Patio Umbrella Stands Review
The best patio umbrella stand is sturdy, durable and has the weight you need to secure your umbrella safely in the event of wind gusts. Our pick, TropiShade Cast Iron Umbrella Stand, weighs 30 pounds and is a good choice for smaller umbrellas.
Introduction to the Patio Umbrella Stands
Patio umbrellas are terrific to have on your deck or patio but sometimes a strong wind can knock them over and cause quite a mess that has to be cleaned up. That is where a good quality umbrella stand can come in handy. There are many different varieties of umbrella stands available to choose from. They come in many different weights, styles and materials from resin to cast iron.
Choosing the right patio umbrella stand for your patio umbrella can be overwhelming if you don’t know what to look for. If you want to secure your patio umbrella, a good, sturdy stand is a must. We will help you make this process easier by educating you on the different types of umbrella stands available and how to choose the right one for your needs in this buyer’s guide.
This information will help you understand what is out there and how to sort through all the options so you can make an informed decision that will meet your needs.
Patio Umbrella Stands Summary
Patio umbrella stands are a beneficial piece of equipment that secures the patio umbrella safely so it doesn’t tip or get blown over on windy days. A patio umbrella that gets caught by the wind and blown over can break a patio table or harm someone. A good quality umbrella stand will prevent these potential accidents from happening.
The three top rated umbrella stands we have reviewed above are the kind of quality stands you want to look for when you are searching for the right stand for your needs. All three of them provide the security needed to keep your patio umbrella safely in place while adding decorative touches to your deck.
If none of the top choices featured above are what you are looking for, read the buyer’s guide below to get more information on the different types of umbrella stands that are available. You will learn what to look for and how to sort through all the different choices so you can make a decision on an umbrella stand that will meet your needs and match the tone of your outdoor area.
Patio Umbrella Stand Comparison
|1.38 – 1.50||1.50||1.50 – 2.00||1.00 – 1.75||1.00 – 1.75||1.00 – 2.00||1.25 – 1.89||1.50||1.50||1.00 – 2.13|
Patio Umbrella Stand Buying Guide
There are several things you will need to know before you start researching different patio umbrella stands. We have provided this information below to help the research process easier.
- The size of the canopy of your umbrella – Most umbrella canopies will range in size from 6 feet to 12 feet. The size of the canopy is important so you choose a base with a weight capacity that will securely hold the patio umbrella.
- Where will the umbrella stand be located? – A freestanding umbrella stand needs to be much heavier than resting inside the patio table provides. The table offers more stability than a freestanding stand does however, the best course of action is to place a base underneath the table so the umbrella has the benefit of both the table AND the stand.
- What is the diameter of the pole – The most common sized umbrella pole you will encounter is 1 ½” in diameter but poles can range anywhere from 1 1/8” all the way up to 3” in diameter.
When it comes to a freestanding umbrella stand, you want to match the size of the umbrella to the weight of the stand so it is sufficient enough to hold it in place safely. We have listed the typical weight recommendations for your stand.
- 6 foot to 7 ½ foot umbrella – This size umbrella needs a stand that weighs no less than 50 pounds.
- 8 foot to 11 foot umbrella – This size is best kept secure with a stand that weighs at least 75 pounds.
A stand that weighs 100 or more pounds will hold any freestanding umbrella securely. If you live in a windy region or you prefer to use the umbrella as a freestanding umbrella, you want to get this heavier stand. This will ensure the most safety and security.
Types of Umbrella Stands
There are many different types of umbrella stand available. We have listed the different kinds below.
- Rolling Umbrella Stand – If you want to be able to be able to move the umbrella from one place to another a rolling stand is a good choice. The base needs to be very heavy to keep it from tipping over. Having wheels on the base allows you to move the base around even if the stand weighs a lot. This type of umbrella stand is more expensive than those without wheels. The only reason to get one with wheels is if you prefer to move your umbrella around. The wheels roll easily and depending on the model, may have some that are locking. Fill the stand with gravel or sand to add the maximum weight. Most rolling stands can handle about 125 pounds of sand but it will vary with each model.
- Resin Umbrella Stand – There are several good characteristics of a resin umbrella stand. It won’t chip, peel or rust like cast iron can and is very durable. It does need to be filled with sand to get the appropriate weight but that is not difficult. Resin umbrella stands come in a variety of colors that will match or complement your patio umbrella. Resin stands are the most inexpensive of all the different choices. Another benefit to having a resin umbrella stand is that it will never leave rust stains or spots on your patio or deck. You can use water or sand to fill the stand but sand is a better choice due to the fact that in the fall it will need to be emptied to avoid the water freezing and then cracking the resin.
- Umbrella Planter Stand – Umbrella stands can come in many different varieties. One such variety is a side table/planter that has a hole in the center for the umbrella pole. This can add function to a really decorative piece of furniture. If you need to add extra weight to the table you can choose to use sand bags that are designed to add weight to an umbrella. Just place them in the bottom of the planter.
- Cantilever Umbrella Stand – This type of umbrella stand will require more weight than other types. You should expect to have at least 100 pounds of weight to securely hold the umbrella safely. Another name for the cantilever umbrella stand is an off-set patio umbrella stand. They are most often used in seating areas to provide shade. Stands of this nature that are filled with sand usually provide about 150 pounds of weight.
- Cast Iron Umbrella Stand – Cast iron is heavy, durable and long lasting. The umbrella stands that are made from cast iron are usually decorative and add style to your patio or deck. One of the only drawbacks to a cast iron umbrella stand is that they can peel and rust due to being exposed to the elements on a regular basis.
Cast iron has the weight but you will still need to ensure that there is enough weight to compensate for the size of the umbrella you are using the stand with. With cast iron you will need to watch out for rust stains and spots on your patio or deck. You could place a piece of plastic or something else underneath the base to prevent this from happening.
Patio umbrellas are a nice addition to your outdoor living space. They provide shade on hot, sunny days and make it much more enjoyable to be outside in the warm spring and summer months. Most people place their patio umbrellas in the middle of their patio tables but this doesn’t provide enough stability during windy days or storms.
A good quality umbrella base is a good way to keep your patio umbrella secure and safe. Umbrella bases come in many different styles and types. Even if you want to use the umbrella with your table, you can place a base underneath the table to secure the pole to that will prevent wind from catching the canopy and then overturning the table.
With all of these choices, it is important to have the right information to understand what is available and then you can determine which one is the right one for your preferences and needs. We have featured three top rated umbrella stands above that are durable and long lasting. Each one provides the security you are looking for. Which one you choose is a matter of personal preference since they all do the same job.
The first thing you need to do is determine the weight you need in relation to the size umbrella you are securing. Once you have that number you can decide on the material and style you want to purchase. The information in this guide will help make the whole process much simpler.
- Tropishade – http://www.tropishade.com/
- Abba patio – http://www.abbapatio.com/
- Outsunny – https://www.aosom.com/outsunny