We spent over 38 hours researching and testing 12 different types of cigarette rolling machines and found that good features, cost, and types of cigarette materials were most important. The Powermatic 2 Plus Cigarette Rolling Machine scored high in all categories and is our top pick. We loved the savings this provided for us by rolling our own cigarettes. This machine can easily roll 20 cigarettes at once and saves time and money with the only additional purchase being the tubes. It offers the option of rolling king size cigarettes or 100s quickly and easily.
Up until this point, it’s safe to say that you’re most likely used to the majority of cigarettes looking the exact same; with the exception of brand stamps and sizes, of course. When you roll your own; however, you’ll notice that you’re a lot less limited in the type of cigarettes you’re able to produce. Rolling cigarettes smaller than regular and larger than king size is now a possibility. You’ll also be able to choose between both filtered and filter-less cigarettes, depending on your preference. Assuming you plan on using a cigarette rolling machine, the state your cigarettes will be in relies purely on which rolling machine you choose to go with in the first place.
Cigarette rolling machines can come in a wide variety of different shapes and sizes. Some require a flick of the wrist to come out with a regular looking cigarette, while others may give you more customization options with a bit more effort on your end. As such, there isn’t really one best rolling machine for smokers as a whole. Because of this, the following review will cover three of the most high-quality rolling machines on the market, ensuring you’ll find the best product to suit your own needs. We’ll also find out just how each machine varies from one another, helping you decide which one is best for you.
Top 10 Cigarette Rolling Machines
|1||Powermatic 2||Standard, King, 100mm||Electric|
|2||Top-O-Matic||Standard, King, 100mm||Manual|
|3||Powermatic||Standard, King, 100mm||Manual|
|5||Powermatic Mini||King, 100mm||Manual|
|6||Zig Zag||King, 100mm||Manual|
When it comes to cigarette rolling machines, you can opt for a high degree of customization potential (such as choosing how long, thick and tightly-packed your cigarettes are) or you can go for a unit which offers a great deal of efficiency through rolling cigarettes at a blinding speed. However, you’ll be limited to choosing from one of the two above qualities. While you can certainly get rolling machines which lie somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, offering you a bit of both worlds, you’ll never find something that offers all of the features on either side of the spectrum simultaneously. Which product is best for you in this regard truly just comes down to a matter of preference.
If all that matters to you is getting a large amount of cigarettes rolled over a short amount of time, the Powermatic 2 PLUS is likely just what you need. If you’d like a bit more control over how tight your cigarettes are packed, though aren’t keen on sacrificing too much in the way of overall efficiency, try one of the other two rolling machines on for size. There’s no doubt that all three machines are of quality, though it’s up to you to decide which best suits your needs.
Cigarette Rolling Machine Comparison Chart
|King, 100mm||King, 100mm||King, 110mm||King, 100mm||King||King|
|5.50 x 4.00 x 3.80||12.00 x 6.00 x 8.00||8.00 x 10.00 x 4.00||1.00 x 1.00 x 3.50||3.90 x 3.90 x 2.00||4.30 x 1.00 x 0.70||1.00 x 1.00 x 3.50||12.00 x 6.00 x 8.00||11.30 x 8.10 x 2.70||4.20 x 0.90 x 1.40|
Cigarette Rolling Machine Buying Guide
What is a Cigarette Rolling Machine?
While there is truly no escaping today’s extremely high tobacco taxes, there are certain methods of damage control you may choose to undertake. One of such methods is the rolling of your own cigarettes. Depending on where you live, you may find rolling tobacco to be cheaper than cigarettes on a gram-by-gram basis due to a different taxing scheme being imposed on them.
While this all sounds great, you may find yourself having a bit of difficulty getting a decent cigarette at first, let alone one which resembles the Pall Malls you’ve been smoking for all of these years. This is especially true if you’ve been rolling your cigarettes by hand with nothing more than a pouch of tobacco and a pack of Zig Zags. For this reason, getting the perfect cigarette rolling machine can make your transition from tailor-made to homemade cigarettes a whole lot easier. This is, of coarse, assuming you get the right cigarette rolling machine in the first place.
Perhaps you’re still not quite sure which cigarette rolling machine is best for you? Or maybe you’d like to branch out from the above list and take shopping into your own hands? You’ll find doing so a breeze, so long as you keep the following considerations in mind.
How Much Do You Smoke?
If you smoke two packs a day, you’ll likely want to opt for a rolling machine which puts a large emphasis on efficiency. Nothing will drive you back to store-bought cigarettes like having to sit down for an hour every day just to fill up your pack.
What else will you be smoking?
While this may not apply to everyone, if you fancy the occasional cigar or cigarillo, there are actually machines which will be able to roll those as well as cigarettes, though they may require more work to use.
What is your preferred smoke?
If you prefer unfiltered cigarettes or only want to smoke those of a certain size, the perfect cigarette rolling machine for you is out there, though you may have to look around for it for a while. Be sure to check what any given unit can roll before finalizing your purchase.
Types of Rolling Machines
To make the above information easier to use in practice, let’s look at a few different types of cigarette rolling machines and find out what each one can do for you.
- Injectors – The three rolling machines we covered above all fit into this category. While they may not give you much control over how your cigarettes turn out, they’re the most efficient.
- Thumb Rollers – Thumb rollers may take some time to master, though they give you more control over your cigarette. You’ll be able to experiment with different sizes and include filters at your own discretion. These can also be used with cigar wrapper leaves, making them great if you also enjoy cigarillos. Thumb rollers have the potential to either create the best or worst cigarette. They also take much longer to use.
- Glock-Style Injectors – Some injectors come with no handles and have you pull back on the top glock style. While these offer no benefit over handle-equipped injectors and can be harder to use, they generally come at a much lower price.
- Electronic Cigarette Rollers – These rollers are similar to injectors, though are powered electronically. These are what you might expect to find in a cigarette factory and are likely to produce the most consistent product every time. These are great if you don’t mind spending some serious money, though their cost-to-quality ratio isn’t nearly as high as standard injectors.
Common Machine Features
As you can see, each cigarette roller functions through a completely different means, making each type more suited to one type of person. There are; however, a few common features to look for which are sure to better your experience.
- A Large Chamber – “Chamber,” in this sense, is not an official term. It refers to the area of a roller where you place the tobacco. Outside of thumb rollers, bigger chambers are usually better as they’ll allow you to roll more cigarettes in a row without having to stop for a refill.
- A Tight Fit – You want your cigarette tubes to be able to stay secure as you fill them with tobacco. Otherwise, you may find they fall off when you try to roll a tighter cigarette. This can prove very frustrating and can make the entire process of rolling a good cigarette much harder.
- A “Normal” Size – This one only applies to thumb rollers. If you pick one of these up, take a look at its advertised length. Typically, you want something that resembles a particular cigarette size (regular, king size, etc.) so that you may buy a refillable pack which keeps your cigarettes secure without knocking them all over the place.
The most important takeaway here is that picking a cigarette rolling machine with the proper variables is extremely important if you’d like to get a cigarette which closely resembles the brand you already smoke. As if switching from Pall Mall to American Spirit or Marlborough wasn’t enough of a challenge, switching to cigarettes of a completely different size and feel can prove many more times challenging. Luckily, this is a problem which can easily be avoided by choosing the right cigarette rolling machine.
Before deciding upon your cigarette rolling machine of choice, it’s important to keep in mind exactly what features you need to keep your homemade smoking experience consistent with what you’ve grown used to. This makes the transition from store-bought cigarettes to homemade cigarettes much less painful. In fact, with the right rolling machine, rolling papers/tubes and tobacco, you may find making the switch to require no effort at all. Keeping all of the previously discussed factors in mind before making the switch once and for all will ensure things run as smoothly as possible.