Top 10 Canister Vacuums
|Picture||Canister Vacuums||Power Ratings (amps)||Wattage||Bagless|
|Miele Compact C1||10.00||1,200||No|
|Miele Classic C1||10.00||1,200||No|
|Miele Complete C2||10.00||1,200||No|
Canister Vacuum Comparison
Canister Vacuum Buying Guide
What is a Canister Vacuum?
There are several things that you want to take into consideration before you purchase a canister vacuum for your home. These factors will help you choose the right vacuum for your cleaning needs.
- What type of flooring do you have? – Canister vacuums tend to do better on bare floors but there are models that can clean even carpeted areas well. You want to look for one that has a powered on/off brushroll or one that offers a dedicated powered attachment that is specifically for carpets.
- Do you have pets? – Pet hair can be a real problem for some vacuums so look for a canister vacuum that has a pet hair attachment. These attachments may be in the form of a brush or an attachment with rubber fingers that grab pet hair from soft surfaces. Crevice tools can be used to vacuum pet hair from corners and crevices and the regular upholstery brushes can be used to remove pet hair from furniture.
- Are allergies an issue? – If anyone in your home has allergies, purchasing a canister vacuum with a HEPA filtration system will help improve air quality and get rid of a lot of the airborne allergens and particles floating around.
- How large is your home? – If you have a two story house with many rooms, you want to purchase a canister vacuum that is easy to maneuver around and carry. If you have an open floor plan all on one floor, you can get away with a heavier model that isn’t as maneuverable.
- Does Bagged or Bagless matter? – This decision is a personal preference call. While bagged canister vacuums have to have replacement bags purchased, bagless varieties have to be emptied a lot more often which can be messy and annoying.
Features to Look for in a Canister Vacuum
When you start looking to purchase a canister vacuum, there are certain things that you want to look for. We have listed the most popular features that usually make up the higher quality canister vacuums. You may want all of them in the vacuum you choose or you may only be interested in certain ones.
- Wide cleaning path – Most cleaning paths range anywhere from 10-15 inches wide. The wider the cleaning path of the vacuum is, the fewer passes you’ll have to make when cleaning larger rooms.
- Long Power Cord – A long power cord of at least 20 feet long means that you won’t have to keep changing outlets. Some canister vacuums have power cords as long as 33 feet long. Cord wraps are a must, and if possible a retractable power cord is even better and more convenient.
- Long Hose – A long hose gives the user more reach, especially when the attachments are on the end of it.
- Larger Dirt Capacity – The larger the capacity is the less often you will have to be bothered with changing out vacuum bags or emptying dirt bins in the bagless varieties.
- Attachments – A variety of attachments is always a good thing when looking for a canister vacuum. Attachments such as crevice tools, upholstery tools, dusting brushes, floor brushes, pet hair tools and more are all very useful attachments to have.
- Lightweight Design – Canister Vacuums come in lightweight models and heavier models. The weight range is usually between 9 and 24 pounds. The lighter canisters are much easier to carry up stairs and maneuver around.
You want the canister vacuum you choose to be easy to handle which will avoid potential problems like back pain, fatigue and irritation. There are several things that will make the vacuum much easier to handle. We will list the things to look for in a vacuum that will make it easier to handle.
Larger wheels will make the canister vacuum easier to maneuver, especially if you have carpeting in your home that is thicker. If the wheels are too small, they can get bogged down in thick carpeting or be stuck by power cords rather than simply rolling over them easily.
The weight of the vacuum also plays a large part in how easy it is to handle. You don’t want to have to drag a heavy machine around behind you as you vacuum or carry one upstairs that you have to struggle with. Lightweight doesn’t have to mean flimsy or low quality. Just be certain to check all the other factors that we have provided to ensure that the vacuum is good quality. If you need to carry your vacuum such as up or down stairs, you will want there to be a convenient carry handle so it is easier to maneuver.
A long power cord of at least 20 feet will allow you to vacuum the entire room without having to change outlets. If you have large rooms, this feature is very convenient. Power cord length will vary according to the model and make of the vacuum.
Rubber casings around the canister will prevent damage to the canister as well as damage to woodwork, walls and furniture as you are vacuuming.
Look for telescopic wands that make cleaning drapes and ceiling corners easier. This will be much better than stretching and reaching.
Easy to reach controls are also very convenient. You don’t want to have to search for them. Controls can be located on the canister or on the wand itself. The controls on the wands prevent you from having to bend over to turn on the vacuum. If they are on the canister, you may be able to use your foot to turn it on and off.
Durability and Warranty
Always look for a canister vacuum that offers a warranty. A company that offers a warranty on their products shows that they trust their own product and that should give you additional peace of mind. Warranties can range from one year up to 5 years or more. The longer the warranty the better if at all possible.
Finding a good canister vacuum will take a little bit of time and research. Having a good quality vacuum means that you will be able to keep your home clean much easier. With all of the choices available, choosing the right canister vacuum may seem like a challenge but we have taken care of the work for you by providing you with this buyer’s guide.
The right information makes sorting through the choices much simpler so you can find the one that will meet your cleaning needs and preferences. Having the knowledge of the product you are researching gives you the ability to make an informed decision that will meet those needs help you achieve the clean house you want.
- Panasonic – http://shop.panasonic.com/
- Sanitaire – http://www.sanitairevacuumsales.com/
- Hoover – http://hoover.com/