Cake Decorating Kit Buying Guide
What is a Cake Decorating Kit?
People see a cake’s appearance before they ever taste it. Of course a beautiful cake can taste terrible, but overall, you want the cakes you decorate to look at wonderful as they taste. With the availability of cake decorating kits on the market, you don’t have to hire a professional to decorate anymore.
A cake decorating kit is everything you need to decorate a cake from beginning to end. All of these things are available individually but a kit makes them much more economical and a lot easier to keep organized since most kits have carrying cases or caddies of some kind.
Basic Cake Decorating Set
There are many things that typically come in a basic cake decorating kit. We have outlined all of the items that you can expect to see in the kits you are looking at. All of these ingredients are not written in stone, but overall, most kits end up having these items.
- Cake Decorating Bags – Decorating bags are sometimes called icing bags. These are the bags that hold all of the frostings and icings. When you are doing flowers, piping and writing, you will need a cake decorating bag along with the tips to achieve this.
- Pastry Tips – This is the main stay of a good cake decorating kit. Without tips, all those basket weaves and flowers that you want to create are impossible. The pastry tips fit on the pointed end of the pastry bag and are held on with a piece called a coupler. Pastry tips can have many different ends that will create numerous designs. Things like stars, round dots, leaves, and much, much more. Many people purchase a basic cake decorating kit and will add specialty tips as they are needed.
- Food Coloring – Food coloring in a cake decorating kit comes in liquid and paste form. The paste is more concentrated and produces much better coloration. Food coloring is used to add many different colors to plain white frosting when decorating.
- Writing Gel – This ingredient comes in both pen and tube form. It is used for letting and adding more defined details.
- Sprinkles, glitters, sanding sugar, pearls, etc, all edible – Decorating embellishments are a major part of cake decorating. The best time to add edible embellishments is when the icing or frosting is wet. That will help them stick well.
- Serrated Knife – This will cut the cake into horizontal slices when you are making multi-level cakes.
- Icing Spatulas – These spatulas come in different widths and lengths. They usually have offset or straight handles. They are used to spread the frosting and icing on the cakes. Offset spatulas are better at keeping the right angle when you are smoothing the frosting around the cake.
- Cake Decorating Stand – A cake stand gets the cake up higher which makes the decorating job much easier. Some kits have an elevated cake stand and others kits do not, so if this is something that you want and your chosen kit does not have it you will need to purchase it separately. If you are getting into the more professional end of cake decorating, you will want to invest in a rotating cake stand which makes the decorating process even easier.
- Cake Base – Extra – These come in a variety of shapes, sizes and materials. The cake base is what the cake rests on and prevents the cake from coming apart when it is moved. If you are moving a large, heavy cake you will want to get a very sturdy cake base to support it properly.
- Fondant – Extra – This thick, pliable sugar paste is used for many different decorating tasks. It creates a very smooth sheet of icing that can either be cut into different shapes or draped over the cake completely to make a smooth surface for a multitude of flowers and other frosting decorations. Fondant can be purchased at specialty stores or made at home. There are videos available that can teach people how to make fondant if you don’t already know how.
- Molds and Cutters – Extra – These are used in cake decorating for forming fondant and/or gum paste into 3d shapes for the cake. You can find molds in a variety of patterns and materials. Pastry cutters can be used to cut fondant shapes as well.
- Airbrush – This is used to spray decorating paint onto the frosting. This paint is edible. Airbrush kits are available that have everything you need to do airbrush cake decorating. There are also hours of tutorials online that can help you learn to do this. You cannot use the same airbrush that you paint with to decorate cakes with.
Cake decorating is a great way to express your creativity and enjoy baking. Decorated cakes are a real show stopper at gatherings and parties. It doesn’t have to be stressful and nerve-wracking to decorate a cake. Even if you are a beginner, you can do a lot with a cake by watching a few videos.
Choosing the right cake decorating kit is the first step in learning how to decorate cakes properly. The right tools makes learning much easier; especially if they are high quality kits like any of the three we have featured above.
The information in this buyer’s guide tells you the items that are typically in a cake decorating kit. If the kits you are looking at don’t have the items listed above, you can look for kits that do or you can purchase the additional pieces separately to give yourself a complete kit.
Cake decorating is a fun and rewarding activity that will please family, friends and even complete strangers. Some people just decorate cakes for their own families and friends and others decide they love it so much they want to make a career out of it. Whichever you choose, remember that the foundation for decorating cakes properly starts with a quality cake decorating kit. Start with that and the sky is the limit.
- Wilton – http://www.wilton.com/