We spent over 29 hours researching and testing 10 different kinds of sewing kits and found that variety of different items, size, and functionality were most important. The Evergreen Art Supply Sewing Kit scored high marks in each category and is our top pick. There are tons of great items in this sewing kit. It comes with a convenient carrying case so you can keep everything together. This is considered one of the best kits on the market because it is not filled with a bunch of items you won’t use. Whatever the sewing emergency is, you will be able to take care of it with this sewing kit.
Introduction to the Sewing Kits
Sewing kits can come in handy around the house, at the office, when traveling for business or while on vacation. The purpose of these small sewing kits is to take care of any clothing emergencies that require a few quick stitches or pinning.
You don’t have to worry about knowing what to put in a sewing kit on your own. There are many different kinds of sewing kits on the market that are already put together for you and include the staple items that would be most helpful in the event of a sewing emergency.
Modern sewing kits include all the items you may need to fix a missing button or a seam that has come loose. They are compact and easy to carry in your suitcase or even your purse or backpack. Sewing kits make terrific gifts as well; everyone appreciates something that solves a potential problem.
You will be very glad that you have this sewing kit when you see how much you use the items that are in it. It may not be your emergency, but you will be prepared to help someone else should the need arise. This buyer’s guide will help you determine a good quality, well stocked sewing kit so you can eliminate the ones that don’t have what you would most likely need.
Sewing Kits Summary
A good quality, well stocked sewing kit is a good thing to have on hand no matter where you are. They are designed to be easy to carry in a purse, backpack, briefcase or to keep in a drawer at work and at home. Modern sewing kits such as the ones we have reviewed above have quality supplies that you would need in the event of a clothing emergency such as a torn seam, missing button or other problem.
Each of the kits we have here is filled with the items you would need to take care of various problems while away from home. With plenty of thread, scissors, needles, safety pins and more, you will never be stuck with a clothing emergency and no way to fix it again.
The buyers guide below will provide you with the information you need to consider and look at when comparing sewing kits and choosing the one that is the best for you. Even though many sewing kits may have the same type of items in them, you want to look for the ones that have high quality items that you will use and not just filler items.
The right information will help you sort through the different choices and steer you toward the sewing kits that will last a long time and that will have the tools you need to handle any kind of clothing emergency.
Sewing Kit Comparison
Stitch & Mend
Sewing Kit Buying Guide
About Sewing Kit
The Boy Scout motto of “Be Prepared” is good advice that everyone should follow. One way that you can be prepared for emergencies with clothing or other things is to have a good quality sewing kit that has all the items you need to take care of things like buttons that come off, seams that rip, holes and other clothing emergencies that can happen.
Modern sewing kits are small and compact enough to be kept in kitchen or bathroom drawers, backpacks while on camping trips, suitcases during business trips or while on vacation and even in your purse. With a good quality, well stocked sewing kit on hand you will never be stuck waiting in a bathroom or hotel room waiting for someone to bring you items you need to fix your clothing emergencies, you’ll have everything you need right at your fingertips.
Items in a Good Quality Sewing Kit
There are many items that you will find in lower quality sewing kits that are pretty useless or they are of such poor quality that they only last through one emergency if that. We have put together a list of the most common items that are in a good quality sewing kit. When you are researching different sewing kits make sure that you look for the ones that include the following items so you are prepared for any type of clothing emergency.
- Extra buttons – losing a button is one of the most common things that can happen to a piece of clothing you are wearing. Having several extra buttons on hand can make fixing a missing button quick and easy. If there is room and your sewing kit doesn’t already have them, consider adding snaps and zippers too.
- Safety Pins – Safety pins can be real life savers to keep things pinned together in the event of a tear. Keep multiple sizes on hand and not just the tiny ones.
- Sewing Scissors – scissors are always important. Most sewing kits come with a pair of sewing scissors. Make sure the kits you are considering have a good quality, steel pair of scissors for all your cutting needs while out and about.
- Measuring Tape –you never know when you will need to check the measurement of something. Make sure your sewing kit has a flexible tape measure.
- High Quality Needles – Needles come in handy for replacing buttons, sewing seams, fixing fallen hems and much more. Look for needles that are well made and that have larger eye openings for easier threading. Most kits have a pack of needles that are contained in their own case for safer handling.
- Threaders – Don’t struggle to thread the tiny hole of a needle eye. Threaders make quick work of threading a needle for doing sewing repairs. Many kits have just one threader but you may want to look for the models that have at least two in case one is misplaced.
- Seam ripper – If the seam on a piece of clothing is already ripping out you may need a seam ripper to rip out the existing messed up seam so it can be smoothly sewn back together.
- Metal thimble – thimbles are great for small sewing jobs so you don’t hurt your fingers pressing the needle through fabric. Some kits have a cheap plastic thimble but you want to look for the kits that have metal thimbles as they are much easier to use, more effective and longer lasting.
- Straight Pins – if you need to pin up a hem so it can be re-sewn, you will need straight pins. Make sure that you get pins that are sturdy and of good quality. You also want them to be on the larger side, which are much easier to work with.
- Thread – All sewing kits have extra thread that can be used to repair tears, ripped seams and much more. Look for a sewing kit that has plenty of thread in the event of an emergency. Thread most often comes in white, black and several other common colors as well. You may want to have some extra spools of brown, navy, black and white which are very common colors used in clothing of all kinds.
- Duct tape – This may sound like it’s out of place and chances are you will not find a commercial sewing kit that includes this, but having a good roll of duct tape can be critical for quick repairs that may come up. Make a point of adding a roll of duct tape to your sewing kit. You’ll be very glad to have it on hand when you need it.
- Container or case – Having all your sewing needs together in one, easy to carry place makes them convenient to bring with you on business trips and other forms of travel that take you away from home.
If you have ever been stuck somewhere with a critical button missing or a rip in your clothing, you know firsthand how important a good quality sewing kit is in getting you back into commission quickly and without embarrassment.
The purpose of this guide is to provide you with the information you need to choose a good quality sewing kit that can be taken on trips, kept in your car, at the office and in your home. Use the information above to ensure that sewing kit you are considering is a good quality, well stocked kit and you will find that you are prepared for anything
- Evergreen Art Supply https://www.evergreenartsupply.com/