We looked at the 12 most popular otc sleep aids for natural ingredients, easy swallowing capsules or pills, frequency and amount of dosage, type of ingredients present in the product, customer opinion and feedback on the effectiveness of the product and other categories as well. The three sleep aids reviewed below topped the list in all the categories we looked at. Any one of them would be an excellent product to take to get help with sleep problems.
Introduction to the OTC Sleep Aids
There are many people that have a hard time sleeping and may try an otc or over the counter sleep aid to help them get rest. Despite the fact that some may worry that sleep aids are not safe, if you find reputable brands and use them only according to the directions, they can be very beneficial to getting a good night’s sleep.
Factors that can affect sleep include odd job schedules, illness, stress, major life changes and just being too keyed up. With all of the different otc sleep aids on the market, it is important to research the different ones and find the one that will be the best for your needs and preferences.
This guide is designed to provide you with the correct information about the different types of sleep aids available and how to choose the right one from all of those choices.
When you learn as much as you can about a product before you purchase it, you will be able to feel confident about your choice and not worry about what you are taking. This guide will help you choose the otc sleep aid that fits your lifestyle and job schedule, your sleep goals and your budget too.
Top 10 OTC Sleep Aid
|3||Nature’s Wellness||60||Lemon Balm|
OTC Sleep Aids Summary
Not getting enough sleep can be very frustrating for the person suffering from it. Sleep deprivation can cause all kinds of problems from physical symptoms to headaches and other problems as well. These three otc sleep aids reviewed above are all excellent, all natural sleep aids that are not harmful and don’t cause the same kind of problems that prescription sleep aids can.
There is a 60 day supply in each bottle and none of the sleep aids reviewed here cause that dreaded groggy, drugged feeling that some of the chemical based ones can. To learn more about otc sleep aids and to choose the right one for your specific sleep needs, read the buyer’s guide below. It is filled with information you will need to sort through all of the choices available and choose the right one for your needs.
Compare: The 10 Best Rated OTC Sleep Aid
|Lemon Balm, |
|Directions||1 – 2|
|1 – 2|
|1 – 2|
|1 Tablet||1 Capsule||2 Tablets||2|
|1 Softgel||2 Gummies|
|Type||Vegan||Vegan||Vegan||Vegan||Not Vegan||Not Vegan||Not Vegan||Vegan||Not Vegan||Not Vegan|
|Supply||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days||192 Days||60 Days||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days||125 Days|
|No||Natural||Lemon Tea||Piperine||No||Natural Berry|
OTC Sleep Aid Buying Guide
Points to consider
There are several points you want to look at when choosing an otc sleep aid. These points will help you make an informed decision as to which one is the best for you. The different points that you should look at are listed below.
- The occasional sleepless night is normal but if you are dealing with insomnia for weeks or months, you need to seek medical care to rule out any other causes that could be more serious.
- When you are sorting through the different otc sleep aids, be sure to consider the medications you may be taking as well as any health issues you are dealing with. It is wise to consult a doctor or pharmacist to make sure that your health issues will not be increased by taking a certain sleep aid.
- You should not use otc sleep aids without medical consent or suggestion if you suffer from anxiety or depression. Some of the otc products could intensify mental health issues and can also interfere with the medications used to manage those health issues.
- Be sure to follow all of the directions that the otc sleep aid requires and make sure that you are not doubling up on any specific active ingredients.
- Alcohol and otc sleep aids should never be mixed. Alcohol will increase the sedative nature of these sleep aids and mixing the two can cause fainting and/or dizziness.
- Don’t get into the habit of taking otc sleep aids every single night. They are most effective and safest when taken once in awhile. They can lose their effectiveness when taken daily for too long of a time period.
- Children should not take otc sleep aids without being seen by a pediatrician first. While melatonin is not a drug or medication, young children should be monitored closely when dealing with any kind of sleep disorder. Since many sleep problems are related to stress or worry, if your child does show signs of having insomnia be sure to dig deeper to find out what is really bothering them.
- If you decide to take an otc sleep aid, make it part of your regular bedtime routine which will help relax the mind and body and get it into the sleep mentality. Remember that taking more of the sleep aid than is recommended will not make you sleep better, it will normally cause the opposite effect so just stick to the bottle directions and dosage and give it a few days to start working.
Reasons People May Need Sleep Aids
We have provided some information about the different levels of insomnia and what some of the typical causes are of this particular problem.
- Transient – this category includes people that have trouble sleeping for about a week or less. It can be caused by stress, changes in the daily routine, depression, illness and a different sleep environment.
- Acute – This category covers those struggling with sleep issues that last longer than a week but less than a month. This is usually brought on by intense levels of stress that do not go away. This usually causes problems for sufferers in staying asleep and falling asleep.
- Chronic – This means that the insomnia sufferers have this longer than a month. There are other side effects that go along with chronic insomnia sufferers. These include fatigue, dazed or dizzy feeling hallucinations and double vision. It is important to get chronic sleep insomnia checked out to prevent any serious health problems from cropping up.
Different Types of Sleep Aids
There are different types of otc sleep aids on the market to fit a variety of peoples’ symptoms. We have listed some information about each of the types so you can understand what each type usually offers so you can decide which one will be the best fit for you.
- Medication – There are several medications that doctors use for insomnia, if you should decide that medication is the route you want to take. These medications can come in the form of Ingredients like Benzodiazepine, Doxylamine, or Diphenhydrmine, which are antihistamines.
- Natural Products – As often as possible, one should take natural products when it comes to most things, but especially an otc sleep aid. The all natural ingredients do not cause dependency, grogginess, sluggishness, loss of focus, extreme tiredness, irritability and many other problems as well. People typically feel much better about taking sleep aids that are all natural rather than taking the medicated ones.
It’s hard to deal with all of the day to day stresses that one can encounter in their lives without adding insomnia to the list. In fact, lack of sleep can make stressful situations feel almost unbearable.
That is why it is so important to deal with insomnia as soon as you notice that it is present. Having a bad night of sleep once in a while is normal. It’s when it starts to happen night after night that something needs to be done.
If you catch it early enough and start taking an otc sleep aid like the ones we have reviewed above, you can possibly head it off at the pass before it becomes a major issue that causes health problems and even more stress.
Our goal is to provide the information that you need to sort through the otc aids and find one that you are comfortable taking and that will provide the results you are looking for. The idea is not to take something that puts you to sleep, it is to take something that relaxes you and eases your mind so you can unwind and fall asleep peacefully. This also allows you to wake up peacefully.
There is no need to worry about all of the different choices. Thanks to the information contained in this guide consumers will know what to avoid, what to look for and even how to take the capsules safely. Sleep aids can be a real blessing for someone who is struggling with insomnia.
Take the knowledge you have gained here and use it when you are researching different sleep aids. You will be able to select the right one for your specific needs and sleep issues.
- Zenwise Labs – https://www.zenwiselabs.com/
- Natures Wellness – https://www.natureswellnessmarket.com/