Decorative Planters Review
The best decorative planter is economical, sturdy, durable and adds a lot of style to the area you have placed it. Our pick, Round Glazetone Planter, is a heavy duty steel planter with a choice of several brilliant colors that are painted over it.
View on Amazon
Introduction to the Decorative Planters
Decorative planters are used from anything from container gardening to planting flowers and plants to spruce up your porch, deck, patio or garden area. Decorative planters can also be used inside to enhance the look of your home.
There are many different types of decorative planters on the market made from a multitude of materials. If you don’t know what is out there, it makes it difficult to choose the one that will be the best for your needs.
There are several things you want to consider when looking for the right decorative planter for your home or outdoor space. With all of the different materials available it is easy to find a planter that will match the décor or style you currently have.
This buyer’s guide will help you understand the different factors involved in finding the perfect decorative planter for your needs. These factors will make it much easier to sort through all the different choices and make the selection process a little easier.
Top 10 Decorative Planters
|5||Gifts & Decor||Earthenware||6.50 - 12.00|
Round Glazetone Planter
This attractive heavy duty steel planter is covered in urethane and is available in a variety of glazed colors that look like pottery.
They are very unique looking and rugged. You can use these planters indoors and outdoors. They are able to withstand all weather conditions without getting mold or staining on the outside of the planter.
The planter has rubber feet on the bottom of the planter and contains a removable drain plug that prevents root rot from occurring. This decorative planter comes in a variety of terrific colors including:
- Fire red
- Azure blue
Listo Sierra Planter, 16” Diameter
The graceful curves and stylish look of this Sierra planter can complement any room or outdoor space. It contains an internal saucer that provides a reservoir that makes plant care very easy.
This planter measures 16” in diameter and holds 5.64 gallons. You will have no leaks, mess or spills when using this planter. The Nordic Bronze color gives an antique feel to the planter that works well with stone houses or Spanish style homes as well.
If you are looking for just the right decorative planter that adds plenty of elegance and functionality, the Listo Sierra Planter is perfect. They can hold flowers, plants, small trees and even tomato plants.
REAL Planters V-2 Vertical Log Planter
This unique and rustic planter is painted with paint that is weather resistant and UV resistant that prevents weathering and fading. It is the perfect planter for herb gardens, flowers, plants, vegetables and more.
This REAL planter is made from high quality polyurethane that is easy to move and very lightweight. It looks just like a log section and is perfect for decorating log cabins and other homes that have a rustic style. The log-look planter measures 10 ½” in diameter and 9” high.
The design of this planter insulates anything you have planted in it from extreme temperatures so you can grow the perfect plants and flowers. There are drain holes with plugs for use indoors and outdoors. Each one is individually crafted and made in the USA.
Decorative Planters Summary
Decorative planters are perfect for container gardening as well as adding to the décor of your home and outdoor spaces. They are easy to move around from one place to another and can easily transform the look of a room or deck.
People use decorative planters in many different ways. They can be used as a single planter in the corner or as a grouping of planters on your porch to dress up the first impression people have of your home.
The three decorative planters we have reviewed above are just a few of the different styles available. These top rated planters are durable, long lasting and full of style. Any one of them would add a splash of color and uniqueness to whatever room you choose to put it.
If you’re looking for something different than what we featured above, read the buyer’s guide below. It will provide you with the information you need to understand the different types of decorative planters available and their features.
We will also give you the knowledge to determine your needs and show you how to sort through the different styles, sizes and types of decorative planters on the market so you can make an informed decision.
Decorative Planter Comparison
Gifts & Decor
Decorative Planter Buyers Guide
There are several things you want to consider when researching different decorative planters. We have listed these considerations below.
- Determine what you want to plant in the decorative planter you will be purchasing. You will need to make sure that the planter has plenty of room for root growth and soil.
- Make sure that the planter has drain holes. If you find one you really like but it doesn’t have drain holes, make sure it is made from material that can be drilled and you can add the drain holes later. Drain holes are important in preventing root rot.
- The porosity of the planter is also important. The soil you put into the decorative planter needs to be able to breathe so the roots get all the oxygen they need. A porous material will allow this.
- If you are placing the planter outside, make sure it is made from material that is all weather resistant. This will enable you to leave it outside even in harsh weather.
- If you like dark colored planters, keep in mind that they absorb more heat than lighter colors and can require more watering.
- To prevent evaporation of much needed moisture, choose a nonporous material for any planter that will be kept in direct sunlight.
- Make sure that the planter has a reservoir or drip tray to account for days you don’t water the planter.
- If you live in colder climates and will be keeping the planter outdoors, look for materials such as cement , wood and stone that are naturally frost-free.
Things to Consider Before Purchase
There are several other factors you will need to take into consideration when you start researching different decorative planters. Things like budget, season and other things will determine which planter is the best fit for your needs.
- What is the size of the area you are placing the planter – Large planters look really good in areas that have a lot of space. Smaller planters or even groupings of several planters look good in smaller areas and can add a lot to a little space.
- Know the size of the plant you are growing – You need to look at how large the plant, flowers or tree that you are planting will get. Planters are measured in height and diameter size. You want to ensure that there is plenty of room for growth when you plant things so they do not become root bound. On the flip side of this, a planter that is too large for the plant can cause excess moisture can drown the plants. Try and match the planter to what you are planting while allowing a little room for growing.
- Do you want to move the planter around? – Some materials will automatically be much heavier than others. If you want to purchase a planter that you can easily move from one place to another look for resin planters which are very durable but lightweight. Concrete and cast iron are not good choices due to the weight they possess.
- Keep the seasons in mind – If you live in a region that has 4 definite seasons, you are going to experience some drastic temperature changes throughout the year. Look for materials that do well in harsh weather such as stone, concrete and plastic. Ceramic or clay can crack in near freezing temperatures so it would be a great choice for those who live in tropical areas but not areas that get snow and ice.
- Look for proper drainage holes – You need to know the water requirements of the plants or flowers you are planting so you get a planter that has the proper drainage. Not all planters have drainage holes but some are made from materials that you can drill into and create your own drainage holes. These holes are important in preventing overwatering. Planters that do not have drainage holes are usually meant to hide less than attractive pots and are not designed for actual planting.
- Budget – Set a budget before you start looking around so you know the price range you want to stay within. Planters come in all price points so with some research and time you can find a great assortment of planters in whatever budget you set. Plastic will almost always be the cheapest planters but concrete and other heavier materials will be more durable and last longer.
Common Planter Materials
We have listed the most popular and common materials used in making decorative planters. We have also provided characteristics of each material.
- Wood – This contemporary material is durable and very strong. It is a good choice for tall and heavy plants. Wood planters look wonderful on front porches and decks. They are weather resistant and can be painted any color you choose. Some of the disadvantages to using wood planters include the potential of damage from woodlice, termites and ants, and they require regular maintenance to keep their good looks.
- Clay – A more traditional look for a planter is clay. It is on the less expensive side of the spectrum which makes it a great choice for budget-conscious shoppers. Terra cotta and fiber clay are two examples of clay materials used in planters. Clay planters provide you with a very traditional look for your garden. They come in many different sizes and shapes. Some disadvantages to using clay planters is that they can break easily and the larger sizes can be very difficult to move. They are also difficult to clean. Clay can be painted as well and many people use them for decorative painting for new and interesting looks.
- Metal – If you are looking for a more rustic look for your outdoor spaces, think of using metal. Metal planters are very durable and are perfect for heavy plantings. A few common metals used for planters are steel and zinc. They are good choices for winter containers and will last a long time. A disadvantage to metal planters is that they heat up quickly in sunlight and heat and require the plants to be watered mire often to prevent drying out.
- Plastic – Plastic planters come in a large variety of colors, styles, and sizes. Plastic is a consumer favorite due to its low price, lightweight material and huge range of choices. They offer great water retention and are waterproof as well. They are good choices for indoor and outdoor use. They are also frost proof and easy to move around if desired. Some disadvantages to plastic planters include fading and weakening when they have been exposed to a lot of sunlight.
- Ceramic – This material is available in a lot of different colors and patterns. They typically have a lot of decorative detailing which looks great inside and outside. They are waterproof and usually bottom-heavy so they don’t tip over. A couple of disadvantages are their breakability and expense, as they can usually be on the more expensive side of the spectrum due to the decorative detailing involved.
- Stone and Concrete – These large and heavy materials make great outdoor planters that are perfect for large plants and trees. They are more expensive than other types of planters and can last years. They are very good at maintaining proper soil temperature and moisture while providing good insulation for the plants. They are good for all season use. Due to their size and weight, concrete and stone planters can be difficult to move around and are usually stationary.
- Granite – Granite is a great choice for those who like contemporary decorating. They are frost-proof and durable which makes them an excellent choice for winter time. There are many different styles available to choose from as well as different price points. They are on the expensive side of the price spectrum and will require sealing every 12 months or so.
- Resin – Resin is used most often to mimic other materials like stone, wood, terracotta and more. It is a popular choice due to the inexpensive nature. Resin planters are lightweight, have good water retention and are waterproof as well. The lightweight nature of the material makes it susceptible to tipping over in high winds. It is not a good material for heavy plantings.
Decorative planters come in so many different materials, sizes, shapes, styles and weights that it is impossible to list them all. When you are looking for the right planter for your planting needs, there is a lot to think about and a lot of options to choose from.
For this reason, having some knowledge of what is out there can be very beneficial to you and make the research and selection process much less overwhelming and complicated. Start with what you want to plant and where you want to plant it and go from there.
The three top rated decorative planter choices above are all great choices for those looking for something eye-catching, durable and functional as well. They work well indoors and out and provide the room and quality you are looking for.
The information in this guide is designed to help your decision be much simpler. Knowledge is the key to making an informed decision that will produce a planter that you love for years to come.
- Novelty – http://www.noveltymfg.com/
- Listo – http://www.hc-companies.com/Consumer-Products.aspx
- REAL – http://surrealplanters.com/