Top 10 Vitamin E
|Nature Made||100 Softgels||400 IU|
|Solgar||100 Softgels||1,000 IU|
|Nature's Bounty||2.50 fl oz||30,000 IU|
|Health Priority||0.50 fl oz||30,000 IU|
|Caltrate||165 Tablets||800 IU|
|Focus Select||180 Softgels||400 IU|
|Essential-1||180 Capsules||3,000 IU|
|H.F.T. Supplements||90 Capsules||400 IU|
|Life Extension||90 Softgels||400 IU|
|Country Life||90 Softgels||400 IU|
Vitamin E Buying Guide
Vitamin E Benefits
There are many benefits Vitamin E provides the body. It is a very powerful antioxidant that will fight the damage that free radicals cause in your body. Free radicals can cause premature aging as well as illness. Taking a regular vitamin supplement can help prevent this damage and possibly reverse some of the damage that has been already done.
Some of the many benefits that taking Vitamin E offer include:
- Protects men against prostate cancer, especially men who smoke
- Helps prevent Alzheimer’s disease
- Prevents heart disease
- Prevents macular degeneration and cataracts
- Lowers the risk of having a heart attack
- Boosts and strengthens immunity
Natural versus Synthetic
There are two different types of Vitamin E on the market:
- Natural Vitamin E – also known as d-alpha tocopherol
- Synthetic Vitamin E – also known as dl-alpha tocopherol
Most multivitamins have Vitamin E included in the lineup but it is best when taken in its liquid form. When you take a multivitamin pill with Vitamin E included you won’t get all the benefits that it provides when taken in its natural, oil form. It also doesn’t get absorbed properly when it is taken in multivitamin form. There are big differences between synthetic Vitamin E and natural Vitamin E.
- Synthetic Vitamin E – synthetic Vitamin E is not easy for the body to use. The only real benefit to this type of Vitamin E, which is a petroleum by-product, is that it costs less than natural vitamin E. There is no real reason to purchase synthetic Vitamin E because it has no value to the body. To identify the presence of synthetic Vitamin E look for dl-alpha tocopherol listed in the ingredients. The only way you will know which type of Vitamin E you are getting is to read the bottle. It will read d-alpha tocopherol if it is the natural form of Vitamin E. Don’t spend money on the synthetic form because you will not get any benefits from taking it.
- Natural Vitamin E – Contains only d-alpha tocopherols. Remember that if the first two letters are dl, the Vitamin E you are looking at is synthetic. Your body will absorb twice as much natural Vitamin E than the synthetic variety. While both types of Vitamin E are found in the blood and organs, the liver absorbs the natural Vitamin E more.
- Natural Mixed Tocopherols – The best and most effective form of Vitamin E that you want to look for is one that has natural d-alpha tocopherols and other compounds that go by the name of tocotrienols. This blend affords the body an excellent way to get the nutrients Vitamin E provides and ensures the best absorption and benefits that the Vitamin E provides.
Common Uses for Vitamin E
There are several different reasons that people take Vitamin E. It is very efficient at dissolving fats making it a very popular supplement to take when you want to lose weight. Along with dissolving fat, it makes the muscles function better, helps boost energy, increases physical endurance, and encourages muscle repair as well.
Other uses for this important nutrient include improving the heart and cardiovascular system including remedying hardened arteries. It can help lower blood pressure, protect you from having a heart attack, reduce the chances of getting Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, anti-aging, skin disorders, infertility, preventing allergies, cystic fibrosis, impotence and much more. While it is not a miracle cure, combined with eating healthy and proper medication, Vitamin E can help turn these problems around.
What is the Right Dosage?
As it is with most vitamins, it is sometimes difficult to get the RDA of Vitamin E from only your diet. To see a difference in your health, it is recommended to take at least 400 IU per day. This is much easier to get from high-quality supplements rather than trying to get it through the foods you’re eating.
If you are currently on medication for one or more medical issues it is important to make sure that you talk to your doctor so the Vitamin E doesn’t interact negatively with any of the medications you are taking. If you are facing surgery, it is extremely important to stop taking Vitamin E at least three weeks before the surgery.
To ensure you have chosen a high-quality form of Vitamin E, read the labels to see what the ingredients are. Natural Vitamin E is always best so remember to look for D-alpha tocopherols and mixed formulas that have tocotrienols. You want to avoid dl-alpha tocopherols. The whole purpose of taking a supplement is to reap health benefits so make sure that you choose the best quality brand that you can find.
Potential Side effects of Vitamin E
There is such a thing as taking too much Vitamin E. It is unsafe in high doses so you should be careful to stay within the RDA which is 400 IU per day or less. Taking higher doses that are not recommended by your doctor can result in serious side effects. This is especially true for pregnant and nursing mothers who should take much lower doses.
One mistake that people repeatedly make is thinking that simply taking vitamins can correct health problems. But vitamins alone are not a cure all. Even the best supplements need to be paired with a healthy lifestyle. Vitamin E, in addition to healthy food and being active, can help you lose weight, reverse the signs of aging, and feel much more energetic and happy.
Because of the health benefits that a natural Vitamin E supplement can provide, adding it to your daily routine is a good idea when it is done in the right dosages and it is paired with healthy habits. The information in this buyer’s guide is designed to help you choose a natural form of Vitamin E and to sort through and eliminate the synthetic versions that have much less value. You want to make a choice that will have a positive effect on your overall health and well being.
- Nature Made – http://www.naturemade.com/
- Solgar – http://www.solgar.com/
- Natures Bounty – https://www.naturesbounty.com/