Electric Knife Comparison
Rapala Heavy Duty
Hamilton Beach 74250
Hamilton Beach 74275
Hamilton Beach 74375N
Mr. Twister Piranha
MaxiMatic EK-570B Elite
WARING PRO EK120
|Blade Types||Bread blade, |
|7.5||7.5||7.5||7.5||7.5||7.5||9.0||7.5||14.0||3.5, 5.0, 7.5|
|Warranty||3 Years||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year|
Electric Knife Buying Guide
What is an Electric Knife?
Electric knives are an excellent addition to any kitchen, even if you don’t do a lot of entertaining. When you start your search for the perfect electric knife for your own home, there are many things that you will want to look for. These particular features make using the knife even more convenient.
We have listed the features and attributes that you will want to look for as you are narrowing down the choices and deciding on the electric knife that is right for you.
- Two blades – Electric knives that have two sets of blades tend to be more useful and popular than the single blade models. The longer blades can carve and cut meat while the shorter blades are perfect for bread and vegetables. Having different lengths of blades to work with, gives the user more flexibility in the foods they can cut.
- Wattage and Power – Make sure that the electric knife you choose has at least 100 watts of power. You also want to ensure that the knife has plenty of power in the motor as well. This will enable cooks to cut through even thick cuts of meat with ease. Corded electric knives tend to have more power than cordless because there is a constant feed of power from the electrical outlet that cordless varieties don’t have.
- Convenient length cord – A super short power cord will be more of a hindrance than a benefit when you are trying to carve meat. On the other hand, a super long cord can be a real safety hazard if children or pets come running through while the electric knife is being used. Look for models that have moderate length cords, around 4-5 feet is a good workable length.
- Stainless steel blades – Make sure that the blades of the electric knife you choose are durable and made of high quality stainless steel. The better quality electric knife you invest in, the longer it will last and better it will perform.
- Storage Case – Purchasing an electric knife that has a storage case is a way to have a safe place to store the knife and protect it from damage. Storage cases will range from higher end, all wood cases to simple bags that hold the electric knife and power c ord. A well built storage case can even be kept on the counter and still look great.
- Ergonomic Design – Many electric knives have ergonomic designs for the handles, making them easy to handle, use and hold for all your carving and cutting needs.
- Removable Blades – Having removable blades is a beneficial feature for many reasons. It makes them much easier to clean the blades properly and it also allows the cook to use different sized blades. Many models have a quick release button that makes changing and removing the blades super simple.
- Carving Fork – Electric knives that come with carving forks provide an additional benefit. The knife itself makes carving and cutting meats much easier but when you have a carving fork to assist you, it makes the job even more efficient and simple. Not all knives come with carving forks but if you find a model that offers that as a feature and the rest of the desired features are present that is an excellent one to consider.
It is very important to clean your electric knife properly. This will ensure the longevity of the electric knife and will remove the danger of cross contamination from using unclean blades. The best way to clean the blades is to remove them from the electric knife and clean them by hand. If there is food debris stuck to them, they can be soaked but should not be soaked while attached to the knife.
Wipe down the rest of the electric knife casing and then reattach everything once it is completely dry. Once it is all dry, it can be stored safely and out away in its case or in a drawer.
Electric knives can be sharpened with an electric knife sharpener or if they have serrated blades, sharpening steel can be used. Be sure to sharpen your electric knife after every use after it has been cleaned properly.
Corded or Cordless – Which is better?
While it is hard to beat the convenience of cordless, there are some things that go a long with cordless electric knives that make the fact that they are cordless less of a benefit. One of the most notable things is the battery life. If you have a significant amount of carving to do, you will find that it is much better to use the corded variety since there will not be a decrease or running out of power.
Cordless electric knives are definitely convenient since they can be used anywhere without worry of cords, but the charge typically doesn’t last long and the drop in power as the battery life wears down can be a real annoyance. If you don’t do a lot of carving or cutting and you use the electric knife very little, it is possible that a cordless variety will work just fine for your needs.
There are many things that an electric knife is really good for. Unlike the electric knives of old, the modern electric knives can cut through all kinds of meats, vegetables and breads with little to no problem. Electric knives should not be used on soft foods and super tough meats or those meats with bones are also not good choices to use an electric knife on.
The main benefits you will experience when using an electric knife include:
- Faster and efficient cutting – With an electric knife, traditional cutting jobs that take awhile are a thing of the past. The blades move very fast and which provide faster cuts than you can do with a manual cut.
- Precise cuts every time – When you use an electric knife you will get evenly cut slices of meats, vegetables and breads every time.
- Easier to cut with – Using a manual knife can be difficult sometimes, even when it is sharp. There’s a lot less force needed to carve meat when you use an electric knife.
Better Quality, Better Cuts
Decades ago, electric knives were a very commonly seen and used kitchen appliance. They did not have very good quality though and the results of using them were hit and miss at best. In many instances, meat would be shredded rather than sliced and things would end up looking terrible. The dissatisfaction with electric knives was so great that for awhile, they disappeared from the radar when it came to desirable kitchen products.
For awhile electric knives were in the background, not really advertised or talked about but as the years went by, they started appearing again, this time much, much better than before. Modern day electric knives are very different than their predecessors were. The blades are sharper and more durable, the quality is highly improved and the precision is improved as well. The electric knives on the market today add convenience and efficiency to your cooking and they provide you with results you will be proud to show off.
The information we have provided in this buyer’s guide shows you the features to look for when you are searching for an electric knife. Other considerations are customer reviews and the brand the electric knife comes from. If the manufacturer is a well know name in kitchen appliances, chances are you will have a high quality product in your hands.
Any one of the three top rated choices we have reviewed here have most of the features on the list above and will make a great addition to your kitchen appliances. Even though electric knives are not considered necessities, we are certain that once you slice a turkey or roast with one you will never want to go back to manual cutting again.
With the information we have provided in these reviews and the buyer’s guide, we have given you the tools you need to make an informed choice that will really be a great addition to your kitchen tools. Brands like Oster, Cuisinart, Hamilton Beach and more have jumped onto the electric knife rebirth and have provided models of their own that are of good quality.