conditioner that has almond oil, vitamin E or Shea Butter can help keep your lips soft, smooth and in perfect condition to be a great canvas for your lipstick.
- Lip Primer – The purpose of a lip primer is to get the lips ready for the application of lipstick. It prevents the lipstick from feathering outside the lip line and prevents fading also. They will also keep the lips from drying out.
- Lip Brushes – These handy tools are used to apply lipstick to the lips for a flawless, smooth finish. These brushes are usually tapered to a point for increased precision. They are made with either synthetic or natural bristles. The better lip brushes are either retractable or they have a cap that protects the bristles from getting mashed or dirty.
Choosing the Right Lipstick Color
There are three different tones that lipstick colors are classified as: warm, neutral and cool. The best way to find the right lipstick color is to determine whether you look better in warm tones, cool tones or neutral tones.
What is Your Natural Skin Tone
All you need to determine your natural skin tone is a sheet of white paper and an area that has plenty of light. If you’re testing yourself you will also need a mirror. You will want to test your skin when you are not wearing any makeup at all. Take the sheet of paper, hold it under your chin and look at your reflection in the mirror.
If the reflection you see in the mirror looks blue, purple, red or pink you have a cool undertone to your skin and should choose cool colors. If your reflection looks yellow, golden or being you have a warm undertone to your skin and will look the best in warm colors. Below is a chart that lists which colors look better with which skin tone.
- Warm Skin Tones – If you look better in warm tones, look for lipsticks that are beige, spice, peach, orange, brown/red, warm red, copper, apricot, bronze, mocha, taupe, brown, honey, golden and tawny.
- Cool Skin Tones – Violet, cherry, berry, lilac, cranberry, pink, wine, mauve, plum, pink, rose, lavender, burgundy, grape.
Lipstick has been used as part of a beauty routine for decades. It can make someone feel better about their appearance and take you from casual activities to evening dinner with the simple application of some color. There are tons of different types and styles of lipstick on the market as well as a large selection of colors.
Choosing the right lipstick is not difficult when you understand what choices exist and what skin tone you have. Selecting the right lipstick can be a lot of fun and with all of the choices available you will easily be able to find several that are the perfect color for your skin tone and the perfect type for your needs whether it is to combat dry lips or to find a lipstick that will last for hours without wearing off.
- Lotus Organics – http://www.lotuscosmeticsusa.com/
- Golden Rose – http://www.goldenrose.com.tr/en/homepage
- Aesthetica – http://aesthetica.me/