Top 10 Melatonin Supplements
|Picture||Melatonin Supplements||Contains||Form ||Count |
|Natrol||Vitamin B-6 ||Tablets ||100|
|Source Naturals||Calcium ||Tablets ||200|
|Now||Magnesium ||Capsules ||180|
|Nature Made||Magnesium ||Tablets ||240|
|Amazing||Stearic Acid ||Tablets ||120|
|Vitafusion||Passion Flower ||Gummies ||60|
|Puritan’s Pride||Stearate ||Capsules ||120|
|Just Potent||Stearic Acid ||Tablets ||120|
|Nature’s Bounty||Soybean Oil ||Softgels ||90|
|Schiff||Calcium ||Tablets ||365|
Melatonin Supplement Comparison
Melatonin Supplement Buying Guide
Melatonin is known for treating sleeplessness but there are many other things that it may be effective for as well. These include such problems as cluster headaches, reducing anxiety, reducing irritability and restlessness.
Forms of Melatonin
There are a few different forms that melatonin is available in. These include capsules, tablets, and liquid. These forms may be rapid release or time release depending on your preference. A rapid release formula dissolves quickly to increase how fast your body absorbs the melatonin.
These are very useful when it is super late and you need to fall asleep fast, or if you are away from home and have trouble getting comfortable enough to fall asleep, this formulation can be a real benefit to you.
Time released formulas are designed to not only help you fall asleep, the slow release formulation helps you stay asleep too. Time released melatonin formulas are designed to last over a 4-6 hour period, sometimes longer.
What to Look for When Purchasing Melatonin
There are several things that you want to look for when you are researching different types of melatonin on the market. We have listed these factors below to help guide you during your shopping experience.
- Look for pharmacy grade melatonin. This is the most powerful grade you can get.
- Make sure that the melatonin you are considering isn’t mixed with other ingredients, including vitamins as well. This minimizes problems with medications or any conditions you may have.
- Look for melatonin that is 99% pure or more. The m ore pure the melatonin is the better it quality it is.
- Purchase your melatonin from reputable companies that are known for their quality products.
- Consider the time release varieties rather than the straight release.
Other Considerations to Think About
- The Label is Important – you want to purchase a supplement that has a label that states all the information on it clearly. Because there are no guarantees when it comes to a product, you want to know exactly what you are getting. Reading the label and knowing HOW to read that label is very important to you getting the kind of quality product that you are looking for.
- Determining Value – Value can be determined several ways. You don’t want to purchase a product simply because it is “cheap”. You get what you pay for in the supplement world, so look for the best quality supplement not just the cheapest. Remember that expensive doesn’t always mean high quality either. Look at all the factors before deciding and vet the products on several criteria.
- Pharmacy Grade is Best – You want to purchase a melatonin supplement that is pharmacy grade, not natural, bovine or animal. Pharmacy grade is the best quality and has the most melatonin as well.
- Time Release vs. Regular Release – of the two choices, look for time release varieties since they will also help you stay asleep rather than just helping you fall asleep. Many people can fall asleep with no problem but their quality of sleep is very poor because they keep waking up.
- Pure Ingredients – You want to purchase a melatonin supplement that is as close to 100% pure as possible. Make sure the labels state no fillers, preservatives, or anything else that you don’t want. A good quality melatonin supplement doesn’t need sugars, wheat, soy, dairy and other things that can be routinely found in supplements so look for the ones that have left it out.
What is the Correct Dosage?
Melatonin dosage can be different for every person. You want to find the perfect dosage for you to maximize the benefits that you receive from the supplement and it also helps you avoid any side effects as well. There are no FDA standards when it comes to dosages for melatonin. The reason there is no FDA standards is due to the fact that it is classified as a dietary supplement which the FDA does not regulate.
There’s been plenty of research done to determine what an effective and safe dose of melatonin is. We have listed some guidelines below that you can look at to determine what the best dose for you will be. They have been listed according to several different criteria. Go over the list and see which one works the best for you. Initially it might be trial and error to find what works the best for your needs.
General Dosage guidelines
It is recommended to take your melatonin about an hour and a half before you want to go to bed. You will take anywhere from 1 milligram to 5 milligrams. Determine which to take based on the information provided below.
- Enhancing recovery from workouts – If you are a heavy exerciser, you can take melatonin to help you have faster recovery as well as better quality sleep. For recovery dosages, plan on taking 2 to 5 milligrams.
- Shifting your sleep cycle – If you want to shift your sleep schedule, melatonin can be taken to help you achieve this goal. A good range will be from ½ a milligram to 1 milligram each night.
- Age matters – The higher your age the higher dose of melatonin you should take. This is simply due to the aging body systems that require more of the supplement to achieve the same result.
- Weight matters – If your body weight is higher you will need to take more melatonin to achieve the same goal. Your dose will also be towards the higher end of the range.
The best way to find the right dosage for your needs is to start with a certain amount and then see how you do. If you fall asleep easily and stay asleep at the dose you have started with, you can be confident that it is the right dosage for you. If you do not notice any improvement in your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep, up the dosage some and try again. If you experience any negative side effects like those listed below, reduce the amount of melatonin you are taking and see if there is an improvement.
Melatonin Side Effects
Following the dosage guidelines will reduce the chances of you having any negative side effects but you should be aware of what the side effects can be so you know what to look for. We’ve listed the potential side effects that can be caused from taking melatonin.
- Common Side Effects – These side effects are minor but tend to be the ones reported the most often.
- Sleep pattern changes
- Vivid dreams
- Rare Side Effects – The following side effects are more serious in nature than the previous ones but they are also much rarer for people to have.
- Fast heart rate
Avoiding Side Effects
The best and simplest way to avoid experiencing side effects is to not take too much of the supplement. The idea is not to take as much as you can. You only need to take the amount you need to achieve the goals you have such as falling asleep faster, staying asleep, reduced anxiety, etc. If you are having those results at the dose you are at, there is no need to take more, it will not result in MORE positive results it can actually have the opposite effect.
Melatonin is a great supplement that helps people regain beneficial sleep cycles. It is sometimes misunderstood as to how it works, and they will try to use it as a sleeping pill but this is not what it is for. Melatonin will relax your body and mind and allow you to naturally fall asleep faster. If you choose the time release variety (and you should) it will also help your body and mind stay asleep.
The three top supplements featured above are all excellent products from terrific companies, so you can purchase one of them and not worry about purchasing a low quality product. If you want to take a look around be certain to follow the guidelines we provided in the buyer’s guide on what to look for when choosing a melatonin supplement.
These guidelines will ensure that you choose the melatonin choice that will meet your needs and desired outcome and provide you with a positive experience.
- Natrol – https://www.natrol.com/
- NOW – https://www.nowfoods.com/supplements
- Source Naturals – http://www.sourcenaturals.com/