Top 10 Gas Lawn Mowers
|Gas Lawn Mowers||Engine (cc)||Blade Length (in)||Drive|
|Husqvarna 22||163||22||Rear Wheel|
|Husqvarna LC121FH||163||21||Rear Wheel|
Gas Lawn Mower Comparison
Gas Lawn Mower Buying Guide
Why Gas Lawn Mowers are a Good Choice
There are many reasons why a gas powered mower is the perfect choice for all of your mowing needs. We have outlined many of the common reasons below.
- Gas powered mowers are the most powerful walk behind mower available.
- Gas powered mowers have more power which enables them to support larger deck widths. This means they have a wider cutting path than other types of mowers. A wider cutting path means fewer passes and finishing the job faster as well as save time and money.
- The powerful motor a gas powered lawn mower has means that the engine will have no problem cutting through St. Augustine or Bermuda grass and other thick, tough grass. It will also do well on dense patches in your yard without struggling.
- Gas lawn mowers handle uneven ground much better than other types of mowers.
- Self propelled, gas powered lawn mowers are less expensive than the electric counterparts are, and there is no battery to worry about running low.
- Gas lawn mowers cover more ground than an electric lawn mower can. It is easy for a gas lawn mower to mow as much as a ½ acre or more with just one tank of gas. If the property you are mowing is larger than ½ an acre and the gas runs out, you only have to wait minutes while you refill the tank rather than having to wait hours while the battery recharges.
- Gas powered mowers have come a long way and are not as difficult to start as they once were. Many of the top brands offer a 1-2 start guarantee that states that the mower will start easily on one or two pulls or they will fix or replace it.
There are several things you will want to look for when it comes to the gas lawn mower that you purchase. If the mower you are considering has these features, you can be confident that you are getting a good product.
- Easy to steer and push – You want to look for a mower that is balanced and easy to steer and handle. Heavy duty wheels and easy to use controls make this possible. Self-propelled mowers are easy to handle as well; the best ones moving without engaging the motor.
- Variety of Discharge Options – Some gas mowers have side discharge only, but some of the better models also offer rear bag and mulching attachments. This 3-in-1 capability allows the user to choose which was to deal with the grass clipping rather than being locked into one way.
- Easy to Fill Gas and Oil – Getting a mower that has easy to reach and fill gas and oil locations make it much easier to keep it in working order. Adding gas and oil is a regular part of maintaining a gas lawn mower. One that has difficult to access spouts or caps can be a real pain to deal with.
- Easy to remove and replace Air Filter – Check to be sure that the cover to the air filter is easy to remove so you can check it and replace it if necessary. The higher end mowers often have a pleated style paper air filter that can trap a lot of dirt and dust, making them ideal for dirty mowing conditions (lots of dirt/grass areas)
- Blade Brake Clutch – Adding this to your mower can add about 75 to 100 dollars to the cost of the mower but it is a very convenient feature to have if you find yourself stopping the mower often to remove things from the mower’s path. The blade brake clutch allows users to disengage the mower’s drive system and stop the blade so you can walk away from the mower with the engine running. This is useful so you are not shutting off the mower and starting it repeatedly when you need to move things out of the way.
- Wash-Out Fitting – Many mowers have a wash-out nozzle that will enable users to connect a hose and wash out grass clippings from under the deck. Higher end mowers have a quick-connect fitting that will allow the user to attach the hose and then snap the nozzle onto the deck conveniently. This feature is a great way to keep the mower clean between mowing tasks.
- Front Caster Wheels – A mower that has this feature will allow the mower to pivot a rear drive mower in a way that is similar to how a shopping cart moves. This is perfect for providing a lot of maneuverability. The drawback to this type of mower feature is that it makes adjusting the mower’s cutting height very inconvenient and difficult since the front wheels will have to be independently adjusted.
- Tall Rear Wheels – A mower that has large rear wheels is much easier to maneuver over rough surfaces. Due to this taller wheel height, the rear deck adjust levers may not be able to be reached.
There are many benefits and advantages to purchasing a gas powered lawn mower. They are much stronger and longer lasting than electric or cordless mowers which makes them a more common choice over other types.
There are different quality levels of mowers on the market today. Sorting through them all can be a challenge if you don’t know what to look for. We’ve taken care of that for you.
The purpose of this buyer’s guide is to provide buyers with the important features and specifics of a gas powered lawn mower so you will know which ones are worth considering and which ones are better passed over.
With the right information, you will be able to eliminate the lawn mowers that don’t fit into the needs and preferences you have for taking care of your lawn. We’ve also provided reviews on three terrific gas lawn mower choices that come out on top when compared to other popular models that are available.
Having the right gas lawn mower will make taking care of your yard much less tiresome. Your lawn will look terrific and you won’t have to wear yourself out achieving that look.
- Husqvarna – http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/
- Lawn Boy – https://www.lawnboy.com/en/
- Poulan – http://www.poulanpro.com/