We looked at the most popular shaving creams on the market according to customer reviews and ratings and compared the ingredients used, ease of use, value for the money, impact on the skin, and customer opinions. The three top rated shaving creams below topped the list in all these categories. All of them are favored by consumers and would make an excellent choice for your own shaving needs.
Introduction to the Men’s Shaving Creams
Choosing the right men’s shaving cream can ensure that your skin doesn’t end up with razor burn, cuts, ingrown hairs and other problems. With so many different types and brands of shaving cream on the market, it can be a challenge to choose the right one.
The purpose of this guide is to help make that decision much easier by providing the information you need to sort through them all. Knowing what to look for and what to consider when researching and shopping can make the whole process much simpler and faster too.
Continue reading to learn about three of the top rated shaving creams on the market as well as the buyer’s guide that will give you the knowledge you need to make an informed decision that will fit all your shaving needs.
Understanding what makes a good quality shaving cream and one that should just be passed over will prevent you from wasting your money and ending up with multiple cans or bottles of shaving cream in your cabinet that you will never use.
Top Ranked Men’s Shaving Creams
Proraso Shaving Cream, Refreshing and Toning
Created in Italy, Proraso Shaving Cream provides an excellent shave for any man no matter what kind of beard he has.
Users will get a thick lather that is creamy and more elastic in nature. It has plenty of natural ingredients that make this rich shaving cream exceptionally good for your skin.
It has been formulated with glycerin that helps the shaving blade slide across the skin effortlessly. This results in fewer incidences of razor burn and rashes.
One of the ingredients responsible for improving the condition of the skin and for making shaving much easier with rashes or razor burn is Eucalyptus Oil.
This important oil purifies the facial hair and the skin on your face. The menthol refreshes and revitalizes as well so shaving becomes a great experience that wakes your skin up and makes it feel great.
This product contains no silicons, no mineral oils, no sodium laurel sulfate, no artificial colors and no parabens either. Proraso has been around since 1948 and is a popular shaving cream in Italy and many other countries as well. Using this product will provide a shave that is free of irritations and rashes.
C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream
Another Italian favorite when it comes to shaving cream is C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream.
Using C.O. Bigelow shaving cream will provide you with a smooth shave that is close, cool and comfortable.
This product is favored by Italian barbers all over Italy for its skin protecting properties. The cooling feature it has gives a soothing experience and an exceptional shave as well.
Eucalyptus oil is one of the many great ingredients that this premium shave cream contains. You won’t have to worry about rashes and irritation when you shave with this thick soft cream.
Other ingredients include coconut oil, menthol, camphor, and other ingredients that all come together to create a shave that you won’t forget.
C.O. Bigelow is made in Italy and works well on all skin types to provide a cooling shave that leaves your skin hydrated, fresh and soothed.
VIKINGS BLADE Luxury Shaving Cream
If you love the traditional style of shaving that involves using a brush and cake of shaving cream, look no further than Vikings blade luxury shaving cream.
It has a pleasing traditional Swedish scent that is infused with Western Red Cedar and top of the line Sandalwood.
This high end shaving cream lathers up easily with a brush to provide users with an exceptional, close shave that they will enjoy.
This luxury shaving cream comes in a tin that can be opened and used with a brush. It is a wet shaving cream and only takes about 30 to 40 seconds to get a great lather going.
Works exceptionally well with a badger brush.
Once the cream is lathered, apply to the face using the brush and then get ready for a close, enjoyable shave that gets rid of irritation and rashes that can be present with the more modern day types of creams. This product makes an excellent gift when paired with a brush and razor.
Men’s Shaving Creams Summary
Shaving is an activity that many men have to do every single day. Using the right shaving cream can reduce the amount of shaving-related issues that are common such as nicks, cuts, razor burn and rashes. Not all shaving creams are equal nor are they all good quality. It is important to take the time to research and find the best shaving cream for your needs and skin type.
The three top rated shaving creams featured above are all top of the line products that are customer favorites. Two of them are from Italy and all three products are luxury creams that provide men with the kind of close, exceptional results they are looking for.
To learn more about choosing the right shaving cream, read the buyer’s guide below. We have provided you with the information that you will need to sort through the large selection of shaving creams that are on the market.
With all these choices, you may get overwhelmed when trying to choose just one. The right information will help you make the choice that is perfect for your needs and that will provide the kind of results you will love.
Compare: The 10 Best Rated Men’s Shaving Creams
|1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place||4th Place||5th Place||6th Place||7th Place||8th Place||9th Place||10th Place|
The Art of Shaving
The Body Shop
|Benefits|| Thick, |
Men’s Shaving Cream Buyers Guide
A Little Bit of History
Shaving soaps have been around for hundreds of years and were used by men to keep their beards trimmed or shaved off. In 1941 a new type of shaving cream entered the scene: the canned shaving cream. The appeal of this new type of shaving cream was the easy access and fast shaving results it provided, all you had to do was press a button and out came the shaving cream, ready to spread on your face and shave off.
The popularity and ease of use that the foams and gels in cans provided, made the shaving creams in soap or cake form less popular with a lot of men and subsequently, much harder to find. They became more of a novelty than something men used every day. Other countries such as Asia and Europe still utilize the shaving soaps and cakes much more than the U.S. They are not hard to find though and can be purchased online as in the examples of the top rated creams we have featured here and men’s grooming shops.
Types of Shaving Cream
Traditional Shaving Cream – Traditional shaving cream comes in soap pr cake foam and requires a wet brush to lather it up and apply it to the face. The brush has short bristles that will create a lot of lather when used properly. This type of shaving cream is packages in mugs and round tins.
Modern Shaving Cream – While these are much more convenient to find and use, they typically don’t have the thickness that traditional shaving cream has and can cause a few shaving related issues to crop up including rashes, irritation, nicks and cuts. Modern shaving creams are most often found in foam or gel form. They don’t require a brush or lathering to be used. The gel shaving cream usually does have to be worked into lather with a little moisture added but this does not require a brush, only the fingertips.
Choosing the Right Shaving Cream
When researching the different shaving creams that are on the market it is important to look for products that contain ingredients that will improve the look and condition of the skin. These all natural ingredients include natural oils like jojoba, coconut and avocado, and essential oils as well. These oils do not feel oily or leave an oily residue on the skin since they evaporate almost on contact with the skin.
Essential oils come from essences of flowers, roots, fruits and plants. You will moist often find oils like Lemon, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Sandalwood, Rose, Lavender, Cedarwood, and Cypress among others. The best products will have some essential oils mixed into the natural base.
Make sure that if you have sensitive skin, you look for shaving cream that contains Aloe Vera. This ingredient is very soothing to the skin and can help prevent rashes and irritation. It is also used for many skin conditions including burns and wounds due to the antiseptic properties it has.
Ingredients You May Want To Avoid
There are some ingredients that are common to many beauty and skin care products that you may want to consider avoiding. These ingredients can cause skin problems and irritations, especially with sensitive skin. We have listed these ingredients below for you to familiarize yourself with.
- FD&C colors, HC colors, and D&C colors (common to the blue and green gel foams). These harsh chemicals have been known to cause allergic reactions in many or at the very least, rashes can develop.
- Man-made perfumes and fragrances which can also cause allergic reactions, irritation, dizziness, allergies and even headaches. They may smell good but they are not necessarily good for you.
- TEA, MEA, DEA and an often used ingredient known as sodium lauryl sulfate are added to many beauty products to generate foaming. They typically strip the skin of everything and have been commonly linked to dry skin and dermatitis.
- Mineral oil. Petrolatum and paraffin are used to substitute natural oils that are much more expensive to use. These petro by-products can clog your pores and affect the natural respiration of the skin.
- Alcohol based ingredients of any kind are drying and can cause burning, swelling, skin breakouts and peeling as well. These are very damaging to the skin, especially sensitive skin.
Natural Scents and Their Benefits
Good quality shaving creams can have natural scents that are created with essential oils and not synthetic fragrances that can cause allergic reactions. We have listed some common natural essential oil scents that can be found in certain shaving creams and have also provided a little bit about what the scents are good for. When choosing the right scent for your shaving cream, you can just go off of personal preference or you can match the scent with what it does for your skin and choose that way.
- Lavender and Rose Oil – If your skin is sensitive, these essential oils are a good fit. If your skin is prone to getting razor burn and soreness from shaving, using shaving cream with these oils in it will help reduce those problems.
- Bergamot, Lime, Lemon Oils – If you always seem to cut or nick yourself shaving, try a shaving cream that has one of these oils in it.
- Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Peppermint Oils – These cleansing oils are very helpful for skin that tends to break out a lot.
Helpful Shaving Tips
- Shave in the morning when your skin is the softest. It makes the razor glide over the skin much easier.
- Use a high quality shaving cream that will soften the hairs and make them straighter. This makes it much easier to apply the shaving cream properly and will condition your skin as well.
- Use a warm, wet towel before you shave. Traditional barbers do this for a reason. It is perfect for softening the hairs and hydrating the skin so you get a closer, smoother shave. If you don’t like using a towel, shave after you take a warm shower in the mornings.
- Consider trying a shaving cream in soap or cake form and a shaving brush. You will be able to get a better shave than with modern shaving cream.
- Don’t use too much pressure when using the razor. This can result in nicks, irritation and cuts. Follow the lines of your face and keep the skin tight that you are shaving.
- Clean your razor and dry it thoroughly after each shave. You should also rinse the blade while you are shaving, using hot water and rinsing every one or two passes with the razor. Drying the blade prevents rush from forming and keeps the blade sharper longer. You should still change your razor every few shaves to always ensure a close shave.
- To get the best, closest shave, shave twice.
- Make sure to rinse your face after shaving to get rid of any shaving cream residue that may still be there. Use an after shave lotion that sill soothe and protect the skin further.
Shaving is something that most men have to do in some form or another almost every day. When you have to do something so often, it is advantageous to you to find the best quality “tools” for the activity including the best shaving cream, razors and aftercare products.
We have provided you with information on what to look for when you are shopping around for shaving cream that fits your skin type and needs the best. With this knowledge you can make an informed decision that will help improve the look and feel of your skin.