We spent over 38 hours researching and testing 20 different drip coffee makers and found that ease of use, cup capacity, and special features were most important. The BUNN BXB Velocity Brew Coffee Maker scored high marks in all areas and is our top pick. This coffee maker provides excellent tasting coffee easily and quickly, with a capacity to brew 4 to 10 cups of coffee in as little as 3-4 minutes. Because of the Velocity brewing technique, your water is kept at the right temperature in the internal tank. The warming plate has a porcelain coating and can be separately turned off or on. This coffee maker comes with a three year warranty.
Introduction to the Drip Coffee Maker
Drip coffee makers have been popular for many decades now, although today’s models have a lot more features and bells and whistles than the ones decades ago had. If you are a big coffee drinker, you want a way to enjoy excellent tasting, fresh-brewed coffee right in your own home.
A good quality coffee maker can cost close to $100 or more, but if you compare that to the cost of purchasing a $3-$4 cup of coffee at a coffee house every day and the coffee maker will pay for itself within the first month.
With all of the choices available on the market, you will need to do a little homework to make sure you know exactly what you want as well as the features that are important to you. That will ensure that you get the drip coffee maker that will provide you with the coffee you want.
Top 10 Drip Coffee Makers
|Rank||Picture||Coffee Maker||Capacity (cups)||Brewing Time (min)|
|4||Mr. Coffee BVMC||12||12|
|5||Mr. Coffee DRX5||4||4|
|6||Hamilton Beach 48464||12||10|
|7||Hamilton Beach 46201||12||10|
|8||Black & Decker DCM600B||5||5|
Top Rated Drip Coffee Makers Summary
There are dozens of different kinds of drip coffee makers on the market today. You need to determine exactly what your needs are to narrow down the choices; doing this can help you choose the right drip coffee maker that will have the features you want.
We conducted research to determine the best drip coffee makers on the market. By comparing the top 20 coffee makers against each other in the categories of ease of use, performance, features, cup capacity, and other categories as well we were able to see the top three drip coffee makers that were at the top of the list in all of these categories.
Drip Coffee Maker Comparison
BUNN BXB Velocity
Mr. Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT
Mr. Coffee DRX5
Hamilton Beach 48464
Hamilton Beach 46201
Black & Decker DCM600B
|15.5 x 8.8 x 14.6||6 x 9 x 11||9.5 x 11 x 16.2||11.1 x 9.1 x 14.4||9.6 x 7.1 x 10.7||11 x 8.2 x 15.2||16 x 11.2 x 9||9.8 x 7.2 x 10.8||12.4 x 6.8 x 12.2||7.8 x 9 x 14|
|Power||600 W||650 W||1200 W||450 W||400 W||450 W||600 W||450 W||1500 W||650 W|
|0 – 4||0 – 2||0 – 4||0 – 2||0 – 2||0 – 4||0 – 2||0 – 2||0 – 2||0 – 4|
|Warranty||3 Years||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year|
Drip Coffee Maker Buying Guide
What is the Right Coffee Maker for You?
There are several things that you will need to answer before you purchase a drip coffee maker. The answers to the following questions will automatically help narrow the choices so you only have to look at the ones that fit your needs and preferences.
- Determine your budget – This is one of the most important aspects of choosing a drip coffee maker. Drip coffee makers can range from $10 to well over $200. Knowing ahead of time what your budget is will eliminate all the machines that fall outside of that range. If you don’t drink coffee very much at all it is not necessary to purchase an expensive drip coffee maker.
- Hot plate or thermal? – The difference between thermal coffee make and glass pot coffee makers is that the coffee is brewed directly into an insulated carafe rather than having to place a glass pot on a hot plate to keep warm. The insulated carafe of the thermal coffee maker keeps the coffee at brewing temperature for over an hour. Two seems to be the most common time frame.
- Do you want to grind the beans? – Grinding or not grinding your beans yourself is a personal preference. Some grinders are separate and some are a built-in component of combination grinder/brewers. The combination brewer/grinders are better for those who are dealing with less storage space.
- How much space do you have? – You will need to have an idea of the storage space you have to work with both in clearance of the cabinets and the space you have to set a drip coffee maker. It is much easier to purchase a coffee maker that fits in the space you have easily rather than having to find a place to store it in between uses. If you make coffee frequently, having to drag it out every time can become inconvenient very quickly.
- How Often do You Make Coffee? – How much you will use your drip coffee maker is an important piece of information to have. If making coffee is a rarity for special occasions or when guests are over, you will not need a coffee maker that has a large cup capacity. If you make coffee one or more times each day, you will want to spend some extra money on a drip coffee maker that has some good features that will make it easier and more convenient to use.
Drip Coffee Maker Features
Coffee makers have a multitude of potential features depending on the model you are looking at. Below we have outlined the more common features that drip coffee makers can have. See which ones appeal to your needs and preferences so you can choose a machine that fits with what you are looking for.
- Good cup capacity range – Most people don’t typically make 12 cups of coffee at a time on a regular basis, but sometimes they want to make more than one cup. Look for coffee makers that have a good range. 4-12 cups is a common range and this usually fits well within most coffee drinkers’ needs.
- Programmable – Choosing a drip coffee maker that has several programmable features can add a lot to the whole coffee drinking experience. Some typical programmable features include setting a timer so the coffee maker starts brewing at a certain time that has been set, faster brewing option, one cup brewing options and several others. What features are important to you?
- Pause and brew – This unique and useful feature pauses the brewing so you can grab a quick cup of coffee before the brewing process is finished without making a mess. This is a great feature for when you are short on time.
- Automatic Shut-off – Forgetting to turn off the drip coffee maker is very easy to do especially if your usual morning routine is hurried. Auto-shut off works to automatically shut off the coffee maker after a specific amount of time.
- Water Filters – Filtered water makes better tasting coffee than water straight out of the tap. Many drip coffee makers have carbon water filters that reduce chlorine and other impurities in the water. If you choose a coffee maker that doesn’t have a carbon filter, using filtered water will help. Finding a coffee maker with the carbon filters is much more convenient than using filtered water.
- Great Warranties – Look for drip coffee makers that have excellent warranties. They don’t have to be lifetime, but the longer the warranty is the more faith the company has in their own products which can give you a lot more peace of mind. A longer warranty is more important for a higher end, more expensive model.
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Keeping your coffee maker clean is critical to keeping the great taste of your coffee. We have listed several options for keeping your coffee maker clean and producing an excellent cup of coffee.
- Vinegar – plain white vinegar is an excellent cleaner and odor eliminator for many things, including a drip coffee maker. If you clean your coffee maker on a regular basis, use 2 parts water, to 1 part vinegar solution. Add enough of the solution to fill the coffee pot and then pour into the reservoir. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then set it to brew. Repeat as needed once the vinegar water cools. Run a pot of plain water through the system to ensure all vinegar residue is gone.
- Denture Tablets – If you don’t like the smell of vinegar and don’t want the house to smell of vinegar while you are cleaning the drip coffee maker, you can use denture tablets. This method is great for removing mineral deposits which are caused by hard water. They are also great for removing any bacteria that may be inside the coffee maker. Dissolve two tablets inside the coffee pot and then pour into the reservoir. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then set to brew. Run a cycle of fresh water through afterwards.
- Salt and Ice – There is a way to get your glass coffee pot sparkling clear and looking like it is brand new. Cover the bottom of the coffee pot with salt and then put 4-5 ice cubes inside the pot. Swirl the ice and salt around continuously until the ice has melted. Pour out the mixture and repeat if there is still anything in the pot that shouldn’t be.
Drinking coffee is a favorite activity of a large number of people. With all of the coffee maker choices you have available, it can be daunting to try and figure out which is the best when so many look to be an excellent choice. The information provided in this buyer’s guide will help you sort through the dozens of choices that are available much easier so you can make a great decision on a coffee maker for your kitchen.
If you are a big coffee drinker, the coffee maker you choose is a big deal. Make sure that you know what to look for and send some time researching the different drip coffee makers that appeal to you to see which one fits your lifestyle the best.
- BUNN – http://www.bunn.com/home-products
- Zojirushi – https://www.zojirushi.com/
- Cuisinart – https://www.cuisinart.com/