Makeup Bag Comparison
Bella and Bear
Show & Tell
Makeup Bag Buying Guide
There are a few things you want to think about before you begin shopping for your makeup bag. We have listed these considerations below.
- What is the purpose of the bag? – Are you looking for a bag to use every day or only for travel? Do you need a makeup bag that is big enough to hold all your makeup or is something smaller that just holds a few key items? Knowing what you need before you start shopping will help narrow the choices so you are not looking through a pile of makeup bags that don’t fit your requirements.
It is not unusual for women to have more than one makeup bag. Some will use one for every day use and another for travel. Determining your needs upfront will simplify the decision-making process.
- Keep it Simple – If you want a bag that makes it simple to grab the items you need, don’t opt for a large bag with a slew of pockets. Fumbling through a large bag can get very frustrating when you are looking for just your lipstick or a powder. For most women, a smaller bag with a couple of pockets will be just the right size.
If you have a large amount of makeup you will need a larger bag and having pockets can actually help minimize the confusion when you need something from the bag.
- Keep Makeup Brushes Separate – Some women like to have an extra bag or compartment for makeup brushes and applicators so they are easily found. There are also a few other reasons to keep your brushes and applicators in a separate bag.
Keeping the brushes in a separate bag can lengthen their life span by preventing them from getting dust, dirt, and other contaminates on the bristles. Separating your brushes from your makeup can also help prevent the bristles from getting broken from being tossed into the main compartment and getting crowded by bottles, compacts and other larger items.
Be sure to store your makeup brushes with the handles down so the brushes maintain their shape. You don’t want any weight on the bristles. Satin or cotton are excellent materials for a makeup brush bag. The brush bag can then be kept inside the main makeup bag and will provide plenty of protection.
- The Benefit to Water Resistant Bags – Waterproof linings are very important in a makeup bag. This is because makeup and other toiletries can leak unexpectedly. Choosing makeup bags that are completely waterproof or that have waterproof or water resistant linings can prevent rain and other wet conditions from ruining the bag and its contents. Bags made from PVC, Nylon and artificial leather are generally waterproof or water resistant.
- Stand Alone Makeup Bags – A makeup bag that can stand up on its own is very convenient. Soft makeup bags that fall over can be a burden when you are in a hurry and can allow the contents of the makeup bag to fall out. Flat bottom makeup bags are a good choice since they work well when placed on a dresser, counter, or makeup table.
A sturdy bag that has stiffer sides can be really convenient and easy to use; just place it on the counter and open the top to access all your makeup essentials. These stiffer bags are less likely to fall over and dump its contents which could break fragile powders and bottles.
- Shape/Design – With so many choices on the market, finding makeup bags that have different or unique shapes and designs is not a problem. Function is important but you also want to find a makeup bag that offers you choices that will match your personality as well.
A woman’s makeup bag is a very individual and personal item. Although it is kept in a purse or tote the majority of the time, it is still a pleasure to have a bag that you love.
- Compartments and Zippers – The best makeup bag, in terms of convenience, is a larger bag with one main zipper on top and a few inside zipper pockets. You want to choose a makeup bag that is simple and quick to open and close. This makes grabbing a needed item much more efficient.
Some women love compartments which can help organize their various products. If you love organization, look for a bag that has several different pockets and compartments. This will allow you to organize your bag in a more detailed way so you can find needed items quickly.
Don’t choose a bag with only one or two compartments if pockets are your thing. Choose the bag that will meet your needs and preferences and you will be sure to love your makeup bag for a long time.
It is obvious, from the information presented in this buyer’s guide, that purchasing a makeup bag is not as simple as just grabbing the first thing you see. With all the designs, colors, sizes, and styles available, you can find the makeup bag of your dreams with a little bit of research and time.
The key to choosing the perfect makeup bag is being very clear about your own needs. Determining how much makeup you must carry, what design and color you prefer, how large you want the bag to be, how often you will be using the bag and other factors will all play a part in the makeup bag you choose.
The three, top-rated makeup bags reviewed above are all quality makeup bags from reputable companies. They are very different in design yet each offers a lot of storage space. If none of these styles appeals to you, take the information provided for you in this guide and use it to research the hundreds of styles, sizes, and shapes on the market and see what does appeal to you.
The knowledge you gained here, on the many types of makeup bags and the options they offer, will help you make an informed decision and lead you to smile when loading your new bag with your favorite makeup items.