We spent 14 days researching 15 different types of lawn fertilizers and found that ingredients, performance reputation, and coverage capacity were most important. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food scored high above the other lawn fertilizers we researched in every category, making it our top pick. In addition to fertilizing the lawn, it contains insect control so there was a reduction in insects including fleas, chiggers, ants, spiders and much more. The flea control was a welcome benefit since we have dogs. It provided coverage for 5000 square feet of lawn and was easy to use especially with a spreader.
If you want to have the nicest lawn you can possibly get, you will want to find a good quality lawn fertilizer to use. To have the greenest lawn possible it needs extra nutrients that aren’t normally present in the regular nature given elements such as oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon.
There are many different lawn fertilizers on the market today for gardeners to choose from. With so many choices it may be difficult to figure out which is the best one for your needs. There are chemical based options as well as organic options that you can choose from.
The purpose of this buyer’s guide and the reviews below is to help you sort through all of the different kinds so you can make a decision that will produce the kind of healthy, lush lawn you will be proud of.
Top 10 Lawn Fertilizers
|Rank||Picture||Lawn Fertilizer||Quantity||Fertilizer Analysis|
|2||Dr. Earth||18.00 lb||9-3-5|
|3||Hasta Gro||128 fl oz||12-4-8|
|4||Golden Tree||128 fl oz||0-0-2.25|
|6||Snap Pac||12.75 lb||26-0-4|
|10||Simple Lawn||32.00 fl oz||20-4-8|
If you want the kind of lawn that will make you the envy of your neighbors, you will need to give it some help. Nature provides some things that your lawn needs, but to combat the effects of weather conditions, heat and bugs, a good lawn fertilizer, preferably with insect control, will need to be added.
The three top rated lawn fertilizers featured above are all excellent products that can help you achieve the kind of beautiful, lush lawn you want. They are designed to provide your lawn with the additional nutrients that it needs.
Scott’s turf builder protects your lawn from a large array of insects that can cause all kinds of problems with your lawn. Dr. Earth provides a natural option that many people prefer. Hasta Gro has additional ingredients that make the lawn fertilizer work even better. All three products are lawn fertilizers that can help you get the lawn of your dreams without a lot of excess work.
Read more about lawn fertilizers below in our buyer’s guide and get more information on how to choose the right one for your needs. This information will help you understand what you need to look for when searching for a good quality lawn fertilizer.
Lawn Fertilizer Comparison Chart
Dr. Earth 715
|Feeds Lawn||Feeds Lawn||Feeds Lawn||Feeds Lawn||Builds strong, |
|Feeds Lawn||Feeds Lawn||Feeds Lawn|
|Quantity||13.8 lb||18 lb||1 Gallon||1 Gallon||10 lb||12.75 lb||25 lb||5 lb||40 lb||32 fl oz|
|St. Augustine, |
St. Augustine Grass,
|up to |
Lawn Fertilizer Buying Guide
What is Lawn Fertilizer?
There are some telltale signs that your lawn will give you to let you know that it needs to be fertilized. Signs that it needs some extra help include the color of your lawn looking pale green, it has traces of yellow in places, you notice that it isn’t growing or that it is growing very slowly and lastly, it has been 8 weeks or more since you added fertilizer. A healthy lawn is not going to be yellowing in places nor will it be a pale, washed out green. If any of these things are going on, it’s time to get out the lawn fertilizer and get started repairing your lawn so you can see that green, lush grass you want.
There are several different kinds of lawn fertilizer available that can help your yard. They are available in many different forms as well. Choosing the right type of lawn fertilizer depends on several factors. These include personal preference, what problems you are dealing with when it comes to your lawn, such as harmful insects, and even how much lawn you are trying to fix. We’ve listed the different types of lawn fertilizer below.
- Liquid Fertilizer – This type of lawn fertilizer works very fast because it is absorbed much quicker than other varieties. The leaves and roots of the plants and grass absorb the liquid and will need to be reapplied about every 3 weeks or so. The majority of liquid fertilizer comes as a concentrate that will need to be mixed with water. Do not put concentrated lawn fertilizer on your lawn without diluting it. Some of the concentrated fertilizers get mixed by attaching the container to a hose, which will then add the needed water as you spray. Others will need to be mixed first and then you will apply with a sprayer. Lawn fertilizers are most often seen for plants and flowers, but there is liquid lawn fertilizer for lawns too.
- Granular Fertilizer – This type of lawn fertilizer will be applied dry. It can be spread with a spreader or you can use a shaker type container and spread it yourself. This is a very common form of fertilizer for lawns and also gardens, mostly because it is easier to do large areas with the dry fertilizer. You can see exactly where you are spreading them and also how much you are using. There are two different kinds of granular fertilizers:
- Quick release – This is also called WSN or water soluble nitrogen. This type of lawn fertilizer will last for about 4 weeks but that is dependent on the weather conditions such as rainfall and temperature.
- Slow release – This type is also called WIN or water insoluble nitrogen. This type has been coated in sulfur and will last about 8 weeks. The ones coated in polymer can last as long as 12 weeks. The length of time they last will depend on how much it rains. With these types of lawn fertilizers, you will not have to reapply them as frequently. They tend to have more growth results as well. With the slow release variety, there is less worry about you burning your lawn.
Sometimes people don’t like using chemical based lawn fertilizers and want to use a more organic option. There are plenty of organic lawn fertilizers on the market that might appeal to you if this is the route you want to take. One thing to note about organic fertilizers is that they will have to be reapplied often since they do not contain the slow releasing abilities that a chemical based fertilizer has. We’ve listed many of the popular organic fertilizers below.
Benefits of Going Green
There are some advantages to using organize lawn fertilizers. We’ve listed three of the more popular benefits that users of organic fertilizers will notice.
- Living Green – Using organic lawn fertilizer will help the environment because none of the chemicals that are in regular fertilizers will be added to the soil and ground water.
- Food Tastes Better – The fruits and vegetables you eat will taste much better when they come from gardens that have used organic fertilizers.
- Healthy Soil – Using organic fertilizers will prevent the soil from becoming damaged. This leads to healthy lawns that look lush and green.
Using a lawn fertilizer, whether it is chemical based or organic will benefit your lawn in many ways. It can get rid of weeds, damaging bugs and take care of other problems that can keep your lawn from looking its best.
The first step in getting the right lawn fertilizer is knowing the challenges your yard is facing. Are there bald spots? Is it turning yellow in places? Is the color of the grass a pale, washed out green? Do you have a pest problem? Does it seem to not grow anymore? Any of these things and more can indicate a problem with your lawn. In most cases using a good quality lawn fertilizer can correct these problems and help get your lawn back on track.
Lawn fertilizers are not difficult to use. Instructions are simple and once you choose the one you want to use, all you have to do is follow those instructions, keep it watered according to the recommendations on the bag and watch your lawn be transformed.
The information in this buyer’s guide will help you understand the different kinds of lawn fertilizers so you can choose one that will work well with the kind of issues your lawn is facing.
- Scotts – https://www.scotts.com/smg/gosite/Scotts-v2/home
- Dr. Earth – http://drearth.com/
- Medina Hasta Gro – http://www.medinaag.com/product_details.php?pid=NTc=