Coffee Tables Review
We spent over 25 hours researching and testing 15 different kinds of coffee tables and found that construction, materials, and size were most important. The Dorel Living Faux Marble Coffee Table scored high marks in all categories and is our top pick. This stylish coffee table will add plenty of class to your den or living room. The lift up top provides additional storage for remote controls and other items you want to keep close. The solid wood construction and wood veneers create a stunning look that resembles real marble. The top is hinged and can also be used as a laptop table or meal tray.
Introduction to the Coffee Tables
Whether it is a studio apartment or big country home, the majority of living rooms will feature a coffee table of some kind. Coffee tables come in a large variety of styles, sizes, materials and finishes. Choosing the right coffee table for your home is an important decision because it is usually at the center of the rest of your living room furniture. This means it will get a lot of use and attention.
There are several things you want to look at and consider when you are looking for the perfect coffee table for your home. These considerations will include such things as shape, size, utility, materials used in construction, and style. All of these factors will have a bearing on the coffee table you choose.
With the hundreds of choices available it is very easy to become overwhelmed when you are trying to decide on the right one. This coffee table buyer’s guide will help you sort through all the different choices and eliminate the confusion so you can make an informed decision that you will be confident about.
Top 10 Coffee Tables
|1||Dorel||22.00 x 40.00 x 18.00||Espresso|
|2||Emerald||48.00 x 24.00 x 18.00||Distressed|
|3||Ashley||28.10 x 42.00 x 17.90||Reclaimed|
|4||DHP||19.00 x 39.00 x 17.70||Espresso|
|5||Saunder||19.45 x 43.15 x 18.98||Cherry|
|6||Cotton Craft||18.50 x 18.00 x 6.80||Accent|
|7||Convenience||15.50 x 48.00 x 28.00||Wood Grain|
|8||Garretson||47.00 x 23.25 x 17.00||Espresso|
|9||Altra||19.50 x 42.00 x 17.85||Retro|
|10||Monarch||44.00 x 32.00 x 16.00||Contemporary|
Coffee Tables Summary
Coffee tables have a lot of uses. They can hold magazines, drinks, your feet, games, food and books to name a few. It is almost always right in the middle of the room so it is one of the most noticed and used pieces of furniture in your home. Because of its high profile you want to ensure that you choose one that will go with your existing furniture and decorating style and give the room a finished look.
We have featured three coffee tables that are top rated coffee tables among consumers. All three of these quality tables would make an excellent center piece for your living room, family room or den.
If the design of these coffee tables isn’t what you were looking for, read the buyer’s guide below. It contains information that will teach you about the different types of coffee tables available as well as the things you will want to look for when you are shopping for one.
This information will help make the research and selection process simple and not stressful or scary at all. You will end up with a coffee table that you will be proud to feature right in the center of your home.
Coffee Table Comparison
|22.00 x 40.00 x 18.00||48.00 x 24.00 x 18.00||28.10 x 42.00 x 17.90||19.00 x 39.00 x 17.70||19.45 x 43.15 x 18.98||18.50 x 18.00 x 6.80||15.50 x 48.00 x 28.00||47.00 x 23.25 x 17.00||19.50 x 42.00 x 17.85||44.00 x 32.00 x 16.00|
Coffee Table Buying Guide
There are several questions that you will want to have answered before you purchase a coffee table for your home. These criteria below will help you select the perfect table for your needs.
- Why do you want a coffee table? – Do you want a place for people to put up their feet or are you looking for a place to place coffee table books or magazines? Are you looking for a piece of furniture that can double as storage or extra seating? What is your reason for wanting a coffee table? You are not having to defend your decision to get one but knowing why you want one helps you choose the right style and design.
- What room are you putting the coffee table? – Is the room spacious or small? Do you have a lot of living room furniture that will be around the coffee table? How large is the furniture you are working with?
- Will the coffee table be the focal point? – Do you want a coffee table to blend in with the furniture or stand out? What do you want in a coffee table from a decorating stand point?
- Do you want portability? – Will you be moving the coffee table out of the way for gatherings or do you want something that works with what you use the space for? If portability is desired, look for coffee tables that have casters or that are lighter in weight.
- Consider the size of your furniture – When choosing a coffee table you want it to match the size of the other furniture. Choosing a large coffee table that overpowers the rest of the furniture can leave the room feeling unbalanced. Balance the size of the coffee table with the rest of the furnishings.
- What storage options do you want? – Are you looking for drawers? A lift up top that conceals a storage compartment? Is a shelf underneath enough storage or do you want something with more room?
- Do you have kids and/or pets? – Consider kids and pets when you are choosing your coffee table. You may want to consider a table that is more durable and resistant to stains from drinks placed on it or dirty shoes being plopped onto the top. Kids can be forgetful when it comes to things like this and you don’t want an expensive, fancy coffee table ruined.
- Sturdy places for drinks – If you plan on the coffee table being a place for people to place their drinks think about the material and design of the top of the coffee table. Slatted tops are very unsteady for placing drinks and can lead to a lot of spills.
- What is the décor theme? – Is your living room modern? Contemporary? Do you want something rustic or sleek and elegant? Think about the theme of the room that the coffee table will be in and make sure it fits in well.
- What material are you interested in? – Do you like wood? Metal and glass? What materials are you looking for in your coffee table? If you like solid wood are you looking for natural or finished wood?
Once you have answered all these questions you will have a great idea of what you are looking for when it comes to a coffee table. These questions are designed to help narrow down the hundreds of choices that are available so you can choose the perfect coffee table that does everything you want it to for the room.
Coffee tables are available in a wide range of price points. If budget is a concern, set the amount before you start looking so you don’t find coffee tables that are too expensive. Set a budget that is reasonable yet offers you a good selection of choices. Quality is the most important thing so don’t let cost be the ONLY thing you base your decision on.
How Much Space Do You Need?
The ideal distance from the sofa to the coffee table is 18” from the edge of the sofa to the edge of the table. This is a comfortable distance to reach for a drink you have sitting on the coffee table and isn’t too far away to comfortably put your feet up if that is one of the uses you have assigned your coffee table. This 18” rule applies to all the seating in the room that you want to be close to the coffee table.
What is the Right Height?
The height of a coffee table is important. Ideally you want the top of the coffee table to be 1 to 2 inches shorter than the seat of the sofa or chairs that are around it. Most coffee tables are 16” to 18” tall but if your furniture is taller or you have a lot of gatherings and parties, consider a taller table that is 20” to 21” tall.
Kid Friendly Furniture
If you have young children you may want to consider a table that is oval or round. Sharp corners can be really dangerous for little ones, especially those who are just learning to walk. If you don’t like oval or round tables, it is a very good idea to get corner protectors that will provide cushion in the event a little one accidentally falls. Don’t forget to look for coffee tables that have a shelf underneath where you can place baskets for little ones’ toys or books.
Benefits of Glass Coffee Tables
Glass coffee tables are a good choice for a modern or contemporary home, especially for newly married or professional couples that don’t have children yet. Glass is a lot sleeker than wooden furniture and is easy to keep clean. Glass tables also won’t get ruined by setting a glass down on top that gets the space underneath it wet. Another popular reason that people love glass coffee tables is because it is very good for not covering up other décor such as a beautiful rug.
Benefits of Wood Coffee Tables
Wood is a popular choice with many people; especially those who love a more elegant or rustic look. Wood coffee tables can go either way depending on their design. They can be very elegant with Victorian curves and dark, rich finishes or rustic and down to earth distressed wood that fits perfectly in a log cabin or country home.
Choosing the right coffee table is a very important choice that will affect the way your living room, family room or den looks. The right coffee table can pull together the whole room and give it a polished, finished look. With the hundreds of different styles, materials, types and sizes of coffee tables on the market you are sure to find one that will be just perfect for all your needs.
The three top rated coffee tables we have chosen above are great examples of some different styles that are available. They are very popular with consumers for their quality, design and style. A coffee table purchase is a personal thing so if these top rated choices aren’t what you were looking for you can use the information you have learned in this buyer’s guide to sort through the other choices and see which ones appeal to you.
Don’t forget to keep the questions that we listed at the beginning of the guide in mind so you can determine exactly the type of coffee table you are looking for. This information can help you make a confident choice that will fit in perfectly with your preferences, lifestyle, needs and the rest of the décor in your living room as well.
- Dorel Living – http://www.dorelliving.com/
- Emerald Home – http://emeraldhome.com/
- Ashley Furniture – https://www.ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/