That was our top criteria for selecting the best lawn sweeper.
If you are ready to make quick work of removing leaves, the 44” Lawn Sweeper by Agri-Fab scored high marks in all categories and is our top pick.
Top 10 Lawn Sweepers
|Picture||Lawn Sweeper||Sweeper Width|
Lawn Sweeper Comparison
Ohio Steel 50SWP26 View
Ohio Steel 42TSC
Ohio Steel 42LS
|78 x 52 x 55||69 x 53 x 38||81 x 71 x 51||53 x 37 x 25||42 x 39 x 23||52.5 x 31 x 33||67 x 51 x 24||75 x 45 x 23||44 x 30 x 28||71 x 63 x 31|
|Warranty||3 Years||1 Year||2 Years||2 Years||2 Years||3 Years||3 Years||1 Year||1 Year||2 Years|
Lawn Sweeper Buying Guide
What is a Lawn Sweeper?
If you own a riding mower, then you already know that you can do more with it than just cut grass. There are a number of attachments available that allow you to do even more comprehensive yard work year-round. A lawn sweeper is just one of the many tools at your disposal, and it allows you to clear your yard of excess debris, giving you a more pristine lawn throughout all the seasons.
In this buyer’s guide we’ll not only look at all the features of a lawn sweeper, but we’ll also discuss some other lawn mower attachments that you may want to consider as well. Once you have your arsenal all set, you’re going to see that your lawn looks better than ever, and you’re going to be delighted to show it off to your neighbors.
When you want to get the most out of your riding mower, then it’s time to select your attachments. When you have the right tools, your mower will be able to perform a number of tasks, such as spreading, aerating, hauling raking, plowing, and so much more. Here are the most popular attachments that folks get for front-engine mowers:
- Lawn Sweeper: This is the most popular attachment, and the subject of this buyer’s guide for good reason. The two most common types are the lawn sweeper and the grass catcher. These not only collect clippings while you mow, they’re also great for picking up leaves in the fall, leaving your lawn looking immaculate.
- Tow-Behind Spreader: This attachment is a tow-behind spreader that evenly spreads seed or fertilizer over your lawn in the spring and fall. This is great for those who like to maintain the beauty of their lawn year-round.
- Aerators: These are used to ensure that the fertilizer is getting to the roots in your grass, as it punches holes in the turf so that your lawn can get the nutrients and water that it craves.
- Dethatchers: This tool is used to help you remove dead grass that is blocking the oxygen from getting to the roots of your lawn. This is a great accessory to keep your lawn healthy and nourished.
- Dump Cart: Should you have a large garden or yard then a dump cart is going to make your life a lot easier. These dump carts are designed to transport landscaping tools and other materials so that you don’t have to make many trips. This is great especially when you need to haul things like seedings and fertilizer.
- Dozer Blade: The dozer blade is a handy tool for snow removal.
- Snow Thrower: If you get a lot of snow, then it’s best to upgrade to a snow thrower. This is a front-mounted accessory that moves higher volumes of snow.
- Snow Cab: This is perfect for the winter, as it helps to protect you, the driver, from the elements.
A lawn sweeper is designed to operate using brushes underneath it which pick up any excess lawn debris and then flip this into the hopper. This is similar to the process that you get with a vacuum cleaner, but instead, the brushes turn manually as you push a walk-behind sweeper, or as you attach it to the back of your lawn tractor. It’s best to use a lawn sweeper on your yard after mowing so that you can clean fallen debris and leaves. If you accumulate too much dead grass after mowing then it blocks the sunlight from your lawn and this can eventually kill it. That’s why it’s so important to sweep your lawn after each mowing session.
A lawn sweeper is also known as a leaf sweeper, and it’s the ideal garden tool for the mechanical removal of debris. The rotating brush mechanism is designed to sweep up this debris then throw it into the hopper. To get the most out of your sweeper, you want to make sure that you read all the instructions that come included so that you always use the sweeper properly. Failing to use the sweeper properly will result in insufficient leaf pickup, and this could be detrimental to your lawn. Also, to get the most out of your sweeper you want to make sure that you use it on a frequent basis so that your lawn gets the sunlight and oxygen that it needs to thrive year-round.
There are various types of lawn sweepers, and the one that you choose should be the one that is best suited to your type of lawn and method of mowing. All lawn sweepers are lightweight, and durable enough to withstand the outdoor environment. If you get a push lawn sweeper, you’ll see that it resembles a simple wheeled manual lawn mower, and it’s maneuvered by hand to pick up excess leaves. The forward pushing action will transfer power from the wheels to the brush mechanism using a gearing system. This will cause the sweeper to rotate and the debris is naturally picked up and thrown into the hopper that is mounted on the machine.
A powered lawn sweeper on the other hand resembles a push lawn sweeper but the brush mechanism is powered by an electric motor. The other option, for those who own a tractor mower, is the tow lawn sweeper which is towed behind your vehicle. If you have a garden ATV then this is the perfect choice, as you simply attach it to the back of your mower and then clear debris with ease. This is also ideal if you have a larger lawn that requires more time to mow and clean. This kind of lawn sweeper is also wider and has a greater hopper capacity so that you can pick up more leaves.
No matter what kind of sweeper you choose, you’re going to see that this is a wonderful alternative to raking and leaf blowers. Also, it’s a more affordable option than a lawn mower bagger or grass bagger, which are expensive and have a smaller capacity for picking up leaves.
Not only does owning and operating a lawn sweeper keep your lawn beautiful throughout the seasons, it also keeps it healthy. Most people don’t realize that when debris is obstructing your lawn it makes it harder for your lawn to obtain sunlight and nutrients. That’s why it’s so important to invest in a lawn sweeper that will keep everything clean. It can be strenuous to have to rake your lawn day after day, and that’s why a lawn sweeper makes the task so much easier. There are numerous different kinds of sweepers to choose from, and this can be daunting for someone who is buying for the first time. That’s why we highlighted the top rated lawn sweepers, so that you can know right away what customers benefit from most. You can be sure that when you buy one of these sweepers that you’re getting a piece of equipment that is going to get the job done and stand the test of time.
It’s important to keep in mind that almost all lawn sweepers are lightweight and easy to use, so the one that you choose really is going to come down to what method of sweeping is right for you. If you have a bad back, then a push sweeper is probably not going to be the right option, and you may want to consider investing in a lawn mower, so that you can easily attach the sweeper in the back. For those who like vigorous exercise in the outdoors, choosing a push sweeper is going to be a great option for you.