Electric Smoker Comparison
Electric Smoker Buying Guide
What is Electric Smoker?
There are both pros and cons to purchasing an electric smoker, just like with any purchase that is made. If you love to grill out and try new things, an electric smoker is right up your alley. It is a terrific way to prepare foods in a different and delicious way that you just may become addicted to. Below we have outlined both the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing an electric smoker.
Electric Smoker Advantages
An electric smoker is a cooker that you can set and then not have to fuss with it much at all until the food is done. Once you learn how to use one, you will see the ease in which you can create all kinds of delicious foods without having to stand over the grill or stove. We have listed many of the advantages that you will have if you purchase an electric smoker.
- Instant on with no waiting – There is a heating element that is powered that comes on, ready to go as soon as the flip is switched. Once you flip it on, add the wood chips and you’re all set to start cooking.
- Easy heat and smoke managing – once the smoker reaches a certain temperature that has been programmed, smoke is produced. Managing the heat and smoke with an electric smoker is very easy for most models.
- Easy Maintenance – Take care of your electric smoker by not leaving it outside in the elements, and by keeping it clean by wiping it down inside and out and you’re done. Maintenance on electric smokers is very easy.
- Great for homes where outdoor space is limited – if you’re not allowed to use live grills or smokers, electric models are the perfect alternative to still get that great smoker taste. Just make sure that your patio is well-ventilated.
- Great All Year Round – If you purchase an electric smoker to use all year round, make sure to get the cabinet variety that looks like a little refrigerator. Smoke the food within fully closed areas that are protected against wind and cold weather, therefore they can be used all season long even in the wintertime because the electric smoker keeps its core temperature high. Do not use the smoker in the rain, but using it on a back deck or porch if it is not getting wet is fine.
Electric Smoker Disadvantages
There are a few disadvantages to using an electric smoker. It is important to be aware of these things so you know what is potentially possible. There are not that many disadvantages and they certainly don’t outweigh the advantages. Most can be compensated for.
- Limited cooking space – Electric smokers have limited cooking space, but there are several that have as much as 730 square inches of cooking space which can provide food for a large family gathering or some other function. You may not be able to have as much space as a regular grill, but it is worth it to make adjustments where necessary to feed as many as possible.
- Electronic failure is possible – Due to the nature of electronics, heating elements and rods as well as digital controls can go bad over time. Most of the electronic problems that can occur can be fixed if they go wrong but there is that possibility that they could develop problems over time.
- Not always adequate for large pieces of meat – If you want to cook ribs, brisket, pork or some other large piece of meat, you will want to look for units that have the heat and room to cook these larger pieces which may mean you need to spend more for the smoker you choose to get.
Creating Smoke in the Electric Smoker
Most of the time, you will only need a little bit of wood chips to get the amount of smoke you are looking for. Many electric smoker models will have easy loading trays or boxes that allow you to add chips even when the smoker is hot. Being able to add chips in this way is a very big plus.
Regulating your smoke profile is usually going to be up to personal preference. Some people like there to be a lot of smoke inside the smoker while it is cooking the meat. Others want just a little bit. The beauty of electric smokers is that you can much more easily regular this smoke and get the desired amount with relatively little effort.
Smokers usually have air vents that are adjustable, that can help increase or decrease the amount of smoke. If you love super smoky tasting meat, be sure to keep the vents closed and add more chips.
If you educate yourself on the features of electric smokers, you will have an easier time with sorting through all of the choices available to find the one that will fit your cooking needs the best. Electric smokers provide another way to cook meat and other food in a special and delicious way.
If you want to make sure that you get your money’s worth on a good quality electric smoker, do your homework and learn what you need to look for and look at customer reviews as well to see how the smoker is performing in real life applications. Even if you have never used an electric smoker, they are not difficult to learn how to use and the delicious foods that you will cook will impress your family and friends
- Masterbuilt – http://masterbuilt.com/
- Char-Broil – http://www.charbroil.com/
- Smoke Hollow – http://www.olp-inc.com/